Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,105Posts
    • 20,756Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £63/£120
    GC YTD - £118/£240
Page 41
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 10th Feb 18, 2:38 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 12,387 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I'm in a don't really feel like cooking mood today so am having an easy day.

Breakast was a Greek yoghurt and a slice of toast and lunch was a tuna mayo sandwich, so nice and easy.

I've got a portion of beef goulash out of the freezer for dinner, and some mash to go with it. At least that gets something out of the freezer.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Feb 18, 4:17 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    My house is a modernish (1964) terrace, two large bedrooms and one smaller one. Loo and bathroom are up some very steep stairs, which give me an enormous hallway. This has its uses as it enables me to keep my adult's trike indoors.
    It's a townhouse, which means a large flowerbed at the east-facing front, and a small patio with flowerbed at the west-facing back.
    My attic is empty, as it's too dangerous for me to access it, living on my own. Stuff that would be in the attic ( suitcases, etc) is in the two bedrooms not in use.
    I would love a two or one bed bungalow with secure covered storage for my trike, but they don't exist for purchase in my locality, though there are plenty of housing association properties of this description.

Back on topic. Yesterday I had a CBA meal of roast sausages and roast tinned potatoes with a lovely thick gravy. I buy tinned potatoes a lot, and never ever eat them as they come out of the tin, (vile), but always in things. They are great sliced for hotpots, roasted, or in the food processor with cooked fish of some description for fish cakes.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Feb 18, 4:41 PM
    • 61,559 Posts
    • 360,546 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I buy tinned potatoes a lot, and never ever eat them as they come out of the tin, (vile), but always in things. They are great sliced for hotpots, roasted, or in the food processor with cooked fish of some description for fish cakes.
    Originally posted by mcculloch29
    Me too. They're great as something else, never as potatoes alone
    I mostly use them for spud salad in summer and something to toss in the slow cooker if I don't have fresh spuds. Hotpot toppers and sliced/roasted works OK too.

I've always got one can in, often two... I probably use four cans/year.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm a bit of a hoarder, not in a piles of stuff everywhere type of way (I like the place to be tidy) but struggle to get rid of anything I might conceivable use at some point. Especially kitchen bits. I'm good with paperwork retention but not much else .

I opened a jar of balsamic pickled shallots I made last Autumn ostensibly to have at Christmas and promptly forgot about them! I was looking in the cupboard for a new jar of gherkins and there they were. Can't see the jar lasting long now they were gorgeous.

I had the remaining fish pie with assorted pickled veg for lunch and the gammon is cooked so not much to do for dinner tonight. I must remember to soak peas tonight so I can make soup tomorrow.

I've never really got into tinned spuds though do have an "emergency" tin in the cupboard (in date-just )which I really should use up.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Feb 18, 5:31 PM
    • 61,559 Posts
    • 360,546 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I sliced one of my big rolls in half and spread each half with marg.
    Nom.

I fancy crisps. I have no crisps. I bought 18 packs in December and ate them all .... so I should really leave it a bit longer before I buy more .... but that doesn't stop me fancying them
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 7:12 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    caronc
    A roll and crisps - has to be up there on my list of guilty pleasures. Has to be real butter though. A pleasure I very seldom indulge in as too much salt but oh boy it's good.

The weather has turned really nasty, it probably would be better if it just snowed as forecast, might warm things up a bit.

While it's far from cold in my kitchen the wind and rain is battering off the conservatory so I'm having to motivate myself to go and make dinner and tidy the place up. Still needs must I suppose as I'm getting hungry
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    caronc
    Nipped to the loo, turned on the light and there was a huge slug on the floor (now deceased ). Shining a torch showed a trail from the bath plug hole.... Said hole has now had loads of salt popped down and the plug lowered. Much as I admire it's determination I have no desire for it's friends to send out a search party
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 14,841 Posts
    • 41,032 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Must admit that whenever any "livestock" is in my home - my first thought isnt "shoo it gently out the window". It's much more along the lines of "Belt it one quick - and firm".
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • Elona
    • By Elona 10th Feb 18, 8:59 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Elona
    I thought I was being sensible cooking some leek and potato soup and a small cottage pie for tomorrow as only one dd was popping in and was not sure if she would have already eaten.

Got a phone call an hour ago that there could be four people popping in. Chicken burgers and beef burgers are defrosting and I will nip to the shop to get salad and bread rolls and maybe potatoes to cook wedges.

Must remember to switch on heater in conservatory as it is freezing in there and that is where the dining table and chairs are.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 10th Feb 18, 9:05 PM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    caronc
    Must admit that whenever any "livestock" is in my home - my first thought isnt "shoo it gently out the window". It's much more along the lines of "Belt it one quick - and firm".
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Depends on the "livestock" - spiders (unless they join me in the shower), bees, daddy longlegs and moths/butterflies get a reprieve. Anything else tends to get thwacked!
    I thought I was being sensible cooking some leek and potato soup and a small cottage pie for tomorrow as only one dd was popping in and was not sure if she would have already eaten.

Got a phone call an hour ago that there could be four people popping in. Chicken burgers and beef burgers are defrosting and I will nip to the shop to get salad and bread rolls and maybe potatoes to cook wedges.

Must remember to switch on heater in conservatory as it is freezing in there and that is where the dining table and chairs are.
    Originally posted by Elona
    Best laid schemes and all that....
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Depends on the "livestock" - spiders (unless they join me in the shower), bees, daddy longlegs and moths/butterflies get a reprieve. Anything else tends to get thwacked!

Best laid schemes and all that....
    Originally posted by caronc
    I'm not sure what your reasoning is, but don't give daddy longlegs a reprieve, please! Do kill them. Their larvae are those evil little leatherjackets that live in soil and destroy seedlings and small plants.

RHS on leatherjackets
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 10th Feb 18, 11:10 PM
    • 4,731 Posts
    • 46,736 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Back on topic, I returned to my tinned stores for this evening's meal. I had saag aloo, using tinned spinach (massive tin from Wing Yip, great value) and the aforementioned tinned spuds.

Saag aloo was spiced up with cumin, turmeric and wholegrain mustard, with some olive oil mixed in so everything stuck together.

Although this sounds more like a side than a main meal, the spices really lift it and give it a bit of zip, so that, like daal, it is more than the sum of its parts.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 11th Feb 18, 7:02 AM
    • 11,326 Posts
    • 69,497 Thanks
    kittie
    flubbery, teach me how to mentally get rid of nice but bulky furniture? I know I would probably have to pay someone to take it, like the last time when I had this fantastic ercol dresser but it was dark brown. I had to pay £50 to have it taken away. You would faint at the original price of it. It is the mental thing, my lovely sofa is large, squashy and dark brown dull colour leather with bright earthy cushions. I can sleep on it if needed but it will be too big sooner or later

I would love a conservatory when I move and will make sure I get one or update one to be more energy efficient. If I could turn the clock back 30 years then all my furniture would be modular, light oak, smaller pieces that fit together in whatever space I had. Now I have some bits that are bulky and alone would fill a room. I know one day I will have to truly downsize for the last time but not now, in ten years maybe

I`ll think of food later, a bit stomach churny thinking about getting rid of stuff
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 8:13 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    caronc
    I'm not sure what your reasoning is, but don't give daddy longlegs a reprieve, please! Do kill them. Their larvae are those evil little leatherjackets that live in soil and destroy seedlings and small plants.

RHS on leatherjackets
    I didn't know that - I shall whack them in future!
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 8:14 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    caronc
    Back on topic, I returned to my tinned stores for this evening's meal. I had saag aloo, using tinned spinach (massive tin from Wing Yip, great value) and the aforementioned tinned spuds.

Saag aloo was spiced up with cumin, turmeric and wholegrain mustard, with some olive oil mixed in so everything stuck together.

Although this sounds more like a side than a main meal, the spices really lift it and give it a bit of zip, so that, like daal, it is more than the sum of its parts.
    That sounds just scrummy
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 8:47 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    caronc
    Good morning everyone,

Brrr it's cold here this morning, snow is forecast and there are lots of purple clouds gathering so round about will get some even we don't.

Definitely a day for the pea and ham soup I'm going to make once I've finished my cuppa and got myself organised.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • Elona
    • By Elona 11th Feb 18, 9:06 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 541 Thanks
    Elona
    kittie

We had some pine furniture that had gone orange and donated it to a couple of dds who promptly painted it in grey, cream or white and it looks really good.

Middle dd bought some dark dining room room furniture from gumtree a few years ago and painted it white/ cream and I recovered the dining chairs in a pale mint shabby chic tapestry fabric and even had enough fabric for a seat and bolster on the window ledge.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Feb 18, 9:24 AM
    • 14,841 Posts
    • 41,032 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Got an idea I might do one of the recipes from my list for dinner today - ie pesto carrot noodles with white beans and tomatoes.

The "noodles" being spiralised carrots.

Just had a check of the ingredients and see the "green" part of the pesto is down as being basil. Darn - forgot to get basil. I do have spinach in - and my French sorrel in the garden seems to be starting to re-grow early for the spring. So I'm guessing I could use spinach/bit of sorrel instead of the basil.

The "nutty Parm" (non dairy equivalent of Parmesan) is made with nuts and nutritional yeast and I've not tried making that element before - fingers crossed it will be to my taste.
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • Glad
    • By Glad 11th Feb 18, 10:13 AM
    • 17,924 Posts
    • 39,058 Thanks
    Glad
    It's a nice looking day, but is really cold.

I see no point in leaving the house .... I have nowhere to go and nothing specific to do. Leaving the house involves spending money. So I see no point in leaving the house.

I have pie in the fridge.

If you're not going out for something, or to something, or for a reason, there's no reason to go out there is there.... just because "well, it looks nice/sunny out there", when, in fact, you know it's cold....
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    I agree PN we were forecast snow today but it's actually sunny and blue skies, morning dog walk was freezing though!!

I'd love to spend the day in my comfies in the warm (and most of it will be) but need to go on another walk later, I'll combine it with a visit to my local cemetery, wrapped up in lot's of woolies
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
    • caronc
    • By caronc 11th Feb 18, 10:24 AM
    • 3,105 Posts
    • 20,756 Thanks
    caronc
    I suspect the sum of my venturing out today will be to the bin....

Dried peas are currently in the pressure cooker, just need to get the veggies chopped.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,277Posts Today

7,210Users online

Martin's Twitter