Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tooba
    • By tooba 13th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 58Posts
    • 13Thanks
    tooba
    European Law, rule to be forgotton
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    European Law, rule to be forgotton 13th Jan 18 at 4:21 PM
    I have a question and need some help. I know a family who is suffering as one of their family member commits a crime. Now problem is the site who published this news used many times SUR name in that news that now it is searched with that name and one of their family member whose name is with Alphabet as that of the culprit is paying for it. I contacted the site webmaster to get the sur name removed that they refused.
    Can anyone help me whom to contact now?? as per European law of to be forgotten???
Page 1
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 10,177 Posts
    • 8,269 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:53 PM
    Have a read of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_be_forgotten
    • tooba
    • By tooba 13th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    Thanks, But i am asking whom to contact now??? when site owner refuses to amend???
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 13,453 Posts
    • 17,671 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    Thanks, But i am asking whom to contact now??? when site owner refuses to amend???
    Originally posted by tooba
    Scanning through the Wikipedia link, it looks like the right to be forgotten only applies to search engine results and not the original sources.

The Wikipedia article also give the procedure that you need to follow to get the site’s url removed from the search engine results.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 10,177 Posts
    • 8,269 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    The other point is that it should be the family who instigate any requests and not you, unless you have authority from the family to act on their behalf.
    • tooba
    • By tooba 13th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    unless you have authority from the family to act on their behalf.
    yes i have the authority
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    • 11,725 Posts
    • 8,896 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    The other point is that it should be the family who instigate any requests and not you, unless you have authority from the family to act on their behalf.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    If I've understood the OP correctly, it would need to be the family member who committed the crime who requested its removal since the right to be forgotten only extends to information about you rather than information about someone else with a similar name.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • tooba
    • By tooba 14th Jan 18, 5:10 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    • 14th Jan 18, 5:10 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 5:10 AM
    If I've understood the OP correctly, it would need to be the family member who committed the crime who requested its removal since the right to be forgotten only extends to information about you rather than information about someone else with a similar name.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    well let me explain it. My client is the brother of the culprit. Now as culprit has teh same sur name as that of my client and other family memebers, so this sur name, that is used many time in that news is now creating problem for rest of the family members. My simple question is, WHY sur name is being used again and against instead of culprit first name???
    is there any way to force the webmaster to simply omit or replace the sur name as it is really defaming for the whole family..
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 14th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 1,686 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    • 14th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 6:45 AM
    If news stories name a criminal - they always say the full name. Nothing unusual there.

How is this other family member with the same first initial 'paying for it'?
    Mortgage remaining: £43,140 of £77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target July 17 - £17,960 / £28,000
    • tooba
    • By tooba 14th Jan 18, 7:36 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    well the culprit name is Danial while the other brother is Danny but sur name is same, now if anyone searches Danny full name the link is question appears.
    • tooba
    • By tooba 14th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    [QUOTE=FreddieFrugal;73713003]If news stories name a criminal - they always say the full name. Nothing unusual there.

well the point ios ok use full name, but here problem is only sur name is being used again and again. Is it normal????
    let suppose my name is Tooba Umber and lets call Umber a sur name, lets say its my father name(though it is not) if i have committed any crime i agree they will use Tooba Umber but after that will they use Umber name 5 times in news bady rather than using Tooba???
    now issue here is the url is havng sur name, title is having sur name(only sur name, not full name)
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 14th Jan 18, 8:16 AM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 9,090 Thanks
    LilElvis
    [QUOTE=tooba;73713057]
    If news stories name a criminal - they always say the full name. Nothing unusual there.

well the point ios ok use full name, but here problem is only sur name is being used again and again. Is it normal????
    let suppose my name is Tooba Umber and lets call Umber a sur name, lets say its my father name(though it is not) if i have committed any crime i agree they will use Tooba Umber but after that will they use Umber name 5 times in news bady rather than using Tooba???
    now issue here is the url is havng sur name, title is having sur name(only sur name, not full name)
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    Yes, it's totally normal to use the surname. If there were a news piece about, say, Peter Sutcliffe i would expect them to refer to him as either Peter Sutcliffe or Sutcliffe, but never as Peter.

In what capacity are you acting on behalf of this family as you refer to them as "clients"?
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Jan 18, 8:19 AM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    glentoran99
    its Surname!! no space
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 14th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 11,137 Thanks
    GwylimT
    its Surname!! no space
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    That was frustrating me as well, I don't think English is OPs first language.
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 14th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 5,993 Posts
    • 11,137 Thanks
    GwylimT
    Unless an injunction is issued by the courts the press can public any adults name in the UK. If the criminal doesn't like this then they can ask for search engines to slightly alter search results, but unless they go to court and gain an injuction the press are free to publish their name.
    • tooba
    • By tooba 14th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba

How is this other family member with the same first initial 'paying for it'?
    Originally posted by FreddieFrugal
    That was frustrating me as well, I don't think English is OPs first language.
    Originally posted by GwylimT
    Yes English is not my first language.
    • tooba
    • By tooba 14th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    [QUOTE=LilElvis;73713125]

Yes, it's totally normal to use the surname. If there were a news piece about, say, Peter Sutcliffe i would expect them to refer to him as either Peter Sutcliffe or Sutcliffe, but never as Peter.

In what capacity are you acting on behalf of this family as you refer to them as "clients"?
    i am a reputation management expert, whose job is to remove negative links from Google. so i am paid for this job
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 14th Jan 18, 8:50 AM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 4,010 Thanks
    glentoran99
    i am a reputation management expert, whose job is to remove negative links from Google. so i am paid for this job

but you have to come on here to ask advice? Surely your the expert you should be giving the advice
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 14th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 13,453 Posts
    • 17,671 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    As above. If you are an expert, why are you asking on here?
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • tooba
    • By tooba 14th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    tooba
    but you have to come on here to ask advice? Surely your the expert you should be giving the advice
    Originally posted by glentoran99
    i have already de indexed it from Google. web master refused to omit Surname. I just wanted to know what are UK laws so that i can check with lawyer if we can force him. so my expertise says me to consult people before paying to lawyer.,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,542Posts Today

6,357Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin