Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    • 169Posts
    • 357Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    My journey to a debt free life
    • 31st Jan 18, 12:15 AM
    My journey to a debt free life 31st Jan 18 at 12:15 AM
    Well Iíve been reading everyoneís diaryís and thought itís such a good idea I would start one myself,Iím hoping to use it as a way to record my journey to freedom from debt and also to have somewhere to come and just offload stuff
    My financial meltdown happened two weeks ago when I realised I just canít afford to pay my debts off properly,Iím sinking under the strain and jut adding more and more onto the total because itís just not sustainable. I came here and was given some brilliant advice then I went away and procrastinated for a week while pooping myself some more about what I am about to do I finally got my !!!! in gear this week and started the ball rollin by registering on the SC site and partially filling out the budget form,I then came unstuck because some of the info wasnít to hand,Iíve now sorted that and can proceed with finishing the budget form which I am doing tomorrow,by the end of this week I want to have contacted SC and set the ball rolling to set up a DMP.
    I then had problems with my online account for one of my creditors but I sorted that out this morning whilst also finding out exactly what I owe them,it was actually not as much as I thought but still too much so swings and roundabouts !!!128522; actually sorting that out today took me ten minutes but itís taken me days to do it,I just get overwhelmed and put stuff off then before I know it another week has gone by and nothing has changed. Still Iíve done what I set out to do today and tomorrow is budget form day then I will see where I go from there
    In other news I changed my phone provider on Saturday so now have a sim only deal for £9 a month instead of £20.02 plus I cancelled the insurance at £6 a month,Iíve also paid for the phone now too so there is a small saving,two weeks ago my phone contract was costing me £35 so Iím quite pleased with this new deal.
    Ok I think thatís enough waffling for one day and I need to try and get some sleep,letís see what tomorrow brings
Page 5
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Feb 18, 11:28 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I cantwait for spring,this winter has been awful,ive never had so many bugs
    Just keep swimming
    Payment a day challenge = £58.76
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 10th Feb 18, 11:39 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    ploppy57
    I think being stressed can make you run down & lower your immune system. OH & I used to forever be ill, but touch wood seem to be not so bad now. We do take vitamin D3 now though & also vitamin C. Definitely think they help, especially the D3. Have you had the flu jab? Think that helps us as well. I had the dreaded virus Nov/Dec time but that was it for this winter. I am also a great believer in The Law of Attraction, all about positive thinking etc...think changing my mindset really helped.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,488. Going SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £35/£1000.
    Christmas 2018 challenge... had to start again/£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Feb 18, 12:02 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well done on the banana bread! Hope the cold goes soon, eventually everyone will have had it and it will be spring with summer on the way. A bit hard to believe in right now but it will come!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Hope you feel better soon, this winter has been awful for colds / flu / virus
    Originally posted by Stayathomemum36
    I think being stressed can make you run down & lower your immune system. OH & I used to forever be ill, but touch wood seem to be not so bad now. We do take vitamin D3 now though & also vitamin C. Definitely think they help, especially the D3. Have you had the flu jab? Think that helps us as well. I had the dreaded virus Nov/Dec time but that was it for this winter. I am also a great believer in The Law of Attraction, all about positive thinking etc...think changing my mindset really helped.
    Originally posted by ploppy57
    I definitely thinks stress afffects your immune system,I have just had the most stressful few weeks of my life and have been ill for pretty much all of it with one thing or another,I work for the NHS so I have the flu jab every year, we get badgered into it so donít get a lot of choice,Iím getting better with my mindset,I certainly feel more positive then I did a few weeks ago
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 11th Feb 18, 1:58 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    So here I am at 1.24 in the morning Im so tired but cant sleep because my chest is rattling too much and I cant get comfy,this is driving me nuts,I have two days now to get better before work on Tuesday,there is no way I can take more time off its just not possible,Ive had a week off now and thats too much already,I seem to have got worse since I started taking the antibiotics
    While sitting here I have come up with a list of things to do to try and save some money on food
    So today DD did my food shopping for me as I was too ill,it came to the grand total of £16 so Im quite pleased with that as it did include wash powder which is always a biggish spend even though I only get shops own brand
    I bought ingredients to make a Gnocchi and butternut squash bake which will last me for 4 meals so thats 4 days of evening meals taken care of unless DD decides to have some but she usually cooks her own food
    I also managed to replicate a tomato pasta sauce a few weeks ago it!s literally a small tin of tomatoes with smokey paprika a bit of salt and some sweetener mixed in then stirred into some pasta and veg its really cheap and not fattening although I do sometimes grate a bit of cheese on top so that will do another two and I have bits in the freezer as well,so thats my weeks main meals planned out
    So far for the following week I have Creamy Leek Croustade planned which sounds fancy but is basically leeks in a creamy sauce layered between breadcrumbs,its so tasty and will also last for 4 meals if no one else eats it,I just need to come up with a couple more things for that week and that two weeks food sorted
    I am going to try to do a SOA tomorrow depending on time and if everyone goes out and leaves me in peace,Im in a bit of limbo at the moment though because my old bank account is now empty and all the cash is sorted into where it needs to be ,I have some money set aside for food shopping that should last me until payday then when I get paid I can really get budgeting,the next two months are going to be tight because I was overpaid at Xmas so Im having to pay that back from my next two wages,I dont have to pay my council tax again this month though so if I need to I can use that money to cover the shortfall,its also DD2s birthday in March so I need to buy her a pressy she had seen a bracelet she liked but she might have changed her mind now and wants money to put towards new trainers for the gym,I need to speak to her about that so I can get organised one way or the other, I have £32 a month coming in from the rent for my garage which is earmarked for the birthday/xmas fund so this months will pay for her pressy and I found a daughter birthday card in my important paperwork file last week that I must have bought and forgot about last year,so I dont need to buy a card at least but we are going out for a meal so I need to find money for that,if I can save on my food budget it can come from there
    I cant wait for payday so I can see how much I have to work with next month
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 11-02-2018 at 2:02 AM.
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Feb 18, 1:01 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well I didn manage to do the SOA today mainly because I wast too tired to devote any time to it,I have instead spent the day sewing the embroidery that my son in law bought for my daughter,Ive nearly finished all the words so will be onto the edging pattern soon,its a simple design so shouldnt take too long and im enjoying stitching it
    I did stop to cook my Butternut Squash Pesto Green Bean and Gnocchi bake though and that turned really nicely ,I had a big bowl for tea which filled me up quite nicely
    Im feeling a bit better tonight so tomorrow morning Im going to attempt to hoover the house and have a general tidy up,its been neglected all week while Ive been ill so everything desperately needs doing,
    DD1is coming over with my GS in the afternoon,we usually meet up on a Tuesday but I am meant to be working this week so we are doing to tomorrow instead,we started seeing each other every Tuesday when she started her mat leave and at the beggining we would go for days out however now money is an issue so we usually stay home and are working our way through the Downton Abbey box set,we are running out of time though as we still have loads to watch but only a few weeks to do it in ,she goes back to work on March the 1st and I will be looking after dear GS every Tuesday from then on,Im looking forward to it but also am a bit nervous as its been a while since I had to look after a small baby, you wouldnt think I worked with children mind you they are all poorly so not the same at all
    Well today has been lovely and relaxing and a NSD too and hopefully Ive turned a corner with this bug
    Just keep swimming
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 12th Feb 18, 8:04 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    ploppy57
    I look after my youngest GS one day a week as well, only in term time. I love it but it wears me out....lol. A sign of getting old I think! Looking forward to the warmer weather so I can take him out more.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Morning Ploppy,I!!!8217;ve just woken up andI!!!8217;m treating myself to breakfast in bed prior to cleaning the house, this is my first GS so it!!!8217;s all new to me,I sure it will be fine and like you say much better when the nicer weather arrives, we have woken up to a very light dusting of snow this morning,we don!!!8217;t often get any in the Southwest,how many GC do you have and how old is the little one you look after
    Just keep swimming
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 12th Feb 18, 10:11 AM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Little one will be 2 in June and he has 2 elder brothers, 8yr old twins.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Feb 18, 5:53 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Little one will be 2 in June and he has 2 elder brothers, 8yr old twins.
    Awww such a fun age,I love them when you,can interact with them and have little chats
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Feb 18, 5:24 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Back to,work today and my alarm is set to go off at 5.30 but Ive been awake since 3.30,Ive now got to do a 12 hour shift on 4 hours sleep,Ive been lying here feeling really sad and upset,Im so fed up with everything and I dont know what to do to change things,Im fed up of never having any money and even though Im working full time Im still broke,other people manage to go on holiday and do nice things,how do they do it,its a mystery to me,its my daughters birthday soon and I want to treat her but I just cant afford it,she wanted a bracelet which is only £30 but it would be coming from China and she is worried there will be an extra charge for tax or something,apparently she bought something and had to pay extra now she has told me not to buy it as she is worried about the extra payment, I just feel bad because I know she really wanted it and at the end of the day £30 is not a lot of money to spend on your daughters birthday
    Right got to go now as I need to get ready for work,wish me luck because Im going to need it to get through today
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Feb 18, 9:45 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well I got to work and went to speak to my boss to find out where I was working today and promptly broke down in tears, she told me that I had gone back too soon and told me to go home again,I explained that I was worried because of my sickness record and she told me not to worry about it she wouldnt put down that I went back today as that would count as another episode and that I needed to concentrate on getting properly better,I wont be in trouble they will just extend the monitoring for another month,she was shocked at how upset as I was because Im not someone who cries I just normally get on with it,but this morning I had just had enough and something snapped
    Im now home in bed,I tried to go back to sleep but was coughing too much so Im having a cup of tea and just relaxing for a bit,Im going to take today and tomorrow to chill out and then hopefully go back on Thursday
    Just keep swimming
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 13th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 5,804 Posts
    • 21,548 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Sending you lots of get well vibes xx There are some really nasty bugs going around and the cold/flu one seems to floor people.

Big hugs to you xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6750.00 Cap 1: £456.79 BC: £8800.00
    AFD 3/14 NSD 3/14 LTW 6/14
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £1194.42/£4000
    Savings for Christmas £60.84/£365
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Feb 18, 10:36 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Sending you lots of get well vibes xx There are some really nasty bugs going around and the cold/flu one seems to floor people.

Big hugs to you xx
    Originally posted by Purplemumof2
    Awwww thankyou,I have certainly been knocked for six with this bug,it think itís because the week before I got it I had a nasty tummy bug and didnít really get chance to recover from that before I got this chest infection ,hopefully if I spend today and tomorrow relaxing I will be feeling better by Thursday
    Just keep swimming
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Feb 18, 11:38 AM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Right I thought I would postt a SOA Of my finances as they stand at the moment today
    Income £1170 basic month £1203 with unsocial hours
    Mortgage = £179.29
    Rent =£190.99
    Council tax = 149.00
    Water = £62.50
    Gas/Electric = £75
    Tv/Phone/BB= £51
    Mobile =£9.00
    Home Ins = £9.20
    RCN= £8.20
    TV Licence =£12.12
    Boiler Ins = £27.41
    Food= £140.00
    Riding = £60
    Emergencies =£20
    Total = £993.71

Debts
    Barclay CC = £6,679
    MBNA CC1 = £2.619
    MBNA CC2 = £5,030
    NW CC = £2,202
    NW OD = £1,100
    Total = £17,630
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Feb 18, 11:44 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    It sounds to me as though your boss made a good decision. You must be quite run down and the best place is bed then a gradual build up to normal activity. Something similar is going round my work: a colleague had it before I did, another had it at the same time as I did then someone else went down yesterday. It's debilitating.

Are you sure you should be aiming for Thursday? A few more days to build up your strength could make a big difference.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your cuppa and manage to get some sleep. Four hours isn't nice! And if your weather is anything like ours today, being tucked up in bed sounds lovely!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Feb 18, 11:46 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Ooh, just crossed posts with your SOA. I'm not much good at SOAs so perhaps someone with more knowledge will be along soon. What percentage are your CCs at?
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Feb 18, 12:38 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    It sounds to me as though your boss made a good decision. You must be quite run down and the best place is bed then a gradual build up to normal activity. Something similar is going round my work: a colleague had it before I did, another had it at the same time as I did then someone else went down yesterday. It's debilitating.

Are you sure you should be aiming for Thursday? A few more days to build up your strength could make a big difference.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your cuppa and manage to get some sleep. Four hours isn't nice! And if your weather is anything like ours today, being tucked up in bed sounds lovely!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    I!
    Thanks Iíve just got up again to sit on the settee,I cant sleep so thought I might as well sit downstairs and relax instead,this bug is certainly something else,I dont feel too bad in myself now its just the uncontrollable coughing and lack of sleep last night that pushed me over the edge,I will see how I am tomorrow afternoon,if I can get some decent sleep I think it will be ok
    Im not sure what % my cards are on part of the Barclaycard is a later 0% transfer that I did and one of the MBNA cards is just about to finish its 0% deal,The NatWest card will be whatever their standard interest rate is,Im not sure what that is at the moment
    Ive just logged into my new account to check to see if the DD Ive set up are there but I cant see any,Im wondering if its because they havent been used yet,Ive just messaged them to find out,I emptied the last of my old bank account of £3.76 just now and paid it off the NatWest card so they have had £100 off me this month which includes the regular minimum payment on DD plus £50 that was spare in the account and the little bit today,they wont be gettting anymore now though until Stepchange pay them
    Forgot to add that the weather here this morning was awful,horizontal rain,loads of people had trouble getting in to work its cheering up a bit now but its very cold
    Last edited by Onebrokelady; 13-02-2018 at 12:44 PM.
    Just keep swimming
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 13th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Sorry to hear you still feel so poorly, but glad you have a sensible boss who sent you home. Personally, my opinion for what its worth, is that Thursday is still too soon. Why not take the rest of the week and see how you feel on Monday? I think you are dealing with anxiety as well as the virus at the moment caused by your debt problems. Even when you are meant to be recuperating, you are still thinking about your DMP/debts etc. I know how hard it is at the start, I used to think about ours 24/7, but your health is the most important thing and you need to relax more.

One thing that we did when we started our DMP, was to write to the creditors, saying something like ...."as you know we have recently started DMP ref....etc etc and as you can appreciate, the mounting interest means we are not really making any dent in our debt at all. As our financial position is not likely to improve in the future, we are asking if you would freeze all interest on this account.". You have nothing to lose and the worst that can happen is they say no.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 13th Feb 18, 7:08 PM
    • 169 Posts
    • 357 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Sorry to hear you still feel so poorly, but glad you have a sensible boss who sent you home. Personally, my opinion for what its worth, is that Thursday is still too soon. Why not take the rest of the week and see how you feel on Monday? I think you are dealing with anxiety as well as the virus at the moment caused by your debt problems. Even when you are meant to be recuperating, you are still thinking about your DMP/debts etc. I know how hard it is at the start, I used to think about ours 24/7, but your health is the most important thing and you need to relax more.

One thing that we did when we started our DMP, was to write to the creditors, saying something like ...."as you know we have recently started DMP ref....etc etc and as you can appreciate, the mounting interest means we are not really making any dent in our debt at all. As our financial position is not likely to improve in the future, we are asking if you would freeze all interest on this account.". You have nothing to lose and the worst that can happen is they say no.
    Hi Ploppy,thanks for your advice, I went back today because I was worried about getting in trouble, Iíve now been told that if my absence record doesnít I improve I could be issued with a written warning,my boss was very understanding but she is only my in charge of my ward not the NHS Trust that I work for and that is their policy, I know she will stick up for me if push comes to shove but thereis only so I have she can do,itís just really bad timing at the moment and I do agree I think I am suffering with anxiety about the debt too at the moment, I do tend to think about it more when Iím at home though as itís so busy at work I tend to forget all about it until I get home again,Iím going to see how I am tomorrow and go from there,I felt much better this afternoon and I think if I can get a good nights sleep it will help,if I donít go back on Thursday my next shift is on Saturday so I will have to see
    Thatís a good idea about sending the letters,I will wait for the DMP to get going and then write to them all
    Just keep swimming
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 13th Feb 18, 7:23 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Hi Ploppy,thanks for your advice, I went back today because I was worried about getting in trouble, Iíve now been told that if my absence record doesnít I improve I could be issued with a written warning,my boss was very understanding but she is only my in charge of my ward not the NHS Trust that I work for and that is their policy, I know she will stick up for me if push comes to shove but thereis only so I have she can do,itís just really bad timing at the moment and I do agree I think I am suffering with anxiety about the debt too at the moment, I do tend to think about it more when Iím at home though as itís so busy at work I tend to forget all about it until I get home again,Iím going to see how I am tomorrow and go from there,I felt much better this afternoon and I think if I can get a good nights sleep it will help,if I donít go back on Thursday my next shift is on Saturday so I will have to see
    Thatís a good idea about sending the letters,I will wait for the DMP to get going and then write to them all
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Take care.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,663Users online

Martin's Twitter