Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,113Posts
    • 20,796Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £63/£120
    GC YTD - £118/£240
Page 39
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Click and Collect never occurs to me at supermarkets.... my local Sains used to have a van parked in the car park by a sign - I never understood it. They've recently marked out two bays for C/C well sign posted and the other day I saw somebody parking there, so watched for a bit, but was still confused. A woman/man/child parked. Man/child walked away. Woman got out of the car and I think she spoke to the machine .... after that I left, so no idea what happened in the end.

No idea if you're supposed to sit at the car and wait, or go inside, or what.
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Feb 18, 11:41 AM
    • 2,695 Posts
    • 6,091 Thanks
    spirit
    Click and Collect never occurs to me at supermarkets.... my local Sains used to have a van parked in the car park by a sign - I never understood it. They've recently marked out two bays for C/C well sign posted and the other day I saw somebody parking there, so watched for a bit, but was still confused. A woman/man/child parked. Man/child walked away. Woman got out of the car and I think she spoke to the machine .... after that I left, so no idea what happened in the end.

No idea if you're supposed to sit at the car and wait, or go inside, or what.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew

Supermarkets (or Matalan that I know of) don't keep all their stock in stores - even the larger stores, so If you've seen something online and don't see it in store, you can do the C&C. I've done a few things for my daughter's new baby. Lots of clothes they liked weren't in A5da. the Moses basket wasn't in Matalan store and had to be C&c'd. the A5da was the fastest to deliver to store. Matalan took forever.

I've not used the 'station' that they have at the 'drive in' ones (T3sco has one here too). I assume you press a button and someone from the store brings it over to you in the car.
    Last edited by spirit; 09-02-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 11:55 AM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Supermarkets (or Matalan that I know of) don't keep all their stock in stores - even the larger stores, so If you've seen something online and don't see it in store, you can do the C&C. ...
    Originally posted by spirit
    The issue I have with that as a system is that I'm rarely about - and if I am in a shop for something, then I'd like to get it then and there because I won't be around next week, or next month, to pop in again.

Also, quite often, you don't know IF you want it until you've seen it for yourself, touched it.... when you see something in real life you might just think "Yuck, didn't realise it looked like that ... didn't realise it looked so cheap ... didn't realise the edges were like that ... "

And arranging to have it sent back is then another pain in the butt etc.

If your life's used to receiving/sending parcels and you've the time to wait for drivers, or can park near a convenient Post Office and don't mind lugging stuff about, that's fine. For those unused to owning/buying goods ... who don't go in'/near Post Offices ... it's a whole new world of "rather not do that as it all sounds like a recipe for disaster and faffery".
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Feb 18, 12:08 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 12,408 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    If your life's used to receiving/sending parcels and you've the time to wait for drivers, or can park near a convenient Post Office and don't mind lugging stuff about, that's fine. For those unused to owning/buying goods ... who don't go in'/near Post Offices ... it's a whole new world of "rather not do that as it all sounds like a recipe for disaster and faffery".
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    This is why, wherever I can I buy online from shops where you can use click and collect, because I can then collect it on a day/time suitable to me rather than wait in for a delivery. I also try to use shops online where I can return the goods to the store for an immediate refund to my credit/debit card if whatever I have bought turns out to be unsuitable.

I can't be doing with all that packaging something back up and taking it to the post office, and then in my case, stressing until I know it has been received back by the company and waiting for them to then re-credit my debit/cred card. I do find that too stressful.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Mid bath I suddenly thought .... I bet the shelves in the shed are the same sort ... (need to check) .... and I bet the reason the shelves there don't fit is because they're a 5-shelf .... and only 4 was tall enough ....

So I'm now wondering if the left over piece from the shed shelving will fit onto this 4-shelf unit.... I bet they're all the same stuff (if the same manufacturer) and they do sell 5s too....

I'll find out later this year - either when I am sorting out stuff onto the new shelves and discover the info that came with the packaging of the shed shelves (I keep everything) ... and/or when I'm next in the shed to get the mower out to cut the grass and I spot the spare shelf at the back and can compare the two and give it a go.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 12:59 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    Having already pigged out on a fat breakfast of a thick crust, baked beans, scrambled eggs......

Lunch was a cheese omelette.

It'd have been nice to have that as a cheese omelette, chips, beans - but I've no chips ... and CBA to make my own when I was eating/acting on a whim .... and I could've put some beans on the side of the omelette, but CBA to be honest

For omelettes I don't really have "the right dish", so I am always disappointed at the size of the end result... one day I'll get a bigger dish, on a whim.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 1:19 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 20,796 Thanks
    caronc
    I've only ever used "click & collect" at Boots. Our local one is tiny so doesn't hold much stock. It worked really well and returns were to the shop so no faffing with posting if I didn't want something.

I wasn't hugely hungry for breakfast so just had the remaining two dried figs and a small handful of grapes. Consequently come noon I was wanting more than just a small crusty roll. I defrosted a small portion of the parsnip & chestnut soup and had that with my cheese and beetroot roll so my tummy has now stopped complaining

I'm swithering if I want to add leeks & peas to my fish and sauce and if I want cheesy chive mash on top. I shall ponder that while I have my afternoon snooze......
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Feb 18, 2:15 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 12,408 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    I couldn't decide what I wanted for breakfast this morning so decided to go for the option of scrambled eggs on toast, on the basis that it was easiest at the time . Yoghurt would have been easier but I've run out of that.

Lunch was a couple of sausage rolls left over from yesterday with some salad.

I've got a chicken casserole/stew in the slow cooker. One of those use up all the veg at the bottom of the fridge type ones. I'll have that with a jacket potato and some steamed cabbage.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 9th Feb 18, 4:26 PM
    • 5,914 Posts
    • 8,833 Thanks
    Farway
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages, so been having a chase around because I changed my e -mail at the same time.

Blooming cold wind today, heating turned on, too cold to sit here with numb fingers

Nothing much for me in Lild this morning, still no 1kg frozen chips in stock, however W/r have sent me £1 voucher off frozen food so I could buy some of theirs next time I'm in

Lunch was BF ham & salad sarnie, then 1/8 of my C & O pie, which I had out prepping for dinner and a bit just popped into my mouth

mid afternoon cuppa with bread + some of my vegan no anything choc spread. Not bad, would buy again but not at full price of nearly £4

I noticed, for us stew lovers, Lild have the diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up

Dinner is more of the C & O pie, quite full with all the nibbling so may just be 1/8 this time, with piccalilli, and top up with bread & choc spread as required

MTSTM, listening to Gardeners' QT and James Wong reckoned Lemon Grass, grown yourself, makes good tea substitute, using the leaves. The grass stem would be to fibrous for eating when grown in UK, but leaves OK. Just a thought for an experiment this summer

I've used C & C for some items, not food, from the likes of John Lewis/ collect from W/r, Asda & Argos, all in store though, not some mystery van in the car park, I've seen them but no idea how it works. I found it very easy, and most importantly, as HH mentioned, choose own time & day. In my case early in day, easy parking & no queues
    Last edited by Farway; 09-02-2018 at 4:29 PM.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 4:48 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....still no 1kg frozen chips in stock....
    Originally posted by Farway
    It's annoying, I'm convinced they've dropped them as they were so cheap/Kg and are instead putting pricier ones up for sale. Slowly gentrifying everything....

.....diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up
    Me too! It flattened nicely for the freezer, taking up little space!
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 4:50 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 20,796 Thanks
    caronc
    Farway - I've just had to go through the same rigamarole with my password, I thought it was because Firefox had updated so glad it's not just me.

You've certainly had your money's worth out of your C&O pie
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 9th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 6,024 Posts
    • 28,330 Thanks
    pineapple
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages,
    Me too. They must be having an early spring clean. Plus a google link to the site decided my browser was old. Well it's not actually. I am on the latest Firefox ESR for people like me who are still on XP. Yes it's my operating system that's old!
    Got bacon and chestnut mushrooms cooking on the multifuel stove for bacon rolls. Later it's microwave toffee and ginger sponge. Because I'm worth it.....
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 20,796 Thanks
    caronc
    It's blinking baltic here again, according to the forecast although the temperature got to 4C it "feels like -2C", your damn tootin it does if not lower.
    Snow alert has been lifted until Sunday so I was hoping it might warm up a bit tomorrow- nope it's to be wet, windy and cold.

I've decided that I'm just going to have my veg separate from the pie but make cheesy mash for the top.

All this talk of stew - I can feel a beef stew or chilli/curry might be getting popped in the SC at some point over the next few days as I've stewing steak in the freezer.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 5:45 PM
    • 14,851 Posts
    • 41,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Yep...also had to change my password.

Farway - that's lemongrass added to the shopping list tomorrow. This time I will get round to trying out making a drink from it and see what happens.

Dinner cooking currently - and I'm doing a bit of use-up here. So it's going to be a bit of an odd mixture of a sort of stew with curry flavour - using up some spinach leaves and about a dessertspoon of curry paste (had forgotten I'd got 2 and a bit jars of that - and it doesnt match new way of eating). So I've just used a dollop of it and binned the rest (too out-of-date for the foodbank to get the 2 unopened jars), some mushrooms, some canned tomatoes, some soya bean "mince".

I'll eat that with some baked sweet potato chips.

Feel like I've now made reasonable progress towards food reorganisation/learning some bits about "new food" eating. Long way to go still. Quick check of stomach and I "think" it's getting marginally smaller again - fingers crossed.
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • wort
    • By wort 9th Feb 18, 5:46 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    wort
    I've had to sort password too!! It wouldn't recognise my new email. So left it as the old one.

The store I work in does click and collect, I used to work on this section, clothing not food. It's in the next day after ordering , it comes in with the name and order ref on the packaging . People either try on /look at what they've bought in store or take home , refund can be done straight away or up to 35/45 days later.
    I ordered from tesc@ yesterday some gym leggings for yoga and picked them up from the express store up the road, they are fine but if I need a refund I'd take them back to the superstore as express don't refund clothes.

I had the last of Sunday roast chicken with cheese on a toastie for lunch with a lemon whipped yogurt with a kiwi chopped in it.
    Just eaten tea with dgson , chicken jalfrezi, rice and poppadoms. With a magnum style lolly after.

Beautiful sunny day but bitterly cold, the sun has only just left us. I love it staying lighter for longer.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    ....binned the rest (too out-of-date for the foodbank to get the 2 unopened jars)...
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    It's a shame they don't have a shelf for "out of date stuff that's sealed" for people to take a chance if they're happy to do so; outside of what they get on offer, a "help yourself/out of date" shelf...

I really fancy pie, but I have no pie .... and I can't justify buying pie because I've got food in the freezer and cupboards.... sausage rolls are just like pies, but they're not like mince/steak/gravy pies, so this time having sausage rolls won't scratch the pie itch.

I can get the beef next week ... which means I need to buy a pie and eat one this weekend really, because once I've got beef that'll be many days' meals ... all the time I'll fancy pie.

I've got the final Xmas spuds that still need using up - so pie and mash seems like a good thing to think about buying/cooking this weekend at some time when I do go out to food shop.

How come L1dl/4ldi never have £2/serves 4 pies as their special of the week?
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-02-2018 at 5:54 PM.
    • meg72
    • By meg72 9th Feb 18, 6:12 PM
    • 4,995 Posts
    • 45,633 Thanks
    meg72
    Back again, MSE decided I had not changed my password in ages, so been having a chase around because I changed my e -mail at the same time.

Blooming cold wind today, heating turned on, too cold to sit here with numb fingers

Nothing much for me in Lild this morning, still no 1kg frozen chips in stock, however W/r have sent me £1 voucher off frozen food so I could buy some of theirs next time I'm in

Lunch was BF ham & salad sarnie, then 1/8 of my C & O pie, which I had out prepping for dinner and a bit just popped into my mouth

mid afternoon cuppa with bread + some of my vegan no anything choc spread. Not bad, would buy again but not at full price of nearly £4

I noticed, for us stew lovers, Lild have the diced beef back on offer from next Thursday. I'll be topping up, very lean and tasty last time, hope they keep the standard up

Dinner is more of the C & O pie, quite full with all the nibbling so may just be 1/8 this time, with piccalilli, and top up with bread & choc spread as required

MTSTM, listening to Gardeners' QT and James Wong reckoned Lemon Grass, grown yourself, makes good tea substitute, using the leaves. The grass stem would be to fibrous for eating when grown in UK, but leaves OK. Just a thought for an experiment this summer

I've used C & C for some items, not food, from the likes of John Lewis/ collect from W/r, Asda & Argos, all in store though, not some mystery van in the car park, I've seen them but no idea how it works. I found it very easy, and most importantly, as HH mentioned, choose own time & day. In my case early in day, easy parking & no queues
    Also had to change password, why? wish t hey would leave things alone. TV also giving me the evil eye, some channels have been changed, follow instructions, would if I could find them lol .

Had a senior moment and tipped the carefully strained chicken stock back into electric pressure cooker without the inner pot, big clean up and now error messages from said appliance.

My all singing and dancing, expensive lol, sewing machine is having a hickey fit, my lovely yoghurt maker decided to take a holiday and didn't yog.

Cant decide if I should, if its still possible, just to forget modern stuff and haunt the car boots for reliable, lol ,old stuff or let them cart me off to a care home.

Oh and I also cant find where I stored photos so I can post on here, you were kind enough to advise some time ago.

Anyway just wanted to ask how much is the beef on offer from lydl next Thursday.
    Slimming World at target
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 6:19 PM
    • 61,563 Posts
    • 360,558 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    About Xmas I randomly bought a whole Soreen loaf, something with a festive flavour variation. It lurked. Earlier today I opened it... wasn't impressed at all, so to get shot of it .... I ate the lot.

Just made/ate a toasted crust topped with beans/cheese.

I'm having a pigsy day it seems
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 6:20 PM
    • 3,113 Posts
    • 20,796 Thanks
    caronc
    Also had to change password, why? wish t hey would leave things alone. TV also giving me the evil eye, some channels have been changed, follow instructions, would if I could find them lol .

Had a senior moment and tipped the carefully strained chicken stock back into electric pressure cooker without the inner pot, big clean up and now error messages from said appliance.

My all singing and dancing, expensive lol, sewing machine is having a hickey fit, my lovely yoghurt maker decided to take a holiday and didn't yog.

Cant decide if I should, if its still possible, just to forget modern stuff and haunt the car boots for reliable, lol ,old stuff or let them cart me off to a care home.

Oh and I also cant find where I stored photos so I can post on here, you were kind enough to advise some time ago.

Anyway just wanted to ask how much is the beef on offer from lydl next Thursday.
    Originally posted by meg72
    Oh Meg sounds like you've had the type of day when bedtime can't come soon enough!
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 6:24 PM
    • 14,851 Posts
    • 41,053 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Eaten that dinner now - it comes under "Well - I ate it" heading and there's leftovers of it for tomorrow. Oh well - try not to waste any more than I can help....

Oh dear - now feels nervous about switching on tv - in case it's all gone odd. It took me some time to train myself into getting Channel 4 here by pushing for Channel 7 (as that is what it's on in Wales) - after the easy stuff of BBC1 is still 1, BBC2 is still 2, ITV is still 3.

On that note - I'd better stop reading (yet another) new cookbook I've had through in the post and go and check the tv out.
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,833Posts Today

9,107Users online

Martin's Twitter