Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 13th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 1,072Posts
    • 363Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    Aqua late payment....damm
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    Aqua late payment....damm 13th Jan 18 at 7:18 PM
    I have the aqua app on my phone and logged in recently and thought my min payment was due on the 17th of month....ok I made a mistake and itís on the 11th.

I noticed a miss call on my phone today and phoned back and it was AQUA...there was a que so i hung up and logged into account, then inrealised my mistake.

I immedialty made a payment and it shows as a pending credit on my AQUA account.

I phoned again and explained what had happened and he said my payment wonít clear until Monday night

My question is will this show as a late payment maker on credit files ?

Iím damm furious with myself
Page 1
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 56,734 Posts
    • 50,106 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:21 PM
    Set-up a direct debit to make the monthly minimum payment. Then you'll maintain a clean record.
    ďOpportunities come infrequently. When it rains gold, put out the bucket, not the thimbleĒ
    ― Warren Buffett
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 13th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 286 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:28 PM
    I had a similar issue with MBNA. I dont like DD because sometimes you overpay. Even if you BACS transfer the full amount well ahead of the DD date, they still take the DD payment and you end up in credit.

I am GENERALLY good with doing manual payments but MBNA would do switcharoo with the due date. Would vary up to 7 days each month.

I have a tesco credit card and barclaycard and they are actually very consistent. The barclaycard is always on the 16th of the month without fail.

Test is at the end of the month and is around 29th-30th each month.

I was late with MBNA twice because they were switching dates so much. I cancelled that card
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 13th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 419 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:36 PM
    Yes it will add a late payment marker. As this is a credit builder card, I'm guessing you either have adverse or limited credit history. If that is the case, it will affect you.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 13th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 839 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:48 PM
    I had a similar issue with MBNA. I dont like DD because sometimes you overpay. Even if you BACS transfer the full amount well ahead of the DD date, they still take the DD payment and you end up in credit.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    Which is why you set up a minimum payment DD, and manually pay the rest.

Of course noting that ig you pay it before the DD some will cancel the DD and others won't.

But at least you won't miss payment.

Many cards are not monthly but 30 or 28 days so payment moves.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 13th Jan 18, 11:02 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:02 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:02 PM
    Setup a direct debit.

Not sure what the above means about over paying - either by pay DD or manual payments. Not both.

And certainly not before the statement date
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 14th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 6,545 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    chattychappy
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    Yes it will add a late payment marker.
    Originally posted by cjmillsnun
    Not necessarily.

The CCs don't send a report everytime there is a late payment. Instead they report status monthly. On that date they report if the account is late (and if so by how many months). On at least one of my accounts, the reporting date is the statement date. So if you're late, but the payment arrives by the following statement date, it doesn't show as late.

Of course if you "get lucky" like this, Aqua would still know and it might affect the way they treat you. But other potential lenders wouldn't know - the record looks clean.
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 14th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 699 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    Not sure what the above means about over paying - either by pay DD or manual payments.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Some card's do not chage the planned DD if you pay manually.

Which is why I said set up for minimum and then pay according to the t&c's of the card. (or wait till the day it goes in as it would still be before the next statement is generated, but only if you pay on the day you see it go in!).
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 14th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:12 PM
    Thanks for replies....

The guy on the phone said he would refund the 12 pounds late fee ( although it wasnít showing on account ) maybe thatís added when statement is created ?

More annoyed at myself for this blip in credit history, aqua have been good to me...had a initial credit limit of 900 pounds which they doubled after 4 months.

If I get a late payment marker then itís only my fault ...grrrr
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 14th Jan 18, 12:23 PM
    • 6,545 Posts
    • 3,461 Thanks
    chattychappy
    A single late payment marker is not the end of the world. It will soon fade in significance. Different lenders have different criteria, but I doubt it will matter at all after, say, 6 months.

And as I posted above, given you very quickly sent the money, it may not show up at all.

aqua have been good to me...had a initial credit limit of 900 pounds which they doubled after 4 months.
    Originally posted by dazzaofdagenham
    And you've been good to them by allowing them to make more money from you (or at least the merchants with whom you use their card)....
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 14th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 29,674 Posts
    • 17,630 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    If you don't want to go the DD route, then maybe consider going to paper statements. Then you have a piece of paper in your hand to work with, rather than a small phone screen!

When the statement lands on the doormat you don't file it until you've set up your future dated faster payment. Of course whilst ever it's on the kitchen worktop you're reminded every day that it's still to do.
    • A4445
    • By A4445 14th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    A4445
    One late payment really isn't the end of the world, anyone can make a mistake. All of my credit accounts have a minimum payment DD set up just in case I forget.
    • Matty17
    • By Matty17 14th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Matty17
    Did they send you a increase letter atound the statement date or was this a bit after?
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 15th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    At what stage will they apply a late fee ?

When the statement is produced in another week or so ?

Or after the min payment date has gone, which was the 11th...

Thanks
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 15th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    Did they send you a increase letter atound the statement date or was this a bit after?
    Originally posted by Matty17

They sent me a letter about 7 weeks ago saying they were going to increase my limit from 900 to 1800 pounds.

I could either wait 40 a amount of days and it would be applied to my account or I could phone up and have it applied instantly.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 14,909 Posts
    • 15,751 Thanks
    zx81
    It will be applied by the system at the time of the payment being late, and will show on the next statement.
    • dazzaofdagenham
    • By dazzaofdagenham 15th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 1,072 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    dazzaofdagenham
    It will be applied by the system at the time of the payment being late, and will show on the next statement.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Ok the guy said he would refund it as this is the first time and Iíve been a good customer.
    • zx81
    • By zx81 15th Jan 18, 10:26 AM
    • 14,909 Posts
    • 15,751 Thanks
    zx81
    NewDay tend to quite good at refunding all first time fees.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,841Users online

Martin's Twitter