Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fairchi44
    • By fairchi44 13th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 26Posts
    • 16Thanks
    fairchi44
    Parents Gifting a Mortgage Deposit
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    Parents Gifting a Mortgage Deposit 13th Jan 18 at 3:07 PM
    We are in the lucky position of being able to gift our daughter the deposit for a mortgage . We are aware this will involve a declaration in writing when she applies for the mortgage . Could anyone advise us when the physical cash would then be payable . We have the funds but they are tied up for a few months , would this prevent her going ahead and applying for mortgages
    Many thanks
    B
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 13th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 32,649 Posts
    • 17,579 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    It would be needed for exchange of contracts, although the solicitor might want the gift paperwork, your ID and the transfer documentation ahead of that.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • fairchi44
    • By fairchi44 13th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    fairchi44
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    Thankyou so much for your helpful reply
    • mr_munchem
    • By mr_munchem 13th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 56 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    mr_munchem
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    My parents have just done this for me. The money needs to be available on exchange. The estate agent asked to have a letter from my parents on putting in the offer, and my solicitors have asked for a form to be filled in, copies of their passports, and a bank statement showing that the funds are available. I've done my full mortgage application (waiting on my survey now) and they haven't asked for anything yet!
    • fairchi44
    • By fairchi44 13th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    fairchi44
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:12 PM
    Thankyou so much - very helpful
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

148Posts Today

2,694Users online

Martin's Twitter