Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • karen100
    • By karen100 13th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    karen100
    Is buying from a 3rd party provider riskier re. price increases?
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    Is buying from a 3rd party provider riskier re. price increases? 13th Jan 18 at 3:49 PM
    Hello! So I recently broke my phone so am planning to move from my sim only deal to a contract. I found a great deal for the Samsung Galaxy 7 with 3 on a third party site. I called up my provider and asked them if they could match it, and they said they couldn't, because it wasn't an actual provider deal, but a third party deal (which is true, the same deal was not on the 3 website). I asked why, and he told me that with third party providers the deals are better as there is more risk re. price increases - i.e. in the T&Cs if you look (and we did for that particular deal) it says that they can change the monthly price if they choose. If they change the price and its significant then you have the right to cancel your contract, but then you will still have to pay cancellation fees. I can see that's a risk. So I held off signing anything to investigate further, and I have found nothing on the internet which talks about this risk! Is this something which is actually true of all phone companies, third party or not, and in reality doesn't really happen?

In short, does anyone know what I'm on about, and if so, is it true?

Thanks!
    K
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 13th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 18,427 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    You will be subject to the same price increases as customers who buy direct from the network. There is no difference in that respect.

The only risk is that if it is a cashback deal and the retailer goes bust, then you still have to keep on paying the monthly fee to the network regardless.

• 20aday
    • By 20aday 14th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 2,106 Posts
    • 877 Thanks
    20aday
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:42 AM
    If you're on about RPI increases then Three don't apply them to their SIMO customers and Tesco Mobile have no inflationary increases at all.

The only time you could terminate an airtime agreement early is if the network provider hiked their monthly tariffs above the rate of inflation e.g. if RPI figures published in February were 3% and company X raised prices 3.2% and so forth.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,652Posts Today

8,388Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right I'm signing off for the weekend. Don't do anything I wouldn't do (so that includes impulse spending, driving? https://t.co/7vEK9cd6DO

• RT @bigmickwelsh63: @MartinSLewis Already done it.... donated my kidney to my brother almost 30yrs ago. Not sure if I would have done it fo?

• Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• Follow Martin