Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • forestlands
    • By forestlands 13th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 55Thanks
    forestlands
    BT emails are we being conned?
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    BT emails are we being conned? 13th Jan 18 at 2:23 PM
    I pay £5 a month to BT for emails, BT is using Yahoo mail which is advertised on line as free! I acquired a Yahoo account without my requesting one and without my knowledge, obviously contrived by BT.to enable me to get Yahoo mail

I have tried uninstalling Yahoo and got a warning If I uninstall Yahoo now I will loose saved documents, Yahoo says! Looks like we are charged for using BT Yahoo email when BT is there in name only and uses Yahoo free email service! When I login I am logging in to Yahoo not BT!

Looks like a scam to me, anyone else noticed this and agree ?
    Last edited by forestlands; 13-01-2018 at 2:53 PM. Reason: Added an after thought.
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 984 Posts
    • 602 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    If you pay BT £5 per month just for an email address then yes you are being conned, just stop paying them.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 13th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 24,363 Posts
    • 11,644 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    Move saved documents or back them up to a Cloud?

Then up to you if you want to continue paying or moving to a different email address.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 1,460 Posts
    • 519 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    Presumably you use another ISP and not BT, if you don't want to keep your @btinternet.com email address active you don't have to , but if you do then either become a BT customer or continue with the current arrangement.

It's irrelevant if you can get a 'free' Yahoo email address, you can get 'free' email from many vendors...some ISP's don't offer the option of keeping your email account open after you stop being a customer, BT do offer this, but only you can decide its it's worth what BT charge to keep on using the BT email address after you stop being a BT customer.

I don't see how offering a service for payment is a scam, its included if you are a 'customer' , you may not think it value for money.

If you don't like paying for the email address and don't want to be a BT customer, use the email offering from your current ISP or sign up with a 'free' email address that will endure if you change ISP again.
    Last edited by iniltous; 13-01-2018 at 4:33 PM.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 15th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 646 Thanks
    phillw
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 15th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    Never ever use your ISP email, they only offer it to you because it makes it a hassle to leave.

Start switching everything over to googlemail or hotmail, make sure you have all your emails backed up locally. Using mozilla firebird you should be able to download your emails from bt, setup your new email provider and then import those emails into your new provider. It's a bit fiddly, but worth it for £60 a year.
    • Berwynview
    • By Berwynview 17th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    • 267 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    Berwynview
    • 17th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    • 17th Jan 18, 1:03 PM
    We had a BT internet email address for many many years until we left BT in 2015. We continued to keep the email address but cancelled it in June 2016 when BT increased the cost to £5 a month.

Nearly two years later, this cancelled BT email address is still live and forwarding emails to our current email address - we still log in to check it occasionally! It's definitely not worth paying £5 a month for
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,514Posts Today

8,856Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• RT @elainelawro: @MartinSLewis When I lost my mum suddenly from a burst aneurysm on the brain I was unaware that my mum had signed up to do?

• RT @AlisonKinder: @MartinSLewis I?m on my second kidney transplant in Thirty years. My life has been changed beyond recognition twice by th?

• Follow Martin