Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 14,490Posts
    • 136,507Thanks
    mardatha
    Perfume
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    Perfume 29th Jan 18 at 5:17 PM
    What is the best place to buy perfume? I want to try a few new ones without paying the earth - is there anywhere that does half price sales or gives free samples when you place an order?
Page 1
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 29th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 2,433 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    You will very rarely get 50% off in sales. Try allbeauty they usually have some sort of discount on. It depends on the company there are sites like scentsamples which sell samples. Sometimes companies will give a few free samples if you buy at full price but these will be random.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 14,490 Posts
    • 136,507 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    Any kind of discount would be good, I'll look on that site - and samples would be brilliant, thank you
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 29th Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    • 3,895 Posts
    • 6,858 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    I tend to either look on EBay for sample size bottles or just spray some onto a card when I'm in Boots. Once you've decided which perfume you want to buy, it's usually cheaper to get them online. I think I got my last one from AllBeauty.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 29th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 3,018 Posts
    • 8,210 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    If you're looking for perfumes that are a bit more niche then Bloom Perfumery sell small samples and sample packs. Some of the prices can be a bit (although they do have some cheaper ones too) but it's nice if you want to try something a bit different. Penhaligon's also have a profiling site where you can order two samples for the price of postage, and if you can wait they do occasionally have sales - just after Christmas they were offering up to 50% off some of their fragrances.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 14,490 Posts
    • 136,507 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 29th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    Thanks both xx
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 29th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 14,490 Posts
    • 136,507 Thanks
    mardatha
    • 29th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 29th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    Oh wow I love the look of that Bloom Perfumery site - thanks callie22!
    • LuxuryWoman
    • By LuxuryWoman 30th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 368 Thanks
    LuxuryWoman
    • 30th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 30th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    This might be an idea - The perfumes at Next and M&S tend to be 'dupes' so Next Eau de Nuded is very similar to Chanel Coco Mademoiselle, they sell handbag sizes for £4.99 and a pack of several for around £20, if you like a particular one you could then look up the cheapest price for the real thing. It's easy enough to google which perfumes are reminiscent of others.

I have a separate email account for doing surveys and claiming freebies and in the last month I've had 3 perfume samples (I use a different email because you tend to get a lot of spam) I check freebie sites for any samples and have had Estee Lauder, an Armani one and one I forget the name.

There is a company called perfume parlour which sells inexpensive perfume oils to match well known ones, very cheap and absolutely excellent, for a few pounds you could try some.

If I smell a lovely scent on somebody I always compliment them and ask what it is.
    Lastly, If you are polite and a little cheeky you could ask in boots if there are any samples about as you are looking for a new fragrance, don't ask, don't get!
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 30th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 3,018 Posts
    • 8,210 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 30th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 30th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    M&S Aqua is a dupe for L'eau D'Issey, it's not as long-lasting but it's one of my go-tos when I'm trying to save.

I did try some of the perfume oils from Perfume Parlour a while back but wasn't keen - I tried a couple of their Jo Malone and Tom Ford dupes and found that whilst they smelt quite good in the bottles they all dried down to the same weird citrussy smell on me. It was a shame as they are really cheap.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 30th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,040 Posts
    • 2,063 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    I love Perfume Parlour, have not had a bad one yet. There are lots of reviews so you know which, if any, to avoid.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 30th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 14,490 Posts
    • 136,507 Thanks
    mardatha
    Well I'm very glad I asked in here, thank you all!
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 31st Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 1,014 Thanks
    pattycake
    I love Perfume Parlour, have not had a bad one yet. There are lots of reviews so you know which, if any, to avoid.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    Iím another fan of Perfume Parlour but I tend to buy the sprays. Around £8 each but discount for quantity. I order for myself and a friend so brings the cost down. She is a big fan of the Jo Malone dupes.

I have had a couple of duds but thatís down to personal taste. I am a frequent flyer so take the opportunity to sniff the perfumes in duty free. Note which I would like to try to then get a copy from Perfume Parlour.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 31st Jan 18, 3:48 PM
    • 14,490 Posts
    • 136,507 Thanks
    mardatha
    Not ordered from them yet but I have from Penhaligon and Blooms. Not being very MS but perfume is perfume
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 5th Feb 18, 12:16 AM
    • 986 Posts
    • 6,613 Thanks
    indiepanda
    Try joining the perfume society and buying their sampler boxes - you get a lot of different samples and it's not hugely expensive. They do various events where your ticket will usually include a discount on perfume bought too.

https://perfumesociety.org/shop-now/

I have reservations about really cheap copies of perfume - I guess it depends what kinds of things you like - but some natural ingredients are just really expensive (jasmine, sandalwood, rose, neroli, iris etc.) so if you find a cheap copy of a perfume where those are an important component, it's going to be a synthetic rather than natural. Which is not to say synthetics themselves are bad - but the best perfumes will include a mix of both - the naturals add some complexity that you won't get from a synthetic.

I like to buy from indie perfumers as I enjoy knowing I am wearing something that not everyone has heard of - and some of them do small bottles of their perfume meaning you can try a few different ones and only invest in a full size if you find one you love - http://www.4160tuesdays.com/ does this and they also have a scent of the week which they do for half price - which one changes each week. They've got a sale on at the moment too.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Feb 18, 7:35 AM
    • 14,490 Posts
    • 136,507 Thanks
    mardatha
    Will take a look at these sites indiepands thanks. It's very interesting - a whole world I never knew existed lol. Never had the money to buy nice perfume when I was younger. I did order from Penhaligon and Blooms but havent had anything back from them yet.
    • Elona
    • By Elona 5th Feb 18, 10:41 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Elona
    mardatha

I have used half price perfumes which is part of sterling pharmacy. They have tester samples which are much cheaper than buying the identical perfume in a box.

My middle dd bought me Signora perfume by Salvatore Ferragamo which I love and managed to buy more on am**on and get free delivery.
    • judi_coven
    • By judi_coven 5th Feb 18, 5:50 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    judi_coven
    I have two points to make:

If you go into a department store, they will often have little testers of perfume at the concessions (clinique, clarins, estee lauder etc). Just ask. I have gathered a large collection of minatures, very good for taking on holiday or sticking in a handbag.

'Suddenly', which is Lidl's own brand perfume, is surprisingly good and ridiculously cheap. I get complimented on it all the time, including people saying that they 'can tell it's an expensive perfume'. It doesn't last as long as a high end perfume, but it's so low priced that I don't mind having to re-apply it. I discovered it because of a Daily Mail article - google 'daily mail perfume lidl chanel', because I am not allowed to post a link!
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 14,490 Posts
    • 136,507 Thanks
    mardatha
    Thanks ladies. Elona I'll look at that site.
    Judi I'm not often in big shops and don't have the confidence to approach those snooty immaculate girls on the perfume counters anyway! lol
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 17th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 1,623 Posts
    • 4,244 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    There is a company called perfume parlour which sells inexpensive perfume oils to match well known ones, very cheap and absolutely excellent, for a few pounds you could try some.
    Originally posted by LuxuryWoman
    I have also used the Perfume Parlour and have bought both perfume and aftershave from them. They're such a great price and you can hardly tell the difference between the originals. I think a 50ml spray bottle costs about £12, so a bargain
    My debt-free diary
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 17th Feb 18, 9:59 PM
    • 14,490 Posts
    • 136,507 Thanks
    mardatha
    I ordered a couple of smell-alikes from them Lilith just to see if I liked the perfumes. They were nice yes, and came very quickly.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,332Users online

Martin's Twitter