Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 4,937Posts
    • 21,827Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 20
    • maryb
    • By maryb 13th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    maryb
    Kittie I may be talking out of turn here but I just feel you may be in danger of getting rid of things that do give you joy in order to prepare for something stressful ie moving which won!!!8217;t give you joy until you are settled. I am in a sort of similar situation in that we will downsize at some stage but not as imminently as you and I look at all our things and feel a sense of panic at all the rationalising we will have to do.

But then I look again, and I realise even the Justins give me joy because I have what I need if I need it. I would be inclined to leave it a week or two and see how you feel. By all means tidy what you can. Even organise it into different areas so it will be easy to dispose of when the time comes. But you have said that you would buy first then sell your current house so you will be able to do the sparking joy test once you have taken all the obvious stuff with you and you may find it is easier then
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 13th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 21,914 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Kittie, take a breath and stand back - you haven't got your house on the market yet? You could be living with stuff packed away for months. I know you'll want to pack a lot of it yourself, but honestly removal men are brilliant, they will know what's involved when they quote for the job, and you'll have time to pack once you have a buyer.

I've always left curtains etc to the last minute - as and when you get buyers round, you just say that curtains aren't included. It's not likely to make the difference between whether they buy or not! You'll surely need the bedroom curtains till you move, and things like that make the place look lived-in. Remember, you're selling a home, not an empty space full of boxes.

I say this because a friend sold her house (or thought she had) a few years ago; she was living out of boxes, using one plate and spoon etc, for ages and when the sale fell through, she had to unpack stuff to make the house look 'dressed' again. Slow down, you'll have lots of time.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Feb 18, 9:38 AM
    • 11,371 Posts
    • 69,772 Thanks
    kittie
    Ahh, you are so kind. I don`t need the two curtains up, I have triple glazing and honestly am only putting away what I definitely don`t use. If I see a door curtain on a RM photo, then I immediately think cold and draughty, hence me taking it down as it was just cosmetic. The lounge has blinds anyway, bedroom curtain is staying up

I suppose I am thinking consolidation eg I have packed many lock n lock boxes, will definitely not be using them again until after move. I am now thinking that I will concentrate on using one side of shed for storage of definitely packed items. I will dismantle the tall narrow chrome unit and put the `really useful` boxes in a stack instead, takes up less space. Oh those boxes are marvellous, bought them ages ago to sort out the carving and garage for dh and the shed for me. I have given a few away to dd but will keep the rest, all fully labelled with contents. Anway it is a job for another day, too wet and miserable out today

I did decide to remove an air cooler from a cupboard this morning. The type that contains water and cools the air. I used it on 2 days last year and none the year before. It is not earning its keep so is out on the landing. It is big for a fan and straw but very light and will go at the weekend

oh btw, the changed, same wattage new light in the utility is so much brighter. One of those flat figure of 8 types, fluorescent low energy. It has made a very significant difference
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 13th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    mummyjane
    I took 8 Black bags worth of old clothes and rubbish to the tip, some went into the textiles bin and card bin. Emptied out the top of our built in wardrobe in the bedroom, mainly lots of boxes for things we no longer have so really no need to keep. We are in the process of swapping bedrooms with dd as she needs the extra space more than we do. Still struggling to get dh to kondo his clothes, I gave him a bin liner which he filled (I got very excited as I thought it was for the charity shop/textiles bin - turns out he wants me to ebay them when I get the time that is).

The hardest thing I'm finding is the lack of free time I have to go through everything. I'm getting there slowly but I'd love nothing more than just having a week to blitz the whole house and do it in one. I guess that's the joy of living with family, you have to take their wishes into account. The house is slowly getting there though. Next job is to go through our bedding (again) as we have so many spare sets and blankets. Will try and do that and take it to the textiles bin next week if I can. Will also try and go through books again and send another lot to webuybooks, must be strong and charity shop those that don't come up on their list if I no longer want/need them. Books definitely come under sentimental for me, I find it hard to let them go but really want to be able to enjoy the ones that spark joy rather than losing them in the mountains of books we currently have.
    Groceries Challenge 2018
    Jan £202.95/£400, 8 NSDs
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Feb 18, 10:45 AM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 55,609 Thanks
    silvasava
    Mummyjane - if you are strapped for time maybe DH could photograph his clothes or write the descriptions or both ready for you to post on fleabay?? As GQ says it's the exit strategy that counts! (It can also be the stumbling block!)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 13th Feb 18, 11:30 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 3,234 Thanks
    mummyjane
    That's a good idea silvasava, I'll get him to do that
    Groceries Challenge 2018
    Jan £202.95/£400, 8 NSDs
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 13th Feb 18, 2:14 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    Fen1
    Wort: thank you. Will have a poke around on those sites.

Thankfully, I'm not squeamish, so handling gift-corpses or meat doesn't faze me at all.

I cannot cope at all with poop. That's why I have cats and not dogs.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 13th Feb 18, 2:41 PM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 17,673 Thanks
    Siebrie
    I'm enjoying myself kondoing the office! Our reverent leaders in their wisdom have decided we will go open plan and paperless. I'm in the Legal Department.....
    so now I'm taking the time ditching all my normal obligations and spending the time getting rid of our paper responsibly. Lots of shredding, unpicking bound meeting books (I bind them with a metal spiral binder) and collecting the cardboard front and back, and coloured divider pages for the local kindergarten, putting empty binders back in the stationery room (in the right corner. Oh, it's full? Let's re-arrange the stationery room!), rearranging the remaining binders on less shelves each time, checking our files in the basement (bringing along colleagues who never even knew we have a basement, and now have the task of cleaning 'their' part of the basement...).
    I've seen the EC's bonus programme, I'm not too bothered about my using my time creatively; they can afford to lose some.
    Last edited by Siebrie; 14-02-2018 at 9:07 AM.
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 175,00 = £ 114.97
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 13th Feb 18, 3:26 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 25,502 Thanks
    MMF007
    Oh, some great progress and projects going on this week!
    I have made 2 cards, with 2 more planned today. Craft stash is in good order and nothing to kondo at present. Wrapping paper is also OK, I found a better way to store some so it is more accessible. I wrapped a couple of small gifts in pretty tissue paper with some nice ribbon and a bauble. DH was very impressed and has asked me to wrap 2 items in the same way for his sister's birthday on Friday. I love making things look pretty

I got my bank statement today and one of my clients has paid 2 months at once (she said she would probably do this because she is going away for 2 weeks). As a result I have kondo'd a relatively small amt on a bargain 2-night hotel stay for DH's birthday in April - it was an offer i found last week but was mulling over, today they reduced it by another £20
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Feb 18, 5:00 PM
    • 11,371 Posts
    • 69,772 Thanks
    kittie
    nice happy vibes from you again beats doing booger all

ok I made good progress today. Car boot with back seats down contains much heavy wood, kind joiner was retiring, heard I had lost hubby and was staring carving and he gave me pile after pile of joinery wood, mahogany, sapele, oak, I was very grateful at the time esp because he was being so kind and he was glad to have it re-homed but in truth it is not the right wood and too dry and I have stored it for almost three years. Today I let it go and it is ready for the wood pile at the tip, to be re-cycled. It was bulky and took up considerable space

Last 2 sets of tall chrome shelving came down, bigdug shelving, fantastic shelving and so versatile. Dd already has a very wide very tall set from me. I re-built the selving as 3` tall modules and already the garage space looks more defined. Boxes are on there temporarily, wood on the wide ones, ready to be moved by removers. Next fine day I will consolidate the box contents eg sanding, modelling, tracing, sharpening and will label. They will then also be ready for the removers and so far, on that one wall, everything will be taken as is. I do have to work my way around the garage sides but feel that I am getting to a good stage when I can just have everything removed to my new place

Needless to say I was about 2" shorter with all the lifting, so have had to use my inverter to regain height but there was no lack of impact exercise and muscle building, all good for the older woman and I certainly go to bed happy tonight
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 13th Feb 18, 6:35 PM
    • 6,789 Posts
    • 42,603 Thanks
    Pooky
    You!!!8217;ve been very busy again Kittie - we tried an inverter for DH (recommended by his physio) but he couldn!!!8217;t get on with it, I tried it a couple of times and ended up with vertigo each time. Needless to say we kondod that.

Miserable day here so set about redoing clothing drawers and airing cupboard. One large sack for CS, a few items in the selling pile and one large bag of ragging stuff. DH joined in and let me suggest what could stay and go so his drawers look much better now.

I also kondod a few old cat toys, a couple of old cat blankets that had seen better days.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 13th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 5,505 Posts
    • 44,836 Thanks
    Igamogam
    Today has been sorting through some accumulated paperwork whilst watching Winter Olympics Good excuse to stay in and keep warm - snowing here and get rid of loads of paper on log burner! Found some very old photos from a school trip to French Alps.....no idea who were in the pics so they went up in smoke too Have got a bag full of unused notebooks,pens and other bits of office stuff which we have multiples of, that I will take to CS next time I visit The Town.
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 13th Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 55,609 Thanks
    silvasava
    Nasty day here too so I spent most of it in the kitchen doing some batch baking. Did take a break to sort out some gloves for DH and ended up kondoing some gloves, hats and scarves. I'm accumulating a bag for a charity event on Easter Monday - anything unsold then will go to various local CS so a win win.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Feb 18, 5:23 AM
    • 11,371 Posts
    • 69,772 Thanks
    kittie
    Waking up early was not in my plan for today, quite excited about the next stage in the garage but the aches woke me so I can see an afternoon nap today. I woke up with the consolidation plan in my head and being aware from another poster about potential `disappearances` via removals. Every box will just be numbered and the contents listed in a notebook, not on the box as some of the stuff is expensive. The boxes are `really useful` boxes, bought lots from bigdug many years ago and almost all are 18litre boxes, a perfect size to hold lots, yet manageable to carry. I might in the days before moving, roll clingfilm around for safeguarding eg a simple diamond sharpening stone could be well over £50 and easy to take from a labelled box. I might even get to line a few boxes with newspaper or brown paper, to hide contents.

Consolidation, finishing emptying high shelves, unscrewing various hooks and recording is todays plan, I think there will be some stuff to kondo. I like the fact that the chrome shelving is now lower, the ideal would be a double garage, so that I can permanently store lower, it has a bigger footprint but is much easier to manage. Doing the kondo on the garage is helping me decide what I need in my future workspace
    Last edited by kittie; 14-02-2018 at 5:25 AM.
    • Siebrie
    • By Siebrie 14th Feb 18, 9:19 AM
    • 1,064 Posts
    • 17,673 Thanks
    Siebrie
    Dds have halfterm, and dh and I are taking turns working from home. It is not ideal, but needs must. The local childcare filled up very quickly and my parents were needed at home, where Mums sister and brotherinlaw are moving from a 4 floor, 6 bed house to a 1 bed apartment. Luckily, there is no rush to sell the house, and they started sorting 6 months ago already.
    Today is my parental leave day and I am taking dds swimming and to the library. We are having a pasta sauce from the freezer for dinner, dh will have some African sauce a friend made him, also from the freezer. Project Empty The Freezer is coming along nicely!
    Wombling to wealth 2018 € 175,00 = £ 114.97
    Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7116,68= £ 6309.50
    Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.483,31= £ 2,969.05
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Feb 18, 12:39 PM
    • 11,371 Posts
    • 69,772 Thanks
    kittie
    I have finished for the day, started very early with 3 layers on, hat and gloves. All boxes dealt with, most wall hangers and fixtures are off the wall, things moved around and so far am very pleased. Anything I might need is handy but I have done the background clearing. I will keep making progress as I still want to move tool things into garage from shed, like pyrography (wood burning) coping saws, drills etc and to do that, I must be straighter first. I will eventually reach a stage when I can get removals in to just empty the garage as is and put into the new garage

I found several carving items that I had `misplaced` and got rid of pre-carving drawings and part carved works belonging to hubby. I could not have done that last year. The car with back seats down is full and I will have to ask the men to help me offload as most of the wood is heavy. Garage is not kondoed down to the bare bone yet, stuff like the special lime render, in case any cracks appear but this is very real progress and I am looking forward to lunch and then a nap
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 14th Feb 18, 1:43 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,008 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I've been doing more of the scanning - documents I want to keep, but don't want cluttering up the place, plus my mum's artwork from her teenage evacuee years, which will be split between the three of us.
    Retired August 2016
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 14th Feb 18, 3:36 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    Fen1
    Am I being paranoid or am I being paranoid? ( Well, I know the little voices are talking to me, but that's a different matter.)

I read a wide range of national and local newspapers online, and the DM has picked up on quite a few points we've raised on here. Marie herself ( not exactly a secret!), but also issues such as Swedish Death Cleaning. It might just be that we are ahead of the trend, or en vogue, or whatever. Or, it might be that weird mental quirk where you notice things that are newly important, such as noticing how many other cars are the same as your newly acquired vehicle.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 14th Feb 18, 6:38 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,663 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    It must be something in the air, Fen1!

I've been doing some electronic kondo-ing, basically deleted hundreds of irrelevant emails and sorted a few of the keepers, mostly related to utility accounts, into folders. I've unsubscribed from a mailing list and done a few little bits and bobs online.

I'm giving serious consideration to kondo-ing my computer which is a 16.5 y.o desktop and whose capacitors will blow one of these days and destroy the motherboard. The question is, do I wait until the crisis, then replace, or do I replace first and 'move into' a new PC in an orderly manner? I am trending towards the latter.

Meantime, I'm going thru my bookmarks list (mahoosive) and checking them out. Some of them do not link to valid sites any more, so are easy to lose. Others may be wanted on the journey. I intend to end up with a much reduced list.

I have My Documents backed up on a removable drive, and my operating system backed up onto a spare hard drive, still running on XP but will need to have a more modern one eventually.

I flipping hate buying electonics, I really do.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• maryb
    • By maryb 14th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 43,265 Thanks
    maryb
    Grey Queen I'm sure your computer whizz friend will advise you but just for info, my laptop looked as if it was destined to be thrown out of the window a year or two ago, it was so slow, always freezing and reinstalling Windows didn't help.

As a last resort I added extra RAM and swapped out the hard drive for a solid state drive. It wasn't very expensive because I did it myself, buying the bits from Mr Memory online. WOW!! it made such a difference and it's still super fast a year later.

But with some newer laptops, they have made them so you can't physically upgrade them. Which means, of course, planned obsolescence. Something to bear in mind when you choose your next pooter
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,021Posts Today

9,012Users online

Martin's Twitter