Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 13th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    • 740Posts
    • 2,844Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    Fines for 'unauthorised absence' from school
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:47 PM
    Fines for 'unauthorised absence' from school 13th Jan 18 at 5:47 PM
    If anyone has done this with their kids, what amount were the fines?
    Thanks.
    ''A moment's thinking is an hour in words.'' -Thomas Hood
Page 1
    • LKRDN_Morgan
    • By LKRDN_Morgan 13th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 277 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    LKRDN_Morgan
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    I do it every year for a holiday. Itís £60 per child per parent. In primary school I was only threatened with fines never actually got one. Secondary school I expect will be less forgiving but Iíll wait and see.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    Not personally but I know people who have as the savings going on holiday outside of school holidays were so great that a fine was worth it for them.
    I wouldn't do it because I feel strongly about teaching the importance of following rules and having a strong work ethic. Holidays are not essential.
    Having said that I think its disgusting how much holiday companies inflate prices during school holidays.
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 13th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 868 Thanks
    jimbo747
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    Not personally but I know people who have as the savings going on holiday outside of school holidays were so great that a fine was worth it for them.
    I wouldn't do it because I feel strongly about teaching the importance of following rules and having a strong work ethic. Holidays are not essential.
    Having said that I think its disgusting how much holiday companies inflate prices during school holidays.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Supply and demand. They have a duty to their shareholders to make money.

If parents can't afford to take holidays without taking them out of school, then maybe they should have thought of that before having them. Not exactly a secret is it?
    • neneromanova
    • By neneromanova 13th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,870 Posts
    • 6,823 Thanks
    neneromanova
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    I thought it was £60 per child per parent per day?
    DD1 Born 31st March 2008
    DD2 Born 29th August 2010
    DS1 Born 28th October 2013
    Got Married 15th September 2012 Now Mrs Clark

• suejb2
    • By suejb2 13th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 2,029 Thanks
    suejb2
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    Fines
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    Originally posted by neneromanova

So that will make a cost of £1680 for one child going on a two week holiday with both parents in term time?

It's a penalty of £60 per child per parent
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 13th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 19,833 Posts
    • 32,392 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    Originally posted by neneromanova
    No, that's an Urban Myth.

It is £60 per child, per parent. It goes upto £120 if not paid within 21 days.
    I have heard that's it's worded differently (I've never seen one) that it's £120 per child, per parent, but reduced to £60 if paid within 3 weeks.

Some of us had children before the current rules were brought in (Sept 2013)
    • takman
    • By takman 13th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    takman
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:45 PM
    Well you could look at it that the holiday companies are actually discounting prices outside of school holidays and charging standard prices during the holidays. When you actually look at it in details alot of these companies are not actually making that much money so if they had low prices all year round they would actually be making a loss.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 13th Jan 18, 11:26 PM
    • 2,971 Posts
    • 3,079 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:26 PM
    Supply and demand. They have a duty to their shareholders to make money.

If parents can't afford to take holidays without taking them out of school, then maybe they should have thought of that before having them. Not exactly a secret is it?
    Originally posted by jimbo747
    If teachers did that, no doubt the parents who do it themselves will be quick enough to moan about it. Wait they do when there is a teacher strike!
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 14th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 16,294 Posts
    • 40,571 Thanks
    FBaby
    Different schools and then different councils have different rules. Some councils will allow 5 days a year without fining. Academic/Independent schools do still have the option to make the decision themselves whether to report or not.

I have taken my kids out of school about 4 times in about 10 years, from 2 to 7 days (the latter because I got my dates wrong when booked the holiday a year in advance), three different schools, and was not fined once.
    • logician
    • By logician 14th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    logician
    Of course there was one parent who challenged the fine all the way to the supreme court and lost

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39504338

Full judgment here:

https://www.supremecourt.uk/cases/docs/uksc-2016-0155-judgment.pdf
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 14th Jan 18, 2:40 PM
    • 12,572 Posts
    • 10,663 Thanks
    zagfles
    Well don't use "holiday companies" then! We've been restricted to the school holidays for the last 13 years, but we've always managed to get good value holidays by avoiding using rip-off package holiday companies.

If you book it all yourself, go somewhere where it's off-peak locally (eg in most of Europe, second half of August is off-peak), you can get good deals.

Having said that you can sometimes get good value packages if you book late (don't believe these "early booking discounts", booking late is usually a lot cheaper although obviously you risk less choice) - we went to the Canaries in the Easter holidays last year for £1400 for 3 adults and a 16 year old, so £350pp which wasn't bad.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 14th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 3,777 Posts
    • 8,428 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I don't, summer is when people want to go on holiday due to the better weather, so demand and prices will rise.

It's like buying a house next to Brands Hatch, then complaining that motor racing is noisy.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 14th Jan 18, 3:20 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    “ Having said that I think its disgusting how much holiday companies inflate prices during school holidays.
    Apparently, the summer prices are the normal prices. They are reduced 'off season' in order to tempt customers during the quiet times.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 14th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 19,833 Posts
    • 32,392 Thanks
    Spendless
    Apparently, the summer prices are the normal prices. They are reduced 'off season' in order to tempt customers during the quiet times.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Never understood why holiday companies don't make this clear.

eg June Holiday £2,000
    off season discount price £1,000

August holiday £2,000

That would stop parents complaining that the prices go up in the school hols - though I'm unsure why people not tied to school holidays should get a discount.
    • Naf
    • By Naf 14th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 2,987 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    Naf
    Never understood why holiday companies don't make this clear.

eg June Holiday £2,000
    off season discount price £1,000

August holiday £2,000

That would stop parents complaining that the prices go up in the school hols - though I'm unsure why people not tied to school holidays should get a discount.
    Originally posted by Spendless
    You've answered your own question, really. They aren't getting a discount, nor are the prices "hiked" during holidays. Basic supply & demand means that the value of the product varies across the year. We are used to this fact when it comes to purchasing currency to travel, and for some seasonal products like heaters/air conditioners, raincoats, umbrellas, duvets etc. But for the vast majority of what we buy we are used to retailers cushioning us from price fluctuations by accepting the variation in their profits across the year.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • theoretica
    • By theoretica 14th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 4,991 Posts
    • 6,248 Thanks
    theoretica
    though I'm unsure why people not tied to school holidays should get a discount.
    It is not for their benefit. It costs the companies to maintain hotels and planes even if they are not being used much, so the owners want to get as much out of them as they can, even if it is not full rate.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 14th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 19,833 Posts
    • 32,392 Thanks
    Spendless
    Still don't see why people going on holiday predominately in the 'summertime' (eg June/Early July even early Sept) should pay cheaper. There's more people who aren't tied to school hols than who are. Sorry don't believe that all these people would suddenly stop going away if the prices went up to the 'true' one.
    Last edited by Spendless; 14-01-2018 at 7:22 PM.
    • ThumbRemote
    • By ThumbRemote 14th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 3,829 Posts
    • 4,857 Thanks
    ThumbRemote
    If teachers did that, no doubt the parents who do it themselves will be quick enough to moan about it. Wait they do when there is a teacher strike!
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    No, they don't.

Some parents take their kids out of school for holidays.
    Some parents moan if there's a teachers strike.

The two groups are unlikely to intersect that much.
    • takman
    • By takman 14th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 3,013 Posts
    • 2,589 Thanks
    takman
    Still don't see why people going on holiday predominately in the 'summertime' (eg June/Early July even early Sept) should pay cheaper. There's more people who aren't tied to school hols than who are. Sorry don't believe that all these people would suddenly stop going away if the prices went up to the 'true' one.
    Have you never tried to book a holiday?. There is far more likely to be space outside of the school holidays than in the school holidays even though the prices are much cheaper.

Holiday companies like any business aim to make as much money as possible so they wouldn't discount prices unless they had to.

A good example is Centre Parcs they usually have a high occupancy rate throughout the year of around 97% but they are only making around 6% profit on their total takings. Do you honestly think they wouldn't increase their prices if they could considering the "small" profit margin they have?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,310Posts Today

8,571Users online

Martin's Twitter