Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MalcolmsWit
    • By MalcolmsWit 28th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 8Thanks
    MalcolmsWit
    V6 Box free for all Virgin Media customers
    • 28th Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    V6 Box free for all Virgin Media customers 28th Jan 18 at 1:30 PM
    I have heard that Virgin Media are updating all customers on a broadband and TV package to a V6 recording box without any additional cost without signing a new contract. We currently have an old V plus box and have not yet received any communication from Virgin Media on this subject.. Is this information correct and should Virgin Media contact us shortly,
Page 1
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 28th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 28th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 28th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5782999
    • MalcolmsWit
    • By MalcolmsWit 28th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    MalcolmsWit
    • 28th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    • 28th Jan 18, 4:08 PM
    What happens as i have two v plus boxes, will Virgin Media replace both or will the second one still work with the other V6 box in situ or does it mean I will only be able to use the one V6 box , which is not really what I want.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 29th Jan 18, 5:00 AM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:00 AM
    • 29th Jan 18, 5:00 AM
    They'll replace both I think.

We had three boxes (V+, VHD and ancient NTL branded SD box) replaced with V6's.

My suspicion is that they've decided to finally get everyone off the pre TIVO boxes, probably partly to save on support costs, partly to get ready for a switch from MPEG2 based codecs to H264 or H265 (both save about 75%+ of the bandwidth per channel), and partly because the new boxes are probably a lot more secure and don't need a physical viewing card anymore.

The V6's are really nice bits of kit, although at the moment they don't always handle application hangs all that well (I've had ours crash a couple of times when the netflix app has played up).

They can also share recordings from one box in the house to any of the others, and I think (I haven't tried it) you can pair your phone/tablet via an app with your V6's to access recorded content on the mobile etc.
    • Well Meaning
    • By Well Meaning 30th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Well Meaning
    • 30th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 30th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    If you log into your My Virgin account and look at the free upgrade section it clearly states you will only be entitled to one free V6 box even if like us you have two V plus boxes, so you ned to consider which one you want replacing. We have not yet been contacted by Virgin Media about our free upgrade and have no idea how or when they will do so. We want an engineer to come and doour so when we do eventually receive a communication from them we will expect a significant wit before the engineer arrives.
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 30th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 1,550 Thanks
    Nilrem
    • 30th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 30th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    I'm not sure if that applies in all cases.

We got one initially due to an upgrade letter, then we got another two about a month later after another letter that specifically stated that as a "sky sports HD*" customer we needed to have all our boxes upgraded to continue receiving those channels but the website stated if you had more than one eligible box you had to ring (basically any boxes that were not upgraded would lose any ability to receive Sky Sports HD).

When we rang up to query it there was some confusion with the customer services person who seemed to only be aware of the one box offer, but the engineer came out with two and a new superhub.

So it could be there are two offers, one that applies for any customers, and one that only applies (at the moment) if you subscribe to packages including Sky Sports HD which leads to all boxes being upgraded.

*So I suspect part of the offer is because Sky may be requiring new encryption on their HD channels that older STB's cannot be updated to use.
    Last edited by Nilrem; 30-01-2018 at 7:24 PM.
    • billn
    • By billn 30th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    billn
    • 30th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 30th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    I would love a V6 box but our steam driven telly only has scart imputs and the V6s only have HDMI outputs so the only answer is to get a converter that degrades the picture quality.

So until we need a new TV it's the slow old Tevo box for us
    If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 30th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 30,917 Posts
    • 19,551 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 30th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 30th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    What happens as i have two v plus boxes, will Virgin Media replace both or will the second one still work with the other V6 box in situ or does it mean I will only be able to use the one V6 box , which is not really what I want.
    Originally posted by MalcolmsWit
    You can ask Virgin.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 9th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 1,277 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    littlerock
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 9th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    News to me. I have phone/tv (full package of channels)/broadband cable and an old V+box. However we do not have sky sports sub.Not been told about any STB upgrade.
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 10th Feb 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    donnac2558
    News to me. I have phone/tv (full package of channels)/broadband cable and an old V+box. However we do not have sky sports sub.Not been told about any STB upgrade.
    Originally posted by littlerock
    They are emailing people so it will take time. Or just phone up and enquire if you are entitled to one. I do not have sports no interest and got my box last Saturday. I phoned up when I first read about the offer on here and they wanted to come out and install it two days later!!! Which did not suit me.

They will only replace one box with a V6, if you want more then you will have to pay.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,254Posts Today

7,921Users online

Martin's Twitter