Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 4,937Posts
    • 21,832Thanks
    Slinky
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up 15th Jan 18 at 1:45 PM
    Since there seems to be a few new threads being started in case old ones are accidentally lost, shall I do the same for KonMari?

Here's the links to the old threads with thanks to VfM4meplse and greent

'The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up' by Marie Kondo is a home organisation/ decluttering book like no other. Instead of looking for things to discard, Marie Kondo says we should instead look for things we wish to keep - using the 'does it spark joy?' method. Ultimately this means that everything in our homes should spark joy for us You might not think that everyday and seemingly mundane items can't spark joy - but you need to think around it a little. So whilst an iron may not spark joy, wearing ironed clothes may. A cheese grater may not spark joy, but your child may really like grated cheese in their wraps - which brings joy.

Marie Kondo also says that this should be done quickly and properly. This may take six months to achieve, but tidying properly should mean doing it just once. This is against the often-seen decluttering advice of doing 15 minutes a day, or a drawer/ shelf a day.

MK suggests an order as to what to sort through first and subsequently. This is important - she starts with items which many people do not have an emotional attachment to (clothes) and builds up to sentimental items (photos) so that a person's joy-meter can be developed along the way.

Many MSE-ers have been following the KM method (kondo-ing) successfully. It fits into the MSE ethos by changing your mindse - you will no longer want to shop mindlessly for something 'just because' or 'it'll do' - you will want to buy only joyful items, thereby often saving ££ on random, impulse purchases.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-01-2018 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Add new hyperlink, thanks zippychick
Page 17
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 6th Feb 18, 5:08 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    catshark88
    Nothing physical Kondoed today, but I may have decided to kondo a large amount of £ on the new flooring I’m hoping to use in our new house! Horribly expensive, but will bring the Scandi style I love and more importantly, lift the light in some naturally dark rooms. Excited but
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • MMF007
    • By MMF007 6th Feb 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,107 Posts
    • 25,542 Thanks
    MMF007
    Ooh, catshark88, go for it! You will get pleasure from the lovely flooring and the 'added' light EVERY DAY!
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Feb 18, 5:59 PM
    • 28,542 Posts
    • 161,059 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Welcome back, MMF! We're glad you haven't kondoed *us*

Kondoed a black bag full of garden rubbish, including three rooted brambles, yay.
    Retired August 2016
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 6th Feb 18, 8:20 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    catshark88
    Thank you MMF007.
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 7th Feb 18, 7:57 AM
    • 4,937 Posts
    • 21,832 Thanks
    Slinky
    There's too much plastic waste........... what about charity bags? I've just picked up the 3rd one this week off our doormat. Surely the well will run dry with people finding stuff to donate in such a short period of time. I never donate via these schemes anyway. Most of the time when you look at the small print it's just a tiny amount going to the charity and the rest is going to a business. The one time I got a bag that did look like it was directly from the charity, may have been Age UK, they never picked it up and I was then left with a soaking wet bag full of donations.

And then there's all the wasted bags. I put mine in the bag recycling at the supermarkets but I bet a huge amount of people don't.

When I get a minute I'm going to put up a sign on the door that I don't want them.

When we move to our new house they will be used as binliners as the rubbish there goes in wheelie bins. Where we currently live it's black bags and they need to be stronger than the charity ones.

ETA I could start keeping charity bags for use as binliners at the new house, but that's a couple of years away so therein lies madness as we know........
    Last edited by Slinky; 07-02-2018 at 8:01 AM.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Feb 18, 8:04 AM
    • 4,826 Posts
    • 37,790 Thanks
    DawnW
    There's too much plastic waste........... what about charity bags? I've just picked up the 3rd one this week off our doormat. Surely the well will run dry with people finding stuff to donate in such a short period of time. I never donate via these schemes anyway. Most of the time when you look at the small print it's just a tiny amount going to the charity and the rest is going to a business. The one time I got a bag that did look like it was directly from the charity, may have been Age UK, they never picked it up and I was then left with a soaking wet bag full of donations.

And then there's all the wasted bags. I put mine in the bag recycling at the supermarkets but I bet a huge amount of people don't.

When I get a minute I'm going to put up a sign on the door that I don't want them.

When we move to our new house they will be used as binliners as the rubbish there goes in wheelie bins. Where we currently live it's black bags and they need to be stronger than the charity ones.
    Originally posted by Slinky
    I have a sign on the door, but they still leave them We are in a wheelie bin area, so they get used as bin bags without a second thought. As you say, if you read the small print, they pledge only to donate a small percentage to charity, and they are often charities I have never heard of. I prefer to donate to the charity shops in town, which benefit well known local charities such as the county branch of Mind, and a local hospice.
    NSDs for February 8 / 18
    Decluttering 30 / 28

• silvasava
    • By silvasava 7th Feb 18, 8:36 AM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    I'm another one who won't support doorstep charity bags. Mine either get used for household rubbish or I turn them inside out and use them for donations to my local CS. I was told ages ago that a CS I took a bag to couldn't take them as the bag was marked for another charity that's why I turn them!
    Only kondoing done yesterday was the dust from upstairs and today will be money to the dentist hopefully just a checkup.
    Have a good day all and stay warm
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 7th Feb 18, 10:35 AM
    • 11,375 Posts
    • 69,918 Thanks
    kittie
    I am so excited for you catshark.

I wish I could find my dream home, I haven`t seen any yet for a viewing, don`t want to get seller hopes up. All I have seen online are tatty 2 bed bungalows, period properties with no parking and dark rooms or houses that need updating and are already right at the top of my budget. Sigh, I should be happy as I am in a lovely light home but I need that change, to get on with the next stage in my life

Not much to kondo, if at all, I have been concentrating on food stocks and much has gone to the food bank and almost everything I have eaten has been home made, so stocks are going down but slowly

Its freezing but so sunny and I mentally want to go and weed some raised beds on the allotment. I will do it shortly, need to get some exercise
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 7th Feb 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    catshark88
    I have just dried a reusable water bottle (you know how the drips stay in after washing, defying gravity), by putting it on the radiator for 10 minutes. Why have I never thought of that before???
    Last edited by catshark88; 07-02-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    • catshark88
    • By catshark88 9th Feb 18, 1:44 PM
    • 1,018 Posts
    • 8,135 Thanks
    catshark88
    One book and one plant went off today.

Parent has just burned some really horrible old legal papers that have been in a cupboard nearly 30 years. I hope that she will get the full MK lightening of spirit having removed such a toxic presence in her house.
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Feb 18, 5:39 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,701 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    The parental homestead is plagued with those charity bags, several arrive each week. The family prefer to take donations, in person, to charity shops where we're gift aid registered, and do so on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I took a donation bag in today - books and some bric-a-brac.

At my suggestion, they turn them inside out and use them to line the large litchen refuse bin, so they serve as bin-bag substitutes and go into the wheelie bin loaded. It's not ideal, but we didn't ask for them to be created, didn't choose to bring them into our home and, short of sealing up the letterbox, it's very hard to keep them out. At least by using them it saves buying bin liners.

Lovely peeps, I have been having and edifying convo this aft with a Red Cross charity shop manager. I long since knew they could take worn-out textiles for ragging, but had no idea that they can also take in worn out footwear, bags, rucksacks, handbags etc. I'm pleased to find this out and share in case it may help others out there to get rid of some Stuff.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• daisy 1571
    • By daisy 1571 9th Feb 18, 7:34 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 3,031 Thanks
    daisy 1571
    The parental homestead is plagued with those charity bags, several arrive each week. The family prefer to take donations, in person, to charity shops where we're gift aid registered, and do so on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I took a donation bag in today - books and some bric-a-brac.

At my suggestion, they turn them inside out and use them to line the large litchen refuse bin, so they serve as bin-bag substitutes and go into the wheelie bin loaded. It's not ideal, but we didn't ask for them to be created, didn't choose to bring them into our home and, short of sealing up the letterbox, it's very hard to keep them out. At least by using them it saves buying bin liners.

Lovely peeps, I have been having and edifying convo this aft with a Red Cross charity shop manager. I long since knew they could take worn-out textiles for ragging, but had no idea that they can also take in worn out footwear, bags, rucksacks, handbags etc. I'm pleased to find this out and share in case it may help others out there to get rid of some Stuff.
    Originally posted by GreyQueen
    Thanks for that. Did they say what they do with all this worn out stuff gq? I'm always intrigued.

I also think that about the charity bags and random 'free gifts' from charities ie pens or a few Xmas cards. I used to but now i refuse to feel guilty, I didn't ask them to send me them, I support the charities I want to so the least I can do is use the stuff they send so they don't just get chucked without being used however i dont feel pressured to send money back so that they don't waste resources sending me stuff in future.

Dxx
    Last edited by daisy 1571; 09-02-2018 at 8:22 PM.
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 9th Feb 18, 7:51 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 223,701 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Apparently, anything which can be mended/ refurbished relatively easily is refurbed and goes out to countries where people haven't the privilege of being as picky as us in the global west. For the rest, they're shedded and used as fillers etc.

I admit to being a nerd for the waste stream as a whole and being very interested in this. I currently have one pair of work-appropriate shoes which have been in service since 2011. Their soles are getting a bit thin and are those bonded-rubber ones (H0tters) which you can't get re-soled. I shall wear them until they develop holes/ leak rainwater and then replace them. I'm keeping my eye out on the chazzer front but am a larger than average size so not easy to cater-for.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• SillyLily
    • By SillyLily 9th Feb 18, 11:51 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 161 Thanks
    SillyLily
    I read a book called "Garbage Land" by Elizabeth Royte few years ago, and it's an interesting read about where things go when they're thrown "away". I don't know if things are the same in the UK, but you all might find it interesting.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 10th Feb 18, 5:39 AM
    • 1,617 Posts
    • 10,815 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I went through my kitchen cupboards and got rid of a few things yesterday like a few tea bags I didn't want and a couple of out of date items. I went through all the pet food, but luckily nothing had expired. I had some dog food tins that I had forgotten about at the back so that was lucky.

I transferred rice, lentils etc.. into the glass storage jars and put all the packaging into recycling. It looks far neater and I can see what I have now.

I'm using up an organic face cream as body lotion after my bath and then will kondo another book from my kindle.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 10/60
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 7:15 AM
    • 11,375 Posts
    • 69,918 Thanks
    kittie
    I feel the urge to do a bit of kondo today, trouble is that I don`t know what. Maybe burn a few more candles but I do look around and think I could pack up most rooms without clearing, maybe I am done kondoing but I miss the thrill afterwards. It always gives me a high. Maybe I could do it by imagining packing room by room into boxes for moving (that will happen as soon as). Maybe the tall tower of paper sewing patterns, in a tall tower of labelled boxes, sigh. I should be able to halve the number, really. Yes thats it, fabrics and patterns today and all stuff that the cs will like.
    Last edited by kittie; 10-02-2018 at 7:19 AM.
    • oceanspirit
    • By oceanspirit 10th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 494 Posts
    • 8,373 Thanks
    oceanspirit
    You can come and help me if you like, Kittie .

Lots of Kondoing old emails over the last few days - it was sitting heavily on me to have an inbox of over 400 unread plus another couple of hundred read but need dealing with. Now down to 271 unread and still lots that need dealing with. Feels just as good to get rid of these as it does physical clutter.

3 books going to local NT secondhand shop as I'm going to be there today anyway. So far a total of 73 items gone this year. I wasn't really feeling the progress before as it has to be soooo slow due to my lack of energy, but now that I've been counting them it does seem significant particularly when living in a small space.
    Decluttering 95/2018
    Deleting old emails 225/2018
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 10th Feb 18, 9:01 AM
    • 3,482 Posts
    • 55,646 Thanks
    silvasava
    Miserable day yesterday so spent it in the kitchen. Kondoed a couple of miniature whisky's into 6lb thick cut marmalade (tinned ready prepared stuff) I keep any miniature alcohol in my kitchen cupboard with my spices etc in case something needs a little extra I also used up the ends of packets of dark brown and muscovado sugar as well. Marmalade looks good! I also made a franzipan tart using an elderly block of puff pastry from the freezer. Had a tidy up of my bakng cupboard & noted low stocks for the next SM trip. All in all a productive day even though just pottering.
    I put some glass jars on Freecycle last week, in spite of telling me when they would collect twice they're a no show grrr - they'll go in the recycling instead.
    Not sure what I'll do today but Kittie has given me the thought of another cull of my fabric stash
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 11,375 Posts
    • 69,918 Thanks
    kittie
    I have done 50 minutes of sewing patterns and need a break, omg, hand on head, I will be keeping most, so far. The first pass must have been a good one. I was just starting to get boggled so am back with my online friends for a short break, while I clear my head and revitalise my battery. I removed a chunky roll of doctors exam paper, good for pattern making but I don`t need it for that, nice and soft so will be perfect for wrapping plates and glasses, one day. I will wrap that up and store safe with the 2 cardboard boxes that I have stored in the garage

The boxes of patterns are all catalogued in a book and all labelled
    • kittie
    • By kittie 10th Feb 18, 10:21 AM
    • 11,375 Posts
    • 69,918 Thanks
    kittie
    Oh I need to take a step back now, have taken out 23 patterns for cs and a bag of interfacing. I sorted everything else which is boxed in that tower. I need to hang onto much as I am always dipping in and out when in a sewing mood. I will carry on tomorrow
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,919Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter