Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Easypd
    • By Easypd 24th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 31Thanks
    Pension, no previous address.
    • 24th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    Pension, no previous address. 24th Jan 18 at 11:08 PM
    My wife’s father is in his 70s and is Ill. He has little to his name and has not drawn a pension. There is doubt over whether he can get it, hence me looking for help. He works full time currently.

The illness is quite serious. Best case is he will need to convalesce during and after treatment.

We will of course help him however we can, my wife will sell her car, we can make cutbacks and he can move down here with us. Helping him will put us in hardship, but we’ll cope.

I just want to know if he can get a pension, or any other kind of help, as I am guessing his employer will medically retire him soon and an income for him will ease the whole situation. I’m fairly sure he has no private pension. Most of his life seems to be in two bin bags !!!128546;

This is where there is doubt. He has lived abroad, but I am pretty sure he has paid at least 30 years uk NI. He has not claimed thus far because he lived for quite a few years with a lady who it turns out claimed some sort of benefit that she shouldn’t have whilst he was there. Essentially, he was ‘off the grid’ address wise. He said that his ‘pension forms’ need previous addresses and so he didn’t do them. He cannot fill them in without revealing that someone was claiming benefits incorrectly. He apparently lives in an area where there would be repercussions for anyone sharing this kind of info.

Does anyone have an idea what we/he can do?

Please, in your comments bear in mind he is ill and we are having difficult times. I’d rather no moral judgements. I am aware not making arrangements for retirement is not good and living with someone whilst claiming benefits is bad too. This is not my way, I play by the rules, but the whole thing is a mess. He is not well enough to work, but is scared to claim pension.
Page 2
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 5th Mar 18, 9:39 AM
    • 8,101 Posts
    • 5,932 Thanks
    We are looking at having to put my family in debt to cremate him. He deserves a good send off, but the thought of adding to our pressures at home makes me feel sick.

He paid in to this pension and it seems unfair it will go to the state.
    Originally posted by Easypd
    I'm getting the impression you feel guilty about this if so, stop it now.

As you suspect he is due this pension and has been paying for it throughout his life. It now forms his estate and the funeral costs are expected to come out of that estate. He sounds of the generation that wouldn't want to burden you with his funeral costs.
    • Whiteknight
    • By Whiteknight 7th Mar 18, 11:26 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Yes, I assume you already have the State Pension application form (BR1), if you are down as the death arrears payee or are dealing with the estate you should be able to get something in regards to his State Pension
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

908Posts Today

6,599Users online

Martin's Twitter