Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,118Posts
    • 20,801Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £63/£120
    GC YTD - £118/£240
Page 45
    • wort
    • By wort 13th Feb 18, 5:47 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 8,540 Thanks
    wort
    I've eaten the aloo saag, but the call of the fish fingers was too much so they are sat cooking now with a gf thin sat with cheese on waiting for them!!!

I was extremely lucky that my lovely daughter paid the last 13 thousand of my mortgage off when hubby died. My other daughter "bought" hubby's car and is paying the money to dd1 so only 7 thousand owing to dd1 when I die, that is going in my will. I didn't want to take it but the relief of not having to make those payments each month, and knowing I'm safe here and don't need to move is immense.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 14,852 Posts
    • 41,055 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Dinner tonight was another recipe from current cookbook ("How not to die").

So this time it was black bean burgers.

Verdict - not bad. Needed something colourful and liquid-y with it - hence sauted tomatoes. Also had oven-baked chips (basically Slimming World chips - minus the few minutes par-boiling before baking them).

At least the cookbook writer put in the method that one has to put the burgers into the fridge to "firm up" a bit before baking them. That makes a change from the number of times that that instruction has been missing from burger recipes by other people - and then I've wondered why they've fallen to bits somewhat (ie because I'd followed their instructions - so how come they hadnt worked?).

One plus point to date of this cookbook is I've not yet come across any missing ingredients or missing part of the how-to about it. That's one blessing anyway - as so many cookbook authors do miss out either an ingredient or two or a bit of the method and it's blinkin' annoying every time to realise they've clearly not proof-read their own darn book before it got published or they haven't realised they must put in all steps of the method.

Another thing to date is I've not found so far the "swopping and changing" of the number of people the recipe will feed and it's remaining the same as far as I can see so far. That's another thing I don't like about some cookbooks - ie the author thinks it's okay to change from a recipe that's for 4, to a recipe that's for 6, to a recipe that's for 5 and so on. After which it becomes very clear that they've been very lazy in compiling their book - expecting the customer to have to "pick and choose" as to whether a recipe is divisible or multipiable according to how many mouths they're feeding.

At least this one has put some thought into it and not expected the customer to "do their work for them".
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Feb 18, 6:59 PM
    • 5,914 Posts
    • 8,833 Thanks
    Farway
    Chips and fish fingers.... that's it.
    Quick/easy .... as it's so cold I can't feel my fingers
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Good job fish have them, fingers that is, and they are mostly frozen like yours are

The stew & dumplings was not as nice as last week, nice enough but not quite the same. Trouble is last weeks, like this one, was a lobba one so not repeatable

After spending hours trawling t'internet I found the identical shower, in Screwfix locally. Went to see if I could manage turning stop male chicken off, managed it, then tried shower to prove water was off. BUM, shower now works. Maybe all it needed was a good swearing at?

Extra stew now in storage, ready for meal another day. Tomorrow if all well will be Pancake Wednesday, may even spread some of the vegan choccie spread on them, drooling thinking about it
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Feb 18, 7:05 PM
    • 5,914 Posts
    • 8,833 Thanks
    Farway
    Ahh, cook books. I know we all have fumed at them, but I found a classic last week browsing, one of the recipes was for "Wild Boar with Juniper"
    I was so gob smacked that I never noticed how many it served, 4 if you have a leg each I suppose
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Feb 18, 7:56 PM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 20,801 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,
    PN- I've not had fish fingers in ages and still have a few lurking in the freezer. They could well be featuring some time soon

wort- I'm sure your daughter's were delighted to give their Mum (and themselves) peace of mind knowing your house was secured.

Farway - re the shower, it's amazing though the things that seem to magically fix themselves after a good "talking to" and the threat of being replaced.

MTSTM - my pet hate is not inconsistency on serves X between recipes but inconsistencies within recipes especially where it is X served with Y where X serves 6 and Y serves 4- blinking laziness I always think .

It was actually quite sunny & milder this afternoon but the clear skies mean it's baltic now. Back to rain/sleet and gales later and my balance isn't happy with the weather pressure change....

Pancake batter has been given a good beating and is now having a "think" in the fridge. Thankfully the OOD egg (use by 29/01!) showed absolutely no sign of floating nor did it's pal which will be boiled tomorrow. I'm just going with the tin of chicken supreme with added mushrooms, spinach and corn as the filling which I'll then bake in the oven with a sprinkle of grated mozzarella on the top.

My younger son phoned a wee while ago, I think mainly to see if I was making pancakes tonight , he had planned to but had only just finished work and CBA'd. Weather permitting he's hoping to come up this weekend so I think it may have been a subtle hint to make another batch.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Feb 18, 8:00 PM
    • 14,852 Posts
    • 41,055 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

After spending hours trawling t'internet I found the identical shower, in Screwfix locally. Went to see if I could manage turning stop male chicken off, managed it, then tried shower to prove water was off. BUM, shower now works. Maybe all it needed was a good swearing at?
    Originally posted by Farway
    Now I could share a "fact for the week" that I learnt earlier this week at this point.....

The name "slider" doesn't just apply to a bit of gadgetry with a switch one can slide to and fro or the like.

It is also the name applied to a person that can (unconsciously) affect electrics (whether it's their own electrics or streetlights for instance). Wondering if you might have come across a slider or two in your previous incarnation as an electrician? Now you weren't in a temper the first time - and calmer the second were you?

A sort of unconscious Uri Geller of the electrical variety - as in the person isn't trying to do it - but if they are "exploding with temper" for instance about something - light bulbs/street lights/computers (yep...a whole office worth...LOL) can be affected. At least my mother thinks so .......... Thanks mother.....
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 13-02-2018 at 8:03 PM.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,560 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I'd originally visualised fish fingers and chips in a toasted roll earlier, but later decided I CBA with the roll, so just had the fish fingers/chips at tea-time.

I've just had the roll on its own with a bit of marg. Didn't toast it.

I do like those big bread baps (4ldi, 4 for 45p). L1dl don't do bigguns. They're nice and big and soft
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 13th Feb 18, 10:49 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 46,749 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Pancake Day, and I was determined not to miss out.
    I didn't have any eggs or enough milk, so I tried bicarb in the flour and whey protein with water instead of milk. Worked a treat, lovely fluffy pancakes, much lighter than my usual flat crepes made with plain flour. Doing that again. They were far more like giant Scotch pancakes, but very yummy.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 14th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    • 11,343 Posts
    • 69,589 Thanks
    kittie
    A busy day ahead of me, sorting, clearing in the garage, Cooking will be the last thing on my mind so I am very grateful to have discovered a portion of dahl in the freezer, it`s out defrosting as is a lamb burger. Before I venture out, garage is across the common gravelled area, I will do what I did yesterday ie prep the veg for burger, also will set the rice to be ready at a a set time probably last meal as I will be wanting an easy comforting bowlful to go with an ibuprofen for the aches I am bound to have earned, added to the ones I earned yesterday
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 14th Feb 18, 8:00 AM
    • 10,554 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    suki1964
    By eck itís bloomin blowy out there

Iíve been up, made Dhís breakfast and lunch and have come back to bed where itís warm

Congratulations on the OP Wednesday2000, a fantastic achievement

Caronc, I love the idea of a grid

I was always too scared to think about how much we owed when we first bought. A total doer upper ( only the front wall and roof stayed) which we bought when mortgage rates were still double figures, add the that all the money needed to gut and rebuild

Luckily we bought at the right time, rates came down, house prices climbed, so when we sold that, was only a small mortgage for this one. Which we bought two years before the crash . Dhís work dried up for two years or so, Maybe only getting a few months work a year so for a while we switched to an interest only mortgage , then when the rates dropped through the floor we took the decision to use our savings and pay it off completely. So ok, we donít have much in the way of savings but no one can take our home away and not having a mortgage we can afford both work pt. Best feeling in the world to be mortgage free

Cooking has gone out the window these past few days as the grandkids have been staying. I canít be doing with cooking for five people all wanting different things so all meals were geared to what I knew the youngest would eat, so pizza, sausage and chips and fish finger sandwiches appeared on the menu

Last night was pork loin, piles of it left so Iím thinking Chinese later in the week. Tonight will be lasagne as Iím off today so can potter in the kitchen to my hearts content. Made a big pot of broth yesterday for Dhís flask for the week. Itís the one soup I donít like but he loves it

PN, I too am waiting on a delivery. Iím sure she said on the phone they would email me when it was dispatched ( ordered Monday ) but no email yet . Itís a bummer because Iím really wanting it now. Right this very minute no less lol I have had lots of emails thanking me for the order, confirming the order, asking me for feedback etc. just not the one saying itís on itís way

Itís times like this I miss that we donít have the stores here that you do on the mainland
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Feb 18, 8:21 AM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,560 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I know some people have vacuum machines ...

Just spotted this, no idea how interesting this is as they might not be the right sort, or a shop you go to, or a good price.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-vacuum-food-sealer-refills/p/095233174554400

Eggs:

And just spotted these! I already have one, but I was looking at mine yesterday thinking "one day I'll have to replace that" as mine was 2nd-hand and is already more than 10 years old, so at £1.99 I'll be looking out for these in the coming week.

One egg .... they just work.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crofton-microwave-egg-boiler/p/074327192107401
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 14-02-2018 at 8:24 AM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Feb 18, 9:49 AM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 10,707 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have had a banana and a cup of coffee. I'm not sure what I fancy. I did buy some porridge oats as I will try them again, but don't want them right now.

Hmm, maybe baked beans on toast...

I'm waiting for a delivery as well.

I was extremely lucky that my lovely daughter paid the last 13 thousand of my mortgage off when hubby died.
    Originally posted by wort
    How kind of her.xxx
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 10/60
    • caronc
    • By caronc 14th Feb 18, 11:00 AM
    • 3,118 Posts
    • 20,801 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,
    Thanks for the heads up re the sealer bags PN- I shall ask my son to nip by Aldi before he comes home this weekend.

I'm having a bit of a sluggish start this morning mainly I think due to a very disrupted night. It's very stormy and something was banging in the distance and kept waing me, so I'm taking it gently while I wait for my oomph to wake up.

Scotch pancakes and jam for breakfast , I managed to get three crepes and 4 scotch pancakes from the mix so it will be pancakes again tomorrow. I really enjoyed the savoury ones last night and there is enough filling left to have with pasta tomorrow.

I'm just going to finish a cuppa then pop a venison sausage, root veg & lentil stew in the SC. I've a huge parsnip and small swede so some of these will be getting turned into a winter "slaw" with carrot, apple, celery & walnuts and a mustard,yoghurt and orange juice dressing. I'll have some of that for lunch with a couple of bits of cooked turkey breast I took out of the freezer last night and a hard boiled egg.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 14th Feb 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 12,408 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I know some people have vacuum machines ...

Just spotted this, no idea how interesting this is as they might not be the right sort, or a shop you go to, or a good price.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-vacuum-food-sealer-refills/p/095233174554400
    Thanks PN. They are very good value. I need to pop into Aldi for a couple of things so will go tomorrow and get some .
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 5,914 Posts
    • 8,833 Thanks
    Farway
    Cold & dull with rain due, stayed in to "sort out" online banking. What a palaver, now tells me "we are experiencing difficulties" I gave up. MTSM, if I am a "slider" expect huge explosion near Swindon HQ of N'wide

Breakfast was HM yoghurt with honey
    Lunch is the very last of the BF ham, with salad in a sarnie
    Dinner, planned on being the pancakes I forgot about yesterday

Feeling cold now, heating going back on before my nose drops off
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 14th Feb 18, 12:35 PM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 10,707 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I had tofu scramble with toast and the delivery arrived just after I finished eating.

I just made a big pot of veggie soup and read the end of my book while I was waiting. I will have a toasted ciabatta roll with it.

I'm making corn tortillas with refried beans, rice, salad and salsa tonight.
    2018: Simplify your life
    Books Read 10/60
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,560 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    As the vacuum bags went down a treat and seem to get the thumbs up, I'll also mention that 4ldi are flogging a machine to use them in ... £24.99. For those of you who have been umming and aahing over whether to get one as a few people seem to use them.

Ideal for anybody wishing to save money by spending £25+£10 to get the pair

https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-vacuum-food-sealer/p/095220174554200

Personally ... I don't really know what it's all about and why people'd use them... but I'm from simple stock.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 14th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 5,914 Posts
    • 8,833 Thanks
    Farway
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/ambiano-vacuum-food-sealer/p/095220174554200

Personally ... I don't really know what it's all about and why people'd use them... but I'm from simple stock.
    Must be our dragging up I've never heard of them either, and no idea how I would use them. But each to their own, maybe, like TV remotes or cling film, they are indispensable once you have used them?

Lunch eaten, had a couple of crackers to follow it.

Tried my perforated spoon thingy out for another cuppa. Getting annoyed about the A4da leaf tea, seems to be mostly dust. So annoyed I phoned them, "try me, love me" offer. Result, they are sending a voucher for £3

I'll try the Sainsbugs or Morries loose tea next time. I prefer the 99 from Co op but seems to have vanished from my one

Looking forward to my pancakes and getting a bit peckish so just may go a bit earlier
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 14th Feb 18, 3:16 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,560 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I fancied sausage rolls .... even though I plan to buy beef tomorrow so owning TWO pieces of food lasting 3-4 days apiece would be food overload. So I got all dressed up warm and with a little plastic mac on ... stepped outside and thought "barger this! it's cold and wet wet wet" so I came back inside and chose a big burger from the freezer (it's sat there 3 months as I didn't really like the other one that much) - and cooked that with some oven chips.

So at least I've not got food overload .... and I used up something from the freezer that's been bugging me.

Still had no shelf call... in a way that thought was at the back of my mind when I decided not to walk to the shop in the rain... I thought "if I'm waiting for a call it'll come right as I'm trying to count my pennies out from my purse" ....
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 14,852 Posts
    • 41,055 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Well that was lunch out with a friend and we duly shared a dish of baked camembert, crusty bread, various salads, grapes, avocado, halloumi, etc. I did treat myself to a rare bit of cake afterwards (chocolate cake). My hipster coffee I like (yep...duly done correctly I noted).

We both agreed the bill was astonishingly low for what we had had - and a generous tip was given.

My attitude towards tips is basically that I don't believe in them - because I think they're rarely warranted and certainly feel most uncomfortable about people wanting to tip for a meal that has been god-awful (it just encourages the cafe/pub/restaurant to carry right on being god-awful imo).

But, if I do think something is rather better goods and/or services than I think is "fair" - then I will tip and do so very generously (ie to encourage them to "keep up the good work"). So I will occasionally be found handing over 30-50% extra if I think it's worth it. Yep...that's my version of "Because you're worth it". I want what I'm worth (and rarely get it....sighs...) - but I expect other people to get what they're worth (or not...) too.

So my friend was quite pleased with me - as the place had been my suggestion and she liked it too. Friends soon learn that I'm "fussy" about what I like - and, if I say something is good, then it really is and they head there expectantly

Tonights meal a later one then. Think I shall probably try out another recipe from current cookbook - morning grain bowls this time. Cooked whole grains (cooked rice duly hauled out of freezer), a bit of cooked cannelini beans (huh?? oh well - try it), flaxseeds, tiny bit of tumeric, berries, banana, plant mylk, date syrup, ginger.

I should think I'll like that - time will tell.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 14-02-2018 at 3:25 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,427Posts Today

9,373Users online

Martin's Twitter