Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 26th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 64Posts
    • 43Thanks
    Would artificial lawn put you off buying?
    • 26th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    Would artificial lawn put you off buying? 26th Jan 18 at 8:43 PM
    Evening all!

We are thinking of selling our house later this year, and are trying to decide what to do with our absolutely hideous lawn.

The rear garden is terraced upwards away from the house. The first level is a patio - fine - second and third levels are lawn. We have heavy clay soil and there are a few giant trees in neighbour gardens, so some bits have a lot of shade and little rainwater. It's a constant battle in the summer to keep the lawn looking even vaguely decent (patches everywhere), and in winter the grass just dies off.

A neighbour had the same lawn problem, and after spending a fortune over the years having the soil drainage improved and new turf fitted, has accepted defeat and had artificial grass fitted, and it actually looks pretty good. We'd be fine with it for our own use, but knowing that we are going to sell, we might rethink if it will put people off.

I am guessing that it's quite divisive, but I'm interested to hear perspectives! If it helps it's a 3 bed semi, area is a mix of young families and older couples.

Thanks for your time!
Page 2
    • orangecrush
    • By orangecrush 26th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    It looks like a pretty unanimous 'leave it' then! If we get it on the market in spring/summer the lawn should look decent enough to pass muster, and we'll disguise the worst bits.

Thanks every so much everyone, you've saved me a lot of money

Happy Friday!!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 27th Jan 18, 8:03 AM
    • 3,148 Posts
    • 3,381 Thanks
    No cutting grass to maintain it, I will buy it.

I wouldn't go wasting my money to put it down just to sell.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 27th Jan 18, 8:21 AM
    • 24,501 Posts
    • 91,373 Thanks
    For reasons I won't go into, when we last sold, our lawn areas were a mud bath. We took a couple of weekends and some imported soil and compost to improve the top layer of this, raked it and rolled it, then sowed seed.

The above was in the spring, not this time of year. For a few tricky areas, we laid turf.

It wasn't long before we had a passable lawn. It wasn't great, but it was an improvement.

The people who bought our house were sports fanatics who would never have been happy with the lawn area anyway. One reason why they liked the house was that they and their kids could have acres of grass by going out the back gate and walking 2 minutes to the park or the tennis courts.

I visited the house a couple of years later. The garden was wild and the 'lawns' were full of docks.

You can't second guess what others will want. So long as it looks 'reasonable' your garden will be secondary to a host of other things.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • tara747
    • By tara747 13th Mar 18, 1:06 PM
    • 10,132 Posts
    • 26,721 Thanks
    No to fake grass, but an even bigger no to decking! I can't stand it.

Let the buyers do what they want. Just try to make the garden look as tidy and well-drained as possible.

Hope you manage to sell
    Get to 119lbs! 1/2/09: 135.6lbs 1/5/11: 145.8lbs 30/3/13 150lbs 22/2/14 137lbs 2/6/14 128lbs 29/8/14 124lbs 2/6/17 126lbs
    Save £132,000 by 31 Dec 2018! 2011: £54,342 * 2012: £62,200 * 2013: £74,127 * 2014: £84,839 * 2015: £95,207 * 2016: £109,122 * 2017: £121,733
    eBay sales - £4,559.89 Cashback - £2,309.73
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Mar 18, 1:09 PM
    • 61,920 Posts
    • 362,757 Thanks
    Those who hate artificial grass will hate you for fitting it.
    Those who wish for it won't expect to find it, but will expect to fit it if they want it that much.
    Those who don't care .... won't care.

It'll just be a cost to you for no sales benefit.

I'd like it .... but whether a house has it or has a real lawn isn't something that'd persuade me to buy one house over another. You buy the house that has the least things you'd want to change, then change the things you can afford to if they bug you that much.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 13th Mar 18, 1:22 PM
    • 942 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    No, from a buyer's point of view it wouldn't put me off, especially if it was good stuff (the cheap stuff doesn't wear that well).

From a seller's point of view, I'd agree with others and say leave it.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 8,890 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    We looked into artificial grass as we have clay soil but only the very expensive types (out of about 7 grades) looked realistic and fitting cost were horrendous (much more than the actual product).

Another alternative, easily altered by a buyer is to lay flagstones with spaces for planting. You can but basic flags from DIY stores for around £1 each and people having new drives and paths often give them away on Freegle.

Gravel may well put off dog owners and those with mall children as the former can swallow t and toddlers kike to throw things. (If you go for bark, make sure it's pet safe as some, especially that based on chocolate so having an attractive smell (for dogs an d small children)is very poisonous
    Last edited by teddysmum; 13-03-2018 at 1:29 PM.
    • squirrel99
    • By squirrel99 13th Mar 18, 1:54 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    our current house came with artificial lawn and it was a big headache to get rid of it. Our garden doesn't have very good access and that massive piece of lawn was so heavy that 4 men struggled to roll it and lift it and bring it outside to the street. it then didn't fit in an 8 seater car that we wanted to use it bring the lawn away. I would prefer a house without the artificial lawn next time. very much personal preference, but it's a lot of trouble to get rid of those things if you are not a fan
    • dunroving
    • By dunroving 13th Mar 18, 2:16 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 418 Thanks
    Don't waste your money.

Anything you spend money on is just as likely to turn off some buyers as doing nothing. It's a blank palette at the moment.

Nothing worse as a buyer than seeing gravel/pavers/artificial lawn and thinking "I'll have to rip that out and pay for a skip before I even start installing gravel/pavers/artificial lawn"
    (Nearly) dunroving
    • cjm888
    • By cjm888 13th Mar 18, 4:50 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    The house we purchased has an artificial lawn, it didn't bother us when looking. Now we have been living here we love it. Its great for the kids as they can play in the garden all year round. My dad who loves his garden, especially his lawn even commented how great it is..
    • sitesafe
    • By sitesafe 13th Mar 18, 4:57 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 830 Thanks
    A small amount wouldn't bother me esp on sloping gardens or gardens on different levels which are difficult to get a lawn mower on. I guess drainage has to be good esp fir those with dogs like myself. My friend hoses hers down.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

164Posts Today

1,567Users online

Martin's Twitter