Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    • 15,573Posts
    • 131,392Thanks
    JackieO
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:18 AM
    Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :) 13th Jan 18 at 10:18 AM
    Hi chums I see for some reason unbeknown to us all that the previous thread was deleted .OK well lets no be despondant it was 11 months old and I certainly didn't expect it to run as long as it did,but this will no defeat us in our object to LFHW will it .So come on chums get those ideas rolling again for the new year ahead

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb so far £12.44
Page 11
    • Carlakoala
    • By Carlakoala 3rd Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    Carlakoala
    Nuts and citrus peel
    If you buy bags of nuts - walnuts, cashews, almonds in particular but you can't eat them in one go, put them in the freezer. Keeps them fresh. Their oils stay fresh. Eat from frozen - they are not rock solid. they have Taste and crunch. And if you use lemons, oranges, limes for their juice, take some of the peel off and put in the freezer too so you have a little stash of peel for cooking.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 3rd Feb 18, 6:07 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 5,318 Thanks
    YorksLass
    Haven't posted for a while but have now caught up with everyone's posts. Some yummy sounding soups and other good ideas going on, so thanks all for the inspiration.

I have a mince base for a cottage pie doing in the sc for tomorrow's dinner and it's smelling very appetising. Will do a pan of mash in the morning and assemble it ready to go in the oven. With sprouts and the last of the pickled red cabbage, that will make a tasty Sunday dinner. I've also found a container of stewed apple and a bag of crumble mix in the freezer, so pudding sorted as well.

This week's soup is tomato & red pepper, enough for a couple of lunchtimes. I've also made a pork spread to use up two lonely, sad looking slices of roast pork. I shredded them and bunged them in the food processor along with some onion, half an eating apple, one wrinkled mushroom (it must have escaped ) and a good dollop of plain yogurt. Tasted after whizzing and added a glug of chilli & ginger sauce; tasted again and it's just right to spread on crackers, so another lunchtime "use up".

I've also made a tub of hummus that I'll have with breadsticks for tonight's TV snack while I'm watching a film called Suffragette. It's probably not DH's cup of tea but he's had rugby on all afternoon so it's "give & take". Knowing him, if he's bored he'll nod off anyway!

Meal plan in place for this week with everything coming from the freezer and cupboard stocks so no shopping needed. I'm pleased about that as the weather forecast for where we are in West Yorkshire doesn't sound inviting at all - cold, frosty and wintry showers. The cake tin is nigh on empty so baking will be done this week. I'm thinking flapjacks, fruit scones, a large custard tart and using the pastry trimmings (there always are some) for jam or lemon curd tarts. Might as well fill up the oven to save on energy!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

Feb £98.33/£140 + 15/28 NSDs
    Jan £114.59/£140 + 20/28 NSDs

• joedenise
    • By joedenise 3rd Feb 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 36,729 Thanks
    joedenise
    The pork spread sounds good - might have to pinch that one for when I have some LO roast pork!

Denise
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 4th Feb 18, 7:24 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    crazytree
    Another vote for the pork spread - I'd never have thought of doing something like that! Sounds really good.
    We've been trying to eat less in the crazy house so smaller portions mean more leftovers . We've had leftovers for lunch a couple of times in the week. It's getting in the way of using up eggs though!
    I made cheese and onion pasties out of a potato, onion, cheese and an egg because I'm working this weekend and am utterly sick of sandwiches. I bought pasties last time I went shopping and they weren't all that so I vowed to make my own. I had a go at making pastry with just lard because I was running out of butter (and because it's a shocking price!). It turned out pretty well, a bit fall-apart-y when rolling out but it patched up ok (not pretty) I forgot to put any salt in it though because I normally use salted butter and don't need any extra. I'll know for next time.
    One bag of the everlasting blackberries used up in a HUGE crumble.
    Not a bad week at all, pleased with myself
    There's been some interesting soup ideas so I really must start using up some veggies to make soups for us.
    Still loving this thread, thanx to you all...
    Tx
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 4th Feb 18, 10:51 AM
    • 4,882 Posts
    • 36,729 Thanks
    joedenise
    I always make pastry with half lard and half hard marge. It makes a bit less likely to fall apart but I think you definitely need some lard in it as it makes it nice and short.

Denise
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 4th Feb 18, 1:46 PM
    • 10,549 Posts
    • 27,452 Thanks
    suki1964
    Crazytree have you thought about breakfast muffins for your eggs?

Fill muffin tins with small diced veg. Add beaten eggs. Top with cheese and bake till cooked

You can do them in mugs in the micro as well

Ideal for taking to work for lunch
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 4th Feb 18, 10:53 PM
    • 15,573 Posts
    • 131,392 Thanks
    JackieO
    I too make pastry half trex/lard, half stork, and its always worked fine for me as well.e

Last night meal was freezer roulette which turned out to be some left over lasagne, and it was really nice.I also had some of the mammoth parone left from Christmas that I chucked some icing on and then a dollop of custard, filled the dessert spot at least.

Tonight I had a lovely roast lamb at Dds with all the trimmings and toffee merengue for pud.Tomorrow my friend is taking me out to lunch as she is coming down to visit me from Dartford, so I think it will be a pub lunch so I will make do with cheese and crackers in the evening as I can't eat two dinners in one day
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Feb 18, 12:59 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hev, couple of questions:-

1. What do you use to store soup in freezer?
    2. How long can you freeze Stilton for & should you defrost it before using in soups?

Thanks

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Feb 18, 1:08 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    What a great idea suki1964. Thanks

MrsSD
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 5th Feb 18, 1:42 AM
    • 10,549 Posts
    • 27,452 Thanks
    suki1964
    I use zip lock bags for soup as I've very little freezer space and they freeze flat

I freeze everything until I'm ready to use it, I've paneer cheese in there at least a year

You don't need to defrost it if the size you froze is the size you need, it will defrost and melt in the soup as you warm it

Freezing cheese alters the texture, it becomes very crumbly
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 5th Feb 18, 8:07 AM
    • 15,573 Posts
    • 131,392 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have soup bags that I bought from the pound shop and they work very well You can also buy them from Lakeland ,but they are obviously more expensive. Once used, I wash thoroughly and resuse a several of times as long as they don't have any lingering smell from previous soups
    • VJsmum
    • By VJsmum 5th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 5,007 Posts
    • 73,619 Thanks
    VJsmum
    I use plastic margarine tubs or plastic single portion tubs from £1 land or similar. they stack well (don't buy plastic margarine any longer so it is mostly the latter now)

today is soup and pud night - it will use up a few soup portions from the freezer and we will have it with the last of the puds from our dinner party on saturday.

tomorrow OH is out and I am having left over roast lamb from yesterday which was plated up with LO spuds and broccoli. I will add another veg..

Four portions of LO lasagne from saturday have also been frozen. This week is yet another freezer week as once again they are bursting at the seams - and one of them had its door left open so has iced up...
    You're out with a friend in the capital, I'm a thousand leagues under the sea
    You're hovering worriedly over your eggs, And I'm pondering trees
    I'm wandering long, And I'm pondering trees
    For you and me
    Guy Garvey
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 5th Feb 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,334 Posts
    • 6,500 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I use the larger yogurt tubs for soup and put about half a pint of soup in each. DH likes to take soup for lunch a couple of times of week. He has one of those S****a soup mugs. If I take the frozen soup out of the freezer when I get up it has usually defrosted just enough for me to empty the tub into his soup mug by the time he leaves.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 5th Feb 18, 11:36 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Freezing Soup
    Thank you for the suggestions suki1964, JackieO, VJsmum & THIRZAH. I think I will use the plastic boxes that our Chinese takeaways come in for single portions of soup. However, yesterday’s soup was finished off tonight with more of the focaccia which goes really well with leek & potato soup 3 hrs later we had apple & berry crumble with custard. I only made a small crumble but there is enough for a portion each tomorrow

On Saturday we were at my uncle’s for lunch & he made something called ‘peperonata’ which was delicious. So I have found a recipe & will make tomorrow but have no idea what to put it with possibly pan fried mackerel fillets from the freezer & boiled potatoes.

Wednesday will be a full roast beef dinner with the smallest piece of beef I have ever seen
    However I intend to cook way too many vegetables & roast potatoes & get my DH to make too much gravy so that we can have an lo’s dinner on Thursday!

Still nothing else thrown away since the 2 tiny bits of mouldy cheese

LFHW

MrsSD
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 15,573 Posts
    • 131,392 Thanks
    JackieO
    Today its in the lap of the gods as I will pop into Dobbies and see if there are any big pieces of gammon left that were reduced last week They had a sell buy date of 8th Feb so they may not have all gone ,if so I will snaffle one if not then its not meant to be

First food shop of February today, though mainly cheese,eggs UHT milk and some fresh fruit so not a lot to buy.Quiz night tonight so no cooking for me

I have some sad looking veg which may be turned into soup later today its definitely soup weather and nothing warms me up more than a hot bowl of soup on a cold day plus it costs buttons to make

Right onwards and upwards chums
    Have a good day and keep warm and dry if you can

Cheers JackieO xx
    • crazytree
    • By crazytree 6th Feb 18, 9:13 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 1,022 Thanks
    crazytree
    Breakfast muffins sounds like a brilliant idea, it would use up eggs, and veg, and stop me needing to wash up the porridge pan EVERY DAY. -horrible job. I shall have a try of that later ready for tomorrow morning! Thanks Suki

I'll let you know if they're nice!
    Tx
    • castleton
    • By castleton 6th Feb 18, 1:11 PM
    • 312 Posts
    • 465 Thanks
    castleton
    I use 1pt Milk Bottles to store soup in the freeze. Also good for talking soup to Work
    • babs 103
    • By babs 103 6th Feb 18, 1:45 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    babs 103
    I've been lurking on this thread for a while, last week I had to get a new fridge freezer as the door broke after 17 years. Since then I've realised how out the thermometer was and how much food I threw away. When I opened a pack of lettuce for example, it used to last 2 days max but I've had an open pack in the salad drawer for 5 days and it's still as good as new.

I am delurking (is that even a word?) to say that I have now listed everything in the freezer and all my cupboards and will work my way through them. I have also now learnt (via this thread) that I had been packing foods incorrectly in the freezer so will now correct that too. I am looking forward to not wasting food or money any more and tasting the different concoctions I find on here, so hopefully will have something different from shepherds pie and chicken casserole all the time.

Thank you all x
    SPC #11 025
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Feb 18, 1:48 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Hi everyone,

Lunch today was ys seeded bread - toasted with a scraping of Berto... & a small tin of mackerel fillets in tomato sauce (have been in the larder for at least a year but surprisingly were NOT ood!) I cannot believe how something sooo simple was so delicious - it’s true what they say “less is more”

See you later alligators

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 6th Feb 18, 1:56 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    babs 103,

This thread is great - spurred me on to make soups which have been a godsend on cold days!
    Congrats on the new fridge/freezer & hopefully you will recoup some of the cost by not having to bin food.

LFHW

MrsSD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,969Posts Today

9,843Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've been asked a few times if I'd been approached about chairing or being on the independent panel on post 18/stud? https://t.co/LpWASObp9k

• Just finished on @bbc5live talking student finance. So complex talking all the iterations

• On @bbc5live now half way through explaining how student finance reallyw orks

• Follow Martin