Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 4,937Posts
    • 21,830Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 18
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Feb 18, 1:10 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 73,741 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I also did a bit of kondoing of kitchen cupboards this week. it was mainly stuff that DD had brought home from uni, that she didn't eat when she was there, have sat in a cupboard not being eaten here and are now out of date... Slim pasta anyone?? Revolting stuff.

It has freed up a bit of space, but only to the point where the cupboards are 'less cramped' rather than an uncluttered cupboard.

We have finally finished painting and decorating after 'draingate' back in September; we ordered carpet yesterday to be laid a week Monday. Today we were looking at all the study storage solutions. As much as i want to get rid of tons of stuff, the reality is that we do need to keep a lot of it.

I did finally get rid of a load of lecture notes that are 14 years old and so well out of date, but i don't ever want to teach that subject again and that, even if i was forced to by circumstances, the notes are too out of date to be useful. I think i am also going to throw out the course notes for a creative writing course i signed up to - even though the course cost quite a bit of money. but i have never completed the course and i think any writing I now do would take a different direction and context.

This is kind of all in the mahoosive paperwork category that is really the only one i haven't done.
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Feb 18, 1:38 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    wort
    Ha ha Kittie .I'm the same I think it's kondo-itis an addiction to kondoing !
    I sit desperately thinking up what I can kondo !!
    I got some cheap black spray paint from aldi and have sprayed a picture frame, and 2 metal garden birds that had gone rusty. I'd been meaning to do it for ages.

I found some stuff in the freezer that I'd got in for hubby that I won't eat , so I've given a carrier bag to dd2, along with car cleaning stuff another bag gone out of garage.
    I'm desperate to kondo the garage but it's much too cold for a wuss like me to spend hours in there.
    I've bleached the bathroom grout, and cleaned the light fitting in the bathroom and landing.
    I'm waiting patiently for my hairdresser to return from a long holiday, he went at Xmas! ! So I can kondo my hair. It's short and needs keeping on top of to look it's best.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 3,480 Posts
    • 55,616 Thanks
    silvasava
    Thanks Kittie - one very large bag of fabric gone to my local hospice craft shop - including some beautiful Thai silk that Ive had for about 20 years! Always intending to make a dress from it but never got aroundtuit It deserves to be used!) Some lovely handwoven fabric I bought back from Israel and more I bought in Dubai. All sat in the drawer for over 10 years - better gone than die in storage.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th Feb 18, 2:09 PM
    • 4,937 Posts
    • 21,830 Thanks
    Slinky
    Thanks for the tip about the Red Cross GQ, there isn't one close to where we presently live, but there is one in the town we're moving to in a couple of years, so that will be used in the future.

I know that some of the sports shops will accept old trainers for recycling.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 3:08 PM
    • 11,371 Posts
    • 69,809 Thanks
    kittie
    haha, wort, yesterday I used touch up black gloss on my bike and at the moment am hiding as my hair is awful. Its short and I am a month overdue for a cut, hairdresser away and then a road blockage

I have done what I can in the sewing room. Taken two big bags to cs. Good job I had something to do today, am feeling restless and that leads to me nibbling at whatever I can find, doing kondo is better but now I finished, I just had toast and hm jam
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 10th Feb 18, 6:09 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,025 Thanks
    Karmacat
    I did finally get rid of a load of lecture notes that are 14 years old and so well out of date, but i don't ever want to teach that subject again and that, even if i was forced to by circumstances, the notes are too out of date to be useful. I think i am also going to throw out the course notes for a creative writing course i signed up to - even though the course cost quite a bit of money. but i have never completed the course and i think any writing I now do would take a different direction and context.

This is kind of all in the mahoosive paperwork category that is really the only one i haven't done.
    Originally posted by VJsmum
    This is the kind of thing I've been doing - but I've spread my wings so wide, I've got notes from all sorts of courses
    Retired August 2016
    • greent
    • By greent 10th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 6,686 Posts
    • 68,809 Thanks
    greent
    We're having our kitchen refitted and when I was packing everything up ready for the old units to be taken out I collected up a box worth of stuff for the CS. The new units are all in now, so I've started putting things away in them today (I can't put stuff in all of them, for several reasons, until the end of the week) As I'm putting things away (which is taking time, as the new cupboards are a slightly different configuration to old ones, and are different sizes so things are having to go in different places) I'm re-checking for joy-sparking qualities. So far I've set aside 3 boxed pairs of Waterford crystal glasses (all unused and still in original Waterford tissue wrapping in the boxes - never even been unwrapped ), 3 large Denby serving platters (used one of them once), a Denby storage jar and 8 Denby teacups and saucers (all unused - I'd forgotten we even had them! - got them for our wedding back in 1995 and they've been through 2 house moves since). These will all be fleabayed. The rest remains (for now - I may revisit it some time) When I was younger I felt the need to have virtually everything possible in our dinner service range - and all of the glasses (at least 8 of each) - even if I would never use them (eg: sherry) - in the crystal we chose.... I no longer feel that way!

I still have over half the boxes of 'stuff' to unpack, so no doubt I can find some more bits for either the CS or fleabay I am also building up a box of things (eg duplicate utensils - who needs 3 pairs of kitchen tongs....?) for DS1 - he should hopefully be off to uni later this year, so I see little point in donating a heap of stuff only to buy the same kind of things 6 months down the line....
    Last edited by greent; 10-02-2018 at 6:14 PM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2018 OPs (#18) £36.39/£4000
    Net sales 2018 £20.45/£1000 PAYDOX18 (#15) £1429.16/£18694.38 Decluttered 273/2018 items
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 10th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 5,505 Posts
    • 44,837 Thanks
    Igamogam
    So this week is usually when I do my 'Spring Clean'.......hmm snow on the ground and a biting wind I feel I just want to curl up in front of log burner and watch wall to wall Olympics......no incentive to do that deep clean
    But I need to get my arris into gear as I promised myself I would not spend another year KMing every holiday - dont mind the clean and little sort outs but the blimmin big cupboard/shed sorts outs need to be a thing of the past if I am to take any joy from life!

Had a few successes on Eb*y so will concentrate on doing that for a day or two. Took three large bags of books to weigh in - not going to bother again. Will just take to CS in future - book shelves are still full - how come?? I must have taken 50 books away??!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • Igamogam
    • By Igamogam 10th Feb 18, 6:28 PM
    • 5,505 Posts
    • 44,837 Thanks
    Igamogam
    (eg duplicate utensils - who needs 3 pairs of kitchen tongs....?) f
    Originally posted by greent
    ME! Actually I have 4 But in my defence they are all used depending on what I am doing - different size/types/shapes for different jobs..........Oh only me then..........KM failure
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat'
    • wort
    • By wort 10th Feb 18, 6:34 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 8,583 Thanks
    wort
    Wandered around in spare room ,opening wardrobes and had a reconfigure not of clothes but the things I'm storing on shelves in there.
    Going is a camera, a load of craft stuff for kids, some fabric offcuts,5 shoebox es, a lead for a printer I no longer have. A baseball cap, bought because I forgot my straw hat on holiday, I will give that to my niece.
    Some children's books dgson is too old for the will go to my sister's grandchildren.
    A washbag never used I've been meaning to take to a school bring and buy and keep forgetting there's also a brand new travel hairdryer , tbh these were presents years ago but not what I would use.
    I found a couple of self adhesive hooks that I've put up in the airing cupboard, to hang damp towels on after my shower. At the moment I throw them over the bannister! !
    I love a tidy !
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Feb 18, 7:04 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 25,516 Thanks
    MMF007
    OK, I'm back on the Kondo bandwagon!
    I spent the afternoon sorting lots of things that got neglected while I was away (Nov, Dec, Jan).
    I was in a tizzy because the multipurpose room was such a mess and I am back at work, had commitments all last week, including a funeral, had to spend this morning in town, have to visit in-laws all of tomorrow, working 3 days next week then have all day with SIL for her birthday. And breathe!
    Anyway, I got stuck in and spent about 3 hours sorting and tidying. It went well ! All put away that can be put away.
    I still have 3 large-ish xmas pressies awaiting delivery - hope to arrange lunch with friends so they can be gifted soon!
    Then I kondo'd some work for a client (hand-washing) and updated my timesheets from last week so I can do my invoices when the time co es.
    I also checked out iplayer podcasts - listing quite a few I want to listen to. I have been meaning to do this for ages but somehow never sat down to do it. I have been catching up on a month's worth of the Archers omnibus on iplayer while getting stuff done!!

Stuff being released includes a large tote bag I was given last year, didn't want, haven't found a use for and that was taking up valuable real estate! It is such a good feeling to get rid release it
    Also out are 2 felt xmas-themed plant pot holders, unwanted items passed to me at xmas 2016, but I can't bear to keep them another 10.5 months 'justincase' I can think of someone who might like them.

Such a relief to get the room looking respectable again. A huge weight off my mind.

Sorry for the essay!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 10th Feb 18, 7:17 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,677 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Please don't apoplogise, it's lovely to hear all about your interesting life, MMF007, so nice to have you back again.

I've taken a donation bag to the chazzer which included with it a small Xmas gift from a pal. It isn't something I would use and, by passing it on in vgc, I hope someone else will get the pleasure. Felt a bit of a louse as the giver is a dear pal, then remembered reading something about how the purpose of a gift is to be recieved. Once you've accepted it with gratitude, it has served its purpose in your life, and can move on if necessary.

Wanna guess where I've been? The very reasonably priced antiquish emporium aka juntique shop. Specifically, in the Cellar of Doom.....

Oh my oh my, what a place that is. There are things up the corners which I dare not touch, various bottles and containers which would only be fit for a hazardous waste amnesty.

Then there was the small and rather slow-moving spider I rescued from inside a plastic tub and released into the main shop, where it'd be warmer and also stand a fighting chance of getting a meal.

Brought up a crate of papery ephemera, some of which was over 100 years old, some of which was fascinating. There was a letter from HM The King, or rather from some flunkey in Pall Mall, instructions on how to use your gas mask, stuff about the War and unlabelled photographs of goodness-knows-who. A menu from a restaurant in 1953 and other things too bizarre to list - I've put some of them out for sale in hopes he might encounter some passing emphemera-fanatic who'll bite his hand off for the opportunity to buy them.

I have also got agreement-in-priniciple to tackle the Fluorescent Lightbulb Plantation, as I pointed out that dead tubes are nothing other than a menance - if they break, there will be a horrible mess.

I also found several bits of junk err STOCK, which pal disavows all knowledge of
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Feb 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 25,516 Thanks
    MMF007
    GQ

I also sorted out 3 bunches of tulips into 2 vases. I bought mixed bunches but sorted into bicoloured designs. They look so lovely. I love the way tulip stems bend randomly
    Last edited by MMF007; 10-02-2018 at 7:32 PM.
    • PollyWollyDoodle
    • By PollyWollyDoodle 10th Feb 18, 8:09 PM
    • 880 Posts
    • 21,924 Thanks
    PollyWollyDoodle
    Igamogam, not an MK fail - it clearly gives you joy to have all those different tongs, so you're right to keep them.

All the talk of Kondoing fabric is making me feel guilty, I have far too much and really need to use some up. I've banned myself from buying any fabric or wool until there's some space, the stuff I have never seems to be quite right for the project in mind.
    "Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 10th Feb 18, 8:13 PM
    • 5,010 Posts
    • 73,741 Thanks
    VJsmum

I've taken a donation bag to the chazzer which included with it a small Xmas gift from a pal. It isn't something I would use and, by passing it on in vgc, I hope someone else will get the pleasure. Felt a bit of a louse as the giver is a dear pal, then remembered reading something about how the purpose of a gift is to be recieved. Once you've accepted it with gratitude, it has served its purpose in your life, and can move on if necessary.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    I have a similar conundrum in that sister in law gave me one of those daylight lamps to treat SAD. However whilst i don't particularly like the winter, I don't think I especially have SAD (although if spring were to suddenly appear tomorrow I would be thrilled beyond words). I also have a bit of a 'thing' about very bright light so haven't used it but once... it'll have to go but not sure whether to lie to her or tell her the truth (that i didn't suit it so got rid) or a partial truth (gave it to a colleague who needed it - well someone can use it). If I want daylight I just go out - into the day..
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 10th Feb 18, 8:39 PM
    • 244 Posts
    • 3,017 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    Igamogam, not an MK fail - it clearly gives you joy to have all those different tongs, so you're right to keep them.

All the talk of Kondoing fabric is making me feel guilty, I have far too much and really need to use some up. I've banned myself from buying any fabric or wool until there's some space, the stuff I have never seems to be quite right for the project in mind.
    Originally posted by PollyWollyDoodle
    I also banned myself from buying more material pwd....but then I read on here that Aldi had fat quarters....then I went into Aldi..... now I have another 8 little fat quarters in my stash

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • maryb
    • By maryb 10th Feb 18, 9:14 PM
    • 3,572 Posts
    • 43,278 Thanks
    maryb
    I have at least two sets of tongs so that I can use them on raw meat and then have another pair for the cooked meat without having to stop and wash them. So don't feel you are letting Marie down.

GQ the other very good reason for getting rid of fluorescents before they break is the mercury they contain. I seem to remember the official advice is that if a fluorescent bulb goes you should vacate the room for 15 minutes
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
    • fishfins
    • By fishfins 10th Feb 18, 9:59 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    fishfins
    I also checked out iplayer podcasts - listing quite a few I want to listen to. I have been meaning to do this for ages but somehow never sat down to do it. I have been catching up on a month's worth of the Archers omnibus on iplayer while getting stuff done!!
    Originally posted by MMF007
    This is exactly what I've been doing! Somehow everything seems much easier when listening to the Archers omnibus!

Hi all, I'm new to the thread, I've been systematically decluttering since reading the Marie Kondo books a little more than a year ago. So far I've done clothes, books, kitchen items, toiletries, electrical items and paperwork. I've still got sentimental items to do and a small front bedroom with missed stuff we found when ripping out our old bedroom cupboards.

I found this thread a few weeks ago and it's helped me get back into the sorting after a slight (well, fairly long) lull. It's really spurred me on to sort boxes for the charity shop and to finish before we sell our house hopefully later this year.

So thanks all and hi!
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 10th Feb 18, 10:59 PM
    • 1,106 Posts
    • 25,516 Thanks
    MMF007
    Welcome Fishfins! Do join in, we are all nosey supportive of all things kondo-y.

I have just Kondo'd a small flower posy holder - it has been empty for a few weeks, since the arrangement wilted. It is quite a nice square pot. I shall take it to SIL who excels at flower arranging

Also did a quick 'delete' of emails in and out boxes, and some saved ones I no longer need.

Right, time to go up the wooden hills. x
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 10th Feb 18, 11:32 PM
    • 552 Posts
    • 3,840 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Got new bed being delivered on Monday, so been having another go at bedroom cupboards and drawers. Was sure I had them sorted but it is amazing what you accumulate over a year or two. Managed to Kondo for CS, a lovely unused black clutch bag, brand new lippy and mascara which was a free gift from Body Shop and not my colour. Also couple of small ornaments. Might be some more clothes to go as well. Got some half used creams & shower gel for chucking out, but will wash them out & recycle bottles. They are ones I had as a gift & started to use, but just not keen. More to do tomorrow. Then hopefully get round to the kitchen soon, been meaning to do it for ages.
    DMP March '15 £57,549. Now £44,488. Going SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... £35/£1000.
    Christmas 2018 challenge... had to start again/£300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,275Posts Today

7,300Users online

Martin's Twitter