Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Oliviasmom
    • By Oliviasmom 13th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Oliviasmom
    Ownership after spilt
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    Ownership after spilt 13th Jan 18 at 12:45 PM
    Had this on another sub- board but think it was in the wrong place...

Myself and my ex-partner have recently spilt. During the time of our relationship we had the chance to buy a caravan. We didn't have the funds so my parents bought it for us. They paid £3k-£1800 for the caravan and £1200 for ground rent, this was a deal so couldn't have paid one without the other. A month later my partner took out a loan, he gave my parents £1800. After the year of buying it we had to then pay ground rent monthly of £100. This was from my ex partners bank account, but part of our household bills.

My parents fitted new floors, bathroom suite and blinds amongst other things.

Now we have spilt my ex is claiming he owns the entire
    Caravan. I suggested we pay £50 a month each towards rent and liaise with each other about times spent for holidays.

Can anyone advise if this is 50/50 ownership or do you think he solely owns it?

I have receipts for electric bills, rates and insurance for caravan is in my name?

Any advice?
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    Looks like he owns it.

He paid them £1800 for it. They in effect sold it to him.
    • Oliviasmom
    • By Oliviasmom 13th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Oliviasmom
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:55 PM
    Even though the deal was £3k? It was part of our household bills when we were together, the ground rent? Do I have any part of ownership with that? Plus paid rates and electric bills?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 13th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    The ground rent may have been part of the deal but the caravan seems to have been bought by him after an initial loan from your parents.

He could surely up and move the caravan which removes the ground rent issue going forward.

Importantly whose name is it registered in?
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 13th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2,614 Posts
    • 6,395 Thanks
    ska lover
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    Would you really want to have continued dealings with your EX? Organising when you were both going on holiday etc?

I wouldn't want to be that involved in an ex's life, to be honest - i would let it go and move on, as it seems he owns it, and even so, its not huge amounts of cash involved
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Oliviasmom
    • By Oliviasmom 14th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Oliviasmom
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    Because the kids absolutely love going down. And I went there from I was a child. I'm maybe going to suggest buying him out, but he knows how much I want it he'll not budge.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 14th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 16,735 Posts
    • 29,277 Thanks
    Ames
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:40 PM
    Just to check, were you married? I assume not because you call him an ex partner.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • robpw2
    • By robpw2 14th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 12,648 Posts
    • 26,376 Thanks
    robpw2
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    i would suggest you get proper legal advice please

as much as i think the people on this forum can help they are not to be relied on

Slimming world start 28/01/2012 starting weight 21st 2.5lb current weight 17st 9-total loss 3st 7.5lb
    Slimmer of the month February , March ,April
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 14th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 1:48 PM
    As above OP who is the legal registered owner?
    • Oliviasmom
    • By Oliviasmom 14th Jan 18, 4:04 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Oliviasmom
    Sorry, it was never registered to anyone. But the site manager sold it to my dad and only corresponds with me, not my ex. No, never married. I took nothing from the house when I left and only want this. I'm happy for it to be 50/50 as ex works shifts and can't use it as much as I would. Our kids love it, as they can get out to play more down there than at home.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Jan 18, 4:27 PM
    • 7,314 Posts
    • 5,368 Thanks
    -taff
    So on paper your dad actually owns it?
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 14th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 352 Posts
    • 375 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Sounds like it.

How will your ex prove owner ship. If the licence for the plot is in your dad's name (hence paying ground rent) and your dad has purchase paper from the site owner what Does your ex have to prove ownership.

Did your dad issue receipt and transfer the licence agreement for the plot to either of You?

What they paid for inside is irrelevant.

Also im now assuming this is a static caravan based on the fitting out of a new suite etc. These are usually quite expensive £1800 is a bargain
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 14th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 1,773 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    Comms69
    Sounds like it.

How will your ex prove owner ship. If the licence for the plot is in your dad's name (hence paying ground rent) and your dad has purchase paper from the site owner what Does your ex have to prove ownership.

Did your dad issue receipt and transfer the licence agreement for the plot to either of You?

What they paid for inside is irrelevant.

Also im now assuming this is a static caravan based on the fitting out of a new suite etc. These are usually quite expensive £1800 is a bargain
    Originally posted by HampshireH
    Well via the courts I suspect..

Lack of a receipt does not mean la know ownership
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,455Posts Today

10,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin