Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• the26thchoice
    • By the26thchoice 20th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Going part time at work
    • 20th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    Going part time at work 20th Jan 18 at 8:35 PM
    Hi All !!!128578;

I used to be a very regular poster, then shut down my account for various reasons but I'm back!! And in need of the advice that I know only my trusted Old Stylers can offer!

So, after a very stressful few years of threatened redundancy, several TUPEs, employer liquidation and my own serious health issues, I have decided to take the plunge and go part time. Dropping from 37 hours to 18.5 hours. Starting in February. And I'm starting to SLIGHTLY panic. Hubby earns a fairly okay wage of £26k, and my wage will be just under £12k so we won't be broke exactly but I need some plans on how to save money!

So looking for tips and ideas really:

- I will be starting to shop at cheaper supermarkets so probably Aldi or Lidl looking to reduce my weekly food bill from £80-£100 its for three of us, although with a landscaper hubby and teenage son, they do get through some food!!
    - I already do a vague meal plan but this often goes out of the window after a long day at work when I spy a take away leaflet! So will be cutting out take aways, being more on the ball with meal planning and generally stricter
    - I will be looking to reduce our insurance bills come March/April so hopefully will reduce some costs a little there.
    - I have started using a few apps such as shopmium and receipt hog to try and save whilst I spend etc I know they won't make my fortune lol but every little helps!

So - any ideas? How do you best save money? Small ideas to big ideas, everything gratefully received! Anything to relieve my anxiety really!! Have any of you also taken the plunge and gone part time - how did you find it?

(Hoping it's okay to post this here!)
Page 3
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 4th Mar 18, 9:01 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 22,211 Thanks
    A good point, Siebrie - I think there is a real risk in some roles that, in reducing your hours, you are just going to end up doing the same amount of work in less time.

Is there someone else who will take on some of it, or are there certain discrete parts of the job that you can hand over to someone else/say that you're not doing in future?
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 4th Mar 18, 10:45 PM
    • 2,682 Posts
    • 8,039 Thanks
    Even though it is early days, I have not worked on my day off. Hubby and I have spent time visiting elderly relatives, going on a group walk, going away or other things like that.
    Regarding doing a full time job in 80% of the time. There is a little of this but I did put measures in place to pass some of my job onto other people that I trust to do it well. It is working do far.
    I now have to work on handing more over so that I can drop my hours more (more about me learning to release the work - letting go of a certain amount of control).
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 06-03-2018 at 5:21 PM.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 no. 56 - Jan £1630/£6,000
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 5th Mar 18, 10:09 PM
    • 1,726 Posts
    • 4,737 Thanks
    I've really enjoyed reading this thread; it's given me some inspiration. My aim is to go part-time eventually. At the moment I want to pay my debt off (mainly uni fees) which will give me £400 in extra disposable income a month. Once I have more to play with I'll be in a better position to go part-time.

I'm 37 now so I'm hoping I can go part-time within the next 2-3 years.

Good luck on your own journey, OP!
    My debt-free diary
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,166Posts Today

8,099Users online

Martin's Twitter