Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 31st Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 36,656Posts
    • 154,694Thanks
    silvercar
    Keep getting !!!8217; instead of '
    • 31st Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    Keep getting !!!8217; instead of ' 31st Jan 18 at 5:20 PM
    Keep getting !!!8217; instead of '.

Even my typing can't be that bad.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debate House Prices & the Economy, House Buying, Renting & Selling, Mortgages and Endowments, In My Home incl DIY, Overseas Holidays & Student boards.
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.
Page 3
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 4th Feb 18, 9:28 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 2,010 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    I am getting it too. Using iPad and guess it may be from the suggestive text bar.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 4th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Robin9
    Other than this quirk 99% of the Spam has gone.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 5th Feb 18, 9:32 AM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 7,805 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Nope - it's not only Apple. My signature used to have the symbol for a Ukrainian hryvnia in it but that's being translated as !!!8372; and when I put it back into the signature and save I'm told I'm swearing! I'm on Windows 10 ...
    Womble #7 - Running Total £2.02 $0.12 €1.67 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10
    • Ted Bloke
    • By Ted Bloke 5th Feb 18, 10:10 AM
    • 20,461 Posts
    • 21,481 Thanks
    Ted Bloke
    Me too with various punctuation marks, thought it was my iPad, then went to start a thread but found already started.

he said !!!8220;Jesus forgives!!!8221;. You wish!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Witch hunt saboteur. Sorry my posts so long - not time write shorter ones. A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel - “The very first step we must take is the acquisition of enough self-respect and self-confidence to say that we have met an enemy and that he is not us, but someone else.” De asini callidi nauseatum sum
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 5th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 4,815 Posts
    • 29,216 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    Flock Inn L it's 'appened to me!
    Every fairy story always ends the same way
    Hope, then tragedy at the end of the world!
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 5th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 40,439 Posts
    • 6,351,216 Thanks
    One-Eye
    It is NOT just down to Apple iOS and it is NOT just new posts.
    I suspect that Unicode characters have been turned off in a bid to prevent non-English character-based Spam.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I think Cornucopia is correct.

THIS POST dates from 2011 and was last edited in 2012. It has never been edited on an iOS platform. It displayed OK for nearly 6 years but in the last couple of weeks it is filled with problems.

8216 is left double quotation and 8217 is right double quotation but only the ASCII neutral (vertical) quotation marks are acceptable now. The same is true with 8211 En Dash which is not allowed but hyphen and Em Dash are OK.

If you copy text into your posts from other sources including Word, Wordpad and other websites you can also get the problem where you have used punctuation that MSE no longer recognises.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 5th Feb 18, 6:22 PM
    • 366 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    emptybox
    It's OK - Haven't tried it. ''' ---
    "trying quotation marks"
    Last edited by emptybox; 05-02-2018 at 6:25 PM.
    • Ted Bloke
    • By Ted Bloke 7th Feb 18, 12:45 PM
    • 20,461 Posts
    • 21,481 Thanks
    Ted Bloke
    A-test-using-hyphens posted from iPad
    Originally posted by Glad
    It is still going on. Hyphens, quotation marks end other punctuation marks probably.

I notice at least, at least I think, it does not happen when first you post if you post without modifications. But if you open your post again to add a comma, it changes all these marks into this code.
    Witch hunt saboteur. Sorry my posts so long - not time write shorter ones. A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel - “The very first step we must take is the acquisition of enough self-respect and self-confidence to say that we have met an enemy and that he is not us, but someone else.” De asini callidi nauseatum sum
    • Pyxis
    • By Pyxis 7th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 33,151 Posts
    • 122,142 Thanks
    Pyxis
    Testing, a -post-'with hyphens- and ''' apostrophes, etc, and ..... a line of ...........

Edit 1
    That's my first post.

Trying ' ' ' some. - - - more stuff .............

Edit 2 now modifying the first bit

Edit 3 that all seems to be ok now!

Edit 4 now pasting a sentence from a BBC website:

"Mr Musk has decided this should be his old cherry-red Tesla roadster with a space-suited mannequin strapped in the driver's seat."

That's all ok too.

Strange.

Edit 5 this is a copy/paste from an article someone else posted on a thread here, from another website:

A small gesture that we may not think make any difference could
    actually make our friends!!!8217; day. All it takes is a cute little card with
    a nice personal message in it to put a smile on their face. This
    could be an e-card that you send to them online, a store bought
    card, or better yet, a home made one that oozes thoughtfulness,

Edit 6..... yup, there,it is! One apostrophe, which I have now highlighted.

So #46 seems to be right.
    Last edited by Pyxis; 07-02-2018 at 1:21 PM.
    (I just lurve spiders! )
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom
    Founder Member: WIMPS ANONYMOUS
    • DAKOTA45
    • By DAKOTA45 9th Feb 18, 8:18 AM
    • 502 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    DAKOTA45
    Apostrophe!!!8217;s on ipad!!!8217;s Tes!!!8217;t. Nope, mine!!!8217;s OK

Correction! No it!!!8217;s not, only showed when posted.
    Originally posted by Misslayed
    I started getting these…

I think it's a hack as soon afterwards, my posts disappeared from the original thread and were pasted onto another thread where it was then subject to a lot of abuse...
    • One-Eye
    • By One-Eye 9th Feb 18, 1:32 PM
    • 40,439 Posts
    • 6,351,216 Thanks
    One-Eye
    Oh Dear - seems like MSE aren't the only ones with apostrophe trouble.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5791239
    • sulphate
    • By sulphate 12th Feb 18, 7:38 PM
    • 1,164 Posts
    • 3,368 Thanks
    sulphate
    I’m getting this as well but only when I edit posts. I’m using an iPhone.
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 13th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3,057 Posts
    • 1,760 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    I’m on iOS 11.2 if that makes any difference.
    • cepheus
    • By cepheus 13th Feb 18, 3:10 PM
    • 18,563 Posts
    • 18,785 Thanks
    cepheus
    I think you can remove the numbers it if you go to 'advanced' before posting. You can with windows 10 anyway.
    Fascism doesn't arrive in fancy dress worn by grotesques and monsters as played out in endless re-runs of the Nazis. Fascism arrives as your friend, restore honour, make you proud, protect & clean up the neighbourhood, remind you of how great you were, clear out the venal and the corrupt, remove anything you feel is unlike you: Michael Rosen
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,284Posts Today

7,002Users online

Martin's Twitter