Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TuppenceHapenny
    • By TuppenceHapenny 13th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 1Thanks
    TuppenceHapenny
    Sky phone and broadband
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    Sky phone and broadband 13th Jan 18 at 11:50 AM
    I signed up to Sky for phone and broadband in Dec 2016, getting free 'Sky Broadband Unlimited' for 12 months. So the monthly cost for phone and broadband was £15.00 line rental + cost of calls, with the deal ending on 12/12/2017. Just prior to it ending I got a letter from Sky saying the free 'Sky Broadband Unlimited' was being extended for another 12 months (to 12/12/2018) and "this offer has been automatically updated on your account and there's no new contract." So I did nothing and now find the line rental cost has gone up to £18.99. Don't believe I received any notification of the increase in line rental cost.

My question is what is the best thing to do to continue with phone and broadband and bring the cost down. Can I switch to another provider without an exit penalty from Sky and, if so, which is the best deal to go to? Should I complain to Sky and if I do will it achieve anything? Would Sky reduce the line rental if I complain about the increase and threaten to leave?

Thanks in advance for any constructive advice.
Page 1
    • prowla
    • By prowla 13th Jan 18, 12:22 PM
    • 9,589 Posts
    • 7,633 Thanks
    prowla
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:22 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:22 PM
    I don't think you can be deemed to have accepted a new contract without agreeing, so you should be OK to leave.
    Have a chat with Sky; they often will negotiate on price, especially if you say you are leaving.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 1,517 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    You're on a rolling monthly contract so can leave at any time, the LR went up awhile ago so there's nothing 'to complain about'.

Only they can say if they'd do a better deal for you but given the current prices of all suppliers I doubt you'll get a better deal.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 10,070 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    First price up the services you require with other providers .
    No point leaving if price is higher .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

256Posts Today

2,196Users online

Martin's Twitter