Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beforeitstoolate
    • By beforeitstoolate 13th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    beforeitstoolate
    Best place for savings / Pension advice . Help
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    Best place for savings / Pension advice . Help 13th Jan 18 at 8:55 PM
    Can anyone please give me their views on the best way to go forward on my finances , a quick run down on my personal situation and finances .

- 40 years old soletrader looking to purchase my first property .

- Approx 27k a Year income .

- Mortgage in principle of 100k on a 200k property .

- Help to buy ISA opened with Natwest opened last year with 2k

- 160k cash in various accounts earning between 1.2 - 3% ( postoffice , Lloyds , Bank of scotland and Tescos.

- 25k in a standard Cash ISA earning 1.1% .

- 30k in my Natwest Soletrader Business acccount which I use to buy and sell Antiques ( around 20k in Stock ) .

- Have not used my ISA due to the help to buy ISA but could open a S&S ISA

- Biggest Concern that I have No Pension

A big chunkk of my finances will be going on the deposit on my mortgage .

I have been going around in circles not knowing where to start or who to speak to and becoming more stressed .

Any advice would be much appreciated .
Page 1
    • atush
    • By atush 13th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 16,459 Posts
    • 10,202 Thanks
    atush
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    You need to start a pension.

This is a good idea in general, and even better if you decide to become a limited company rather than sole trader.

You have more than enough cash for your deposit and expenses regarding house purchase, and emergency pot. So should not only consider a pension immediately, but also perhaps a S&S isa too.
    • Bimbly
    • By Bimbly 14th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Bimbly
    • 14th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    If buying a house way off in the future, then I would agree start the pension immediately.

If buying a house this year, then I would buy the house, then immediately start the pension.

This is because pension contributions reduce the amount of money a mortgage company will lend you. There may also be unexpected moving costs.

Start planning to put money into a pension now and make sure you do it when you move, even though you will have a lot of ther things to think about at that time.

I moved in my house (after a refurb) in September and upped my pension contributions this month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

9,250Users online

Martin's Twitter