Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 29th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 5,931Posts
    • 21,184Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Mummytogirls - taking the scenic route
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    Mummytogirls - taking the scenic route 29th Jan 18 at 8:49 PM
    Evening Diary,

Well there seems to be so many diaries being deleted at the moment I have decided to start a new one to try and preserve my history on here.

My first diary can be found here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2311479&page=265

So I started in March 2010 and it hasn't always been an easy route but weve managed to pay off quite a bit of our debt and we stand at £6069.37 today. We probably could have paid the debt off my now but we are enjoying our life (taking the scenic route) with our two girls (now aged 11 and 9). They are growing up too fast before my eyes, wish time would slow down a bit.

So feel free to join my ramblings... usually about my MSE ways, what I eat and the all important pegging out in the summer .

Mummytogirls xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6069.37 - 02/01/18 - 73.80% paid off
Page 3
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 11th Feb 18, 7:50 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 15,380 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    I pegged out today for the first time this year .

Just thought you’d like to know ... Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    Wish I could peg out, we have had sleet and snow all day .
    Be mindful of your self-talk. It's a conversation with the Universe."
    Debt free and saving for my future
    Long term savings £10,000 Holiday spends £349.02 General savings £160.24
    Clothes challenge £250/£36.63
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 11th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 15,380 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Have a great half term mummy. Give your DD a couple of years and she will be like my 2 teenagers, getting them out of bed at the weekend is a nightmare and they are overjoyed if I say we are not going anywhere and can stay in PJ's.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 11th Feb 18, 9:21 PM
    • 5,213 Posts
    • 32,944 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Found your new diary and subscribed. I was thinking tonight not heard from you for a while and here you are taking the scenic route

Enjoy your week off xx
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £153.08
    Jan NSDs 4 Feb AFDs 1
    Weight loss 4/10LBS Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    April holiday £0/£900
    Dining room fund £150
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 12th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Diary,

We have enjoyed a chilled out morning after a hectic early start yesterday.

Yesterdays competition was a long one and we didn't get home until after 7pm after leaving the house at 7.30! DD did well and came home with one trophy. A lot from the school didn't come home with any. We have another one next Sunday. Only spent £2 on a cup of tea for me and another mum who drove us.

So today we are not leaving the house, well until spinning this evening. I haven't done much this morning but gearing up to do a few more jobs this afternoon!!!

Just had to ring the company I bought my iron from as that broke on Friday... only bought it in December! They were fab though and I just explained the problem and they said just to email across the receipt and they will send me a new one out. They also don't require the other one back! It does work its just the steam trigger thing which has broken. Fantastic customer service m0rphy rich@rds!

No washing pegging out here, too much snow!! I am jealous though ha!!!

Food:
    Breakfast - weetabix
    Lunch - beans on toast and scotch pancake with nutella and banana
    Tea - Hunters chicken, roast potatoes and veg

Positives:
    * love being at home and pottering about
    * NSD3 of 8
    * iron sorted with no quibbles

Think thats about all Hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Feb 18, 5:37 PM
    • 50,507 Posts
    • 193,000 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good customer service indeed.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Feb 18, 8:10 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening Diary,

I am not in the best of moods tonight. Feeling really poor at the moment and for the last 2 nights thats all DH and I have whinged about. So far this year on top of our usual spends we have had to pay £180 to get our locks changed, £23 extra a month for b.gas for the boiler cover, council tax is apparently going up and then I got a water bill which has gone up £18 a month . The budget is just bursting at the seams. We had already committed to a few things which are not helping the situation this week such as a leavers meal and cinema with the kids. DH has had to use his credit card too which is really unlike him .

Payday still 13 days away.

Anyway I am going to try and survive on £50 a week shopping money instead of £80 during March and try and get infront that way. I have told DH and the kids I need them onboard or else I can't do it.

I work in a school and our payrises have been capped at 1% for the past 3 years but are hopefully going to be 2% going forward. DH should get a decent payrise and bonus in April so just need to get over this sticky patch we are on.

Haven't felt like this for ages and its not a place I would like to frequent for too long.

Food:
    Breakfast - porridge with nutella and banana
    Brunch - vege breakfast with DD1
    Tea - hot beef baguette, chips and peas
    Pancakes!

Not feeling positive today! xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Feb 18, 8:11 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Beanie do you have a diary? Ive been looking but can't see one for you xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 50,507 Posts
    • 193,000 Thanks
    beanielou
    Beanie do you have a diary? Ive been looking but can't see one for you xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    Yes, I do.
    On the MFW board.
    Will try & get a link.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105630

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 13th Feb 18, 8:25 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 6,765 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Ouch on that water bill - is it metered? We had a leak on the meter itself which caused some problems
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th Feb 18, 8:26 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh thats why I can't find you then Beanie, have had a stalk over there for a while!!! Will catch up with your diary now I know where it is xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 14th Feb 18, 8:20 AM
    • 8,596 Posts
    • 49,340 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Do you have anything ebay-able to help you out over the sticky patch? Half term is a good time for the girls to have a clear out Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 11:60
    Lbs lost 14/107.
    Savings for Florida £77.90/£1000
    • pennywisepoundstupid
    • By pennywisepoundstupid 14th Feb 18, 9:48 AM
    • 4,632 Posts
    • 15,380 Thanks
    pennywisepoundstupid
    Do you have anything ebay-able to help you out over the sticky patch? Half term is a good time for the girls to have a clear out Xx
    Originally posted by please-let-me-be-lucky
    I was going to say the same, have a mad ebaying session. I got my 2 to clear their rooms last weekend, ended up with a bag for charity and a box full of clothes, xbox games,makeup and books. I listed clothes as bundles as couldn't be bothered listing individual items, I also told kids any money made was going to holiday pot, If they want to go on holiday they have to make a contribution. It was quite shocking how much stuff they got rid of considering they had a clear out just before Christmas.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 14th Feb 18, 3:37 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Diary,

Feeling a bit brighter today although the same can't be said for the weather! So windy and rainy/snowy here today.

Thanks for your replies, much appreciated as always.

Redo, sorry missed your post last night. Yes we are metered and we have never in 11 years of living in this house had a hike like it. I rung them up on Monday and basically in May and June last year we used more than our average. At first I thought it might have just been more showers until it dawned on me we had been using the hose pipe to water new grass seed . I can't believe this has made that much of a difference but it clearly has as we are now back to our average. I also requested the quarterly bills as weve always just received an annual one. At least this way I can spot quickly if we seem to be going into debit with them.

PLMBL and Pennywise, I don't think we have much that we don't use but will have a look as you never know. I don't buy the girls many clothes and all DD1s get handed down to DD2.

So today we have been to Mr Al's and spent £29.08. I gave DD's the hard word before we left about not asking for anything and it seemed to work! This has to last me until a week on Friday now. Ive written out a plan of lunches and teas for every day so that DH knows whats what too and stuck it on the fridge. Will continue to do this going forward as he sometimes uses things I had ear marked!
    I also found a small portion of rice crispies lurking at the back of the cupboard so bought some chocolate and will make crispy cakes for packed lunches a couple of days next week.

Meal plan for the next week:
    Wednesday - lemon and herb chicken, wedges carrots and broccoli
    Thursday - out for leavers meal
    Friday - omelette or fish, chips and beans or peas
    Saturday - HM cajun chicken goujons, wedges and beans
    Sunday - roast chicken, pigs in blankets (from freezer), yorkshire puddings, mash, carrots, leeks and broccoli
    Monday - chicken, bacon and leek in creamy dijon sauce, roast potatoes and veg
    Tuesday - pasta bake and garlic bread
    Wednesday - roast beef (from freezer), yorkshire puddings, mash, carrots and peas
    Thursday - bolognaise (from freezer)

Positives from today:
    * Made 37p on Qm33
    * DH left some flowers on the table for me this morning

Think thats all, hope all ok xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 14th Feb 18, 3:39 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Another positive from today which I forgot to mention! I nipped to the chemist for my prescription this morning and whilst I was in there saw conditioner reduced to 75p and deodorant reduced to 58p so bought both using my @dvantage points xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 6,765 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I do love buying things with points, used all mine on very reduced shower gel ages ago which we are still working through slowly.

Our water bill went up £10 a month when the then teenage SS moved in - all those showers really do add up. I knew about the hosepipe for similar reasons, I am not convinced that grow your own veg on the patio with watering cans is cost effective either.
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 15th Feb 18, 4:25 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Diary,

Had a busy day, just sat down and having a cuppa before getting ready for the meal and hoovering the top floor. Cleaned the bathrooms and mopped the floors this morning. Took DD's swimming this afternoon which also got me some exercise too, only cost £2.25 as DD2 swims there so gets in for free and I used my gym pass. It would have cost us £9 so a tidy saving there. Also put £25 fuel in my car whilst we were out.

Just taken DD2 to dancing and then we walked round the long way to get some extra steps in.

Food:
    Breakfast - weetabix
    Lunch - tomato soup and slice of toast
    Tea - indian meal out
    Snacks - banana and mini cheddars
    Exercise - 50 lengths of the pool

Positives today:
    * saved £6.75 on the swimming today
    * we all had a shower there saving on the water at home

Cant believe its Thursday already, love being off and just pottering about xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 16th Feb 18, 1:25 PM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Afternoon Diary,

Just home from watching Paddington, what a brilliant movie! Loved it just as much as the first. Cinema tickets were already booked and we took our own popcorn and drinks. Only spends today have been £2 on parking and £3.10 on milk and sweets for DD for camp in Mr T's express.

DD1 is going to camp this evening for 2 days so need to get her packing this afternoon! She's got everything out just waiting on a hoodie from the drier.

Think thats about all really, freezer surprise for tea xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Feb 18, 3:40 PM
    • 50,507 Posts
    • 193,000 Thanks
    beanielou
    Havent seen the second Paddington yet.
    Glad it was good

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 16th Feb 18, 5:25 PM
    • 8,596 Posts
    • 49,340 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Love the second Paddington. Probably more than the first one!! Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in 2018 11:60
    Lbs lost 14/107.
    Savings for Florida £77.90/£1000
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 17th Feb 18, 9:16 AM
    • 5,931 Posts
    • 21,184 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Morning Diary,

Rainy Saturday here so far! Planning on a chilled out pottering day. Might get out for a walk at some point too as DD2 will be climbing the walls if not . I think my sister is popping for for a coffee this afternoon, I told her to bring cake .

We took DD1 and her friend to camp last night, ended up being a 2 hour round trip down some very narrow roads with big drops at one side . It wasn't probably as bad but it was pitch black which didn't help matters! Friends dad is collecting them so we don't have to go on those roads again... thankfully it wasn't icy .

Positives for today:
    * should be NSD4 of 8
    * chilling out and not going far from the house

Think thats about all xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,032Posts Today

9,834Users online

Martin's Twitter