Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mcddrums
    • By mcddrums 13th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    mcddrums
    1st year (2017/28) HTB/LISA max bonus available?
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    1st year (2017/28) HTB/LISA max bonus available? 13th Jan 18 at 4:13 PM
    Hi everyone,

I want to run this past you to see if my thinking is correct...

I have a HTB ISA which has 4k in it and I have transferred this over to my LISA during the first year where it won't affect the max limit I'm allowed to put in.

I understand that when I transfered my HTB ISA the previous bonus earned would still be earned on the HTB amount transferred. So this would be £1000 banked.

With the Lisa I get the same 25% bonus. The maximum I can earn from a LISA in a year is £1000 on the £4000 I invest.

At the moment I'm unlikely to fill the separate LISA allowance of £4k as I've not been paying in enough to hit the £4k. However, I do have finds available which I could move over (as we can put in a lump sum). If I transferred enough to hit the £4k before the end of the tax year would I then earn £1k on that as well?

So effectively. Would this then mean that I could earn £2k - eg a 25% bonus carried in from the original HTB ISA, and then the LISA Bonus is treated separately, so another £1k for this year from that too?

Thanks very much
    Last edited by mcddrums; 13-01-2018 at 4:15 PM. Reason: Spelling
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 13th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 6,096 Posts
    • 6,122 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:51 PM
    Yes, the 25% LISA bonus is applied to all qualifying contributions, whether from a HTB transfer or paid in as new money, so if you transferred £4K in from HTB contributions prior to 2017/18 and then another £4K of new money during this tax year then you'll receive a £2K bonus in late April or early May 2018.

You can of course then pay another £4K in anytime from 6 April 2018 and get another £1K bonus between one and two months later....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

286Posts Today

2,502Users online

Martin's Twitter