Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hardtimes
    • By hardtimes 13th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    • 341Posts
    • 69Thanks
    hardtimes
    Buying a car in England
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:46 PM
    Buying a car in England 13th Jan 18 at 9:46 PM
    Hi
    Just looking for ideas on cheapest way to bring a car from England back to NI?
    Thanks
Page 1
    • Milko
    • By Milko 14th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 365 Thanks
    Milko
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:19 AM
    If you don't need it back by a specific date, then getting some of the car transporter guys to lift it for you is always a good option. Basically when they've an empty or (space available) lorry returning you get them to lift the car for you. Used to be around £200 - £300 but haven't checked in some time.
    CCRS in Bangor
    Woodsides in ?
    McGimpseys in Bangor

Personally, I prefer to fly over & drive back via Cairnryan. Could also work out less expensive depending on flight & ferry prices. You also get a good drive in the car to test it out.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 14th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,503 Posts
    • 1,802 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    Try to buy a car with manufactutrers warranty remaining. Long way to bring it back to fix stuff.

If you are buying private I assume you know all the pitfalls, con artists out there?

If your driving it back need to be insured and taxed

Last edited by ballyblack; 14-01-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    • RikM
    • By RikM 14th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    RikM
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    The last time I did it, they delivered the car to Cairnryan port, and I took it from there. That was buying ex-lease, with an AA inspection, mind you. I don't think I would have risked it otherwise.

So I had to factor one passenger ride and one car crossing into the delivery.

That was also prior to the current taxing regime, I'm not clear how it would work now (can you tax online immediately?).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,371Posts Today

9,559Users online

Martin's Twitter