Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• johnD17
    • By johnD17 16th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    • 56Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Intro Pension/SIPP Fund Advice
    • 16th Jan 18, 1:37 PM
    Intro Pension/SIPP Fund Advice 16th Jan 18 at 1:37 PM
    Hi All -

I'm 29, newly (12 months) working as a contractor within IT, have a small pension pot (£2k) from previous employer that I have deposited into a SIPP on Hargreaves Lansdown, under their BALANCED fund. Wish to put another c. £5k in before the end of my tax year.

Just wondering whether this is the best risk fund for my age (i.e. is it TOO conservative).

For those not familiar with HL, they only have a small number of 'ready made' funds (emerging markets - is this too risky?, equity/bonds - which I am looking to use on an ISA basis to invest my dads inheritance for my mum).

Page 2
    • johnD17
    • By johnD17 13th Mar 18, 2:24 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    thanks guys - I'm relatively OK with my pension investments, but like to know more about variation in funds for maybe shorter term vs longer term (dads inheritance investment for my mum vs long term pension for me); and whether you guys would recommend similar funds.

The funds aren't as simple as X is riskier, appropriate for pensions vs. X is more conservative for the shorter term.

The funds above that I've chosen are conservative, my dilemma is what I do with c. £90k of my dads money that my mum may well need in the future, taking into account potentially losses vs. zero gains of it sitting in a current account (with premium bonds allocation full).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,765Users online

Martin's Twitter