Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • caronc
    • By caronc 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    • 3,107Posts
    • 20,780Thanks
    caronc
    Cooking for one (Mark Three)
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:48 AM
    Cooking for one (Mark Three) 13th Jan 18 at 8:48 AM
    Welcome to Cooking one (Mark Three), time to get a shiny new thread up and running. The link to "Cooking for one (Mark Two)" can be found here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73708876&posted=1#post73708876

Cooking For One
    13th Jan 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi, newbie poster though long time lurker trying to adjust to being an empty-nester and due to some substantial changes income-wise in the next couple of months trying to cut my costs and adjust my shopping to mainly solo dining. I abhor waste so good that way and do cook from scratch/batch cook the vast majority of the time. I do "sort of" meal plan but it can be a bit hit or miss depending on my health is on any given day. I'm reliant on on-line shopping so can't take advanage of aldi/Lidl etc. What (if any) changes did you make when changing to a single-person household?
    Last edited by caronc; 13-01-2018 at 8:51 AM.
    GC - Jan18 £55/£120, Feb18 £63/£120
    GC YTD - £118/£240
Page 38
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Feb 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 12,405 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    All this talk of sausage rolls and chips has given me a craving for them, so I dug out some frozen uncooked sausage rolls from the freezer and had them with oven chips and baked beans for dinner. It's not something I have that often, so made a nice change .

I had what is becoming the usual cold weather breakfast of porridge this morning.

I had a mushroom omelette for lunch, there were some mushrooms left over from last weekend, so I thought I should use them up.

While I had the oven on I made some soda bread.

Farway - that lunch sounds lovely.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 20,780 Thanks
    caronc
    Good evening everyone,

Farway - lovely sounding lunch. I would definitely have needed a snooze after it

wort - I'd have been most disappointed if someone took me to a garden centre with no plants sounds like a nice day out though

All this talk of pies is really making wish I had one stashed in the freezer. I do have a lurking "mince round" in the freezer. But it serves 2-3 and really is best eaten freshly cooked. I think my son is coming up next weekend so might look it out for next Friday. Ditto sausage rolls, though in reality the last time I made a batch it took me most of the year to eat them. They are the sort of thing I like one of and the urge goes away for ages.

Looking at the sky I think the forecast for snow later might be right as there are lots of very low hanging, purple clouds and the temperature is dropping like a stone. Best plan for some comfort meals over the next few days I think to keep the chill out (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

My meal plan for this week is definitely going astray as I think instead of a lightish salmon meal I might make fish pie. The last time I made one I had surplus fish mix so there is enough there to make a 1 or 2 portion pie and I've plenty of spuds and milk for the sauce. I don't mind my plan going awol if I'm making things/using things up and not just going for the easiest bung it in the oven meal by default.

I'm just off to put on the filling for my giant YP, decision time- there are 5 stuffing balls do I use 2 or 3 of them. I suspect I know the answer......
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • kittie
    • By kittie 8th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 11,334 Posts
    • 69,526 Thanks
    kittie
    It`s the weather, I blame the weather for constantly wanting something to eat, not really hungry, just feeling that I want to eat. I did buy some salad stuff so tomorrow may well have a healthy salmon salad with bread and butter. I did really well until today when I called into the supermarket for a tank of petrol. That enticed me in and I was doomed, got some fruit and salad then wandered over to the yoghurt isle, got that and spied the thick cream. I didn`t want it, didn`t need it but I kept thinking that it would go so well with my pie, its amazing how these things can slide into a basket

Money, I make lovely teas using these papers
    http://www.adagiotea.co.uk/teaware/paper_filters.html?googleshopping=yes&gclid=Cj0KCQ iAh_DTBRCTARIsABlT9Ma5yLoUMP0K8R9SN2k0H77bdDQH3AQ-6aS6_qjM87DQm9ne_DmJC7AaArTmEALw_wcB

eg dried hibiscus flowers makes nice tea, also very good for health

I also use this a lot, wonderful design and easy to wash out. Plastic but will last a very long time
    http://www.adagiotea.co.uk/teaware/ingenuiTEA_teapot.html
    • caronc
    • By caronc 8th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 20,780 Thanks
    caronc
    Much as I love salad kittie, I really don't think I could eat it just now not unless it came with chips or a big baked potato with lots of butter. At the moment my tastebuds in the veg department are definitely wanting spicy or brassicas or root veg. (Or all three, steaming hot in a big bowl )
    I think the milder weather earlier has mucked up my internal central heating as despite the heating being up and the radiators toasty I'm still chilly. (That's with a vest, a top, a jumper and a thick cardi - I do hope I'm not heading foe the lurgy.) Mind you come the early hours it will no doubt be in sauna mode )
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 8th Feb 18, 8:47 PM
    • 14,848 Posts
    • 41,047 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Thanks - but I'm not quite sure what I'd do with paper tea filters??

I do have a herbal tea teapot (ie glass teapot with thingie in the middle to put bits in) and a mug with lid (ditto).

Re standard tea - I'm pretty sure I've still got a lidded teaspoon with holes in. Though could always buy a teapot per se and I have a mini strainer anyway. Not that very many people seem to want tea either these days. I'd say 95% of the time then (after I've explained available choices to people) they'll ask for a real coffee. So I duly had to get a large cafetiere - as well as the one mug size I had for myself anyway.
    NOT dancing to anyone else's tune.

It's the 21st century now....
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 8th Feb 18, 8:55 PM
    • 1,317 Posts
    • 12,405 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    It`s the weather, I blame the weather for constantly wanting something to eat, not really hungry, just feeling that I want to eat.
    Originally posted by kittie
    I'm blaming it on the weather as well. When there has been a prolonged cold spell I always seem to want something to eat, and like you, I'm not really hungry. I just end up eating comfort food.

As soon as the weather turns a bit warmer, I won't constantly want food. I will go back to my normal eating pattern.
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 7:29 AM
    • 14,848 Posts
    • 41,047 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I've been putting down feeling hungry at times between meals to my having changed my diet rather and told it's to be expected on this sort of diet and not a problem.

But quite a few of us are saying we're feeling hungrier on here. Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter - because, at one time, it served a purpose = giving people extra calories to burn during the colder part of the year? So, basically, something we no longer need in the 20th/21st century (with our warmer buildings) but Mother Nature has clung onto it anyway (much to the annoyance of those of us who don't like being influenced by factors that aren't logical and aren't under our control)?

EDIT; Just made another weeny discovery - re the trick that came up on here to thaw things from freezer quicker. I'm still having to buy my milk in plastic cartons at the moment - because it's organic and it's now become possible to buy non-organic milk in glass bottles again here. But we're still waiting for organic milk in glass bottles at the moment - no-one seems to have made a decision to do them yet in my immediate vicinity - grrr! So hoicked the milk (in plastic container - grr!) out of freezer yesterday evening to defrost and decided to put the container on metal (ie in metal saucepan). This morning found it's totally defrosted - rather than just a large part of the way towards it. So it works for defrosting stuff quicker - even if it's in a container.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-02-2018 at 7:34 AM.

• kittie
    • By kittie 9th Feb 18, 7:42 AM
    • 11,334 Posts
    • 69,526 Thanks
    kittie
    [QUOTE=moneyistooshorttomention;73853629]Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter QUOTE]

yes it is as is hibernating or getting more dozy in the day. I always go into hibernation indoors mode in winter. It does not do me any harm, come spring I can still ride my bike up hills, when I used to think I would be struggling after not using those muscles. I do though tend to do lots of stuff while standing as it is a mini form of exercise and I go upstairs when I need something, rather than putting it off. On sunny `warm` days then I go out and do a few things, bit of weeding, tidying etc. It is what animals do

paper tea filters: dried herbs/normal tea in pouch, put in mug, they are long so the top folds over the side. Use twice if herbs. Compost afterwards
    • kittie
    • By kittie 9th Feb 18, 7:51 AM
    • 11,334 Posts
    • 69,526 Thanks
    kittie
    gosh my meals are sorted for today, don`t have to think, had porridge and 4 soaked dried apricots first. Lunch will be that salad as I know the sun will be shining in here. Fruit pie and topping Last meal is just about defrosted in the fridge and this one will be the soup/casserole

New chocolate to imbibe today, vivani 85% from real foods. I bought a box and this will last me 2 1/2 months. I managed to avoid all their other lovely vivani temptations but I did buy oatcakes as it makes an energy sustaining snack with peanut butter
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 8:49 AM
    • 61,562 Posts
    • 360,551 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    A freezing start. First thing every morning what I do is open the windows/patio doors and give the room a good airing .... and then it's cold, but it does need doing daily.

Probably toasted bread crusts and baked beans for a warming breakfast.

Awaiting those shelves to arrive at the shop, so I can collect.... checked this morning and they're on their way, but not arrived.

http://www.homebargains.co.uk/products/7109-kis-4-tier-plus-shelf.aspx
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 8:50 AM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 20,780 Thanks
    caronc
    I've been putting down feeling hungry at times between meals to my having changed my diet rather and told it's to be expected on this sort of diet and not a problem.

But quite a few of us are saying we're feeling hungrier on here. Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter - because, at one time, it served a purpose = giving people extra calories to burn during the colder part of the year? So, basically, something we no longer need in the 20th/21st century (with our warmer buildings) but Mother Nature has clung onto it anyway (much to the annoyance of those of us who don't like being influenced by factors that aren't logical and aren't under our control)?

EDIT; Just made another weeny discovery - re the trick that came up on here to thaw things from freezer quicker. I'm still having to buy my milk in plastic cartons at the moment - because it's organic and it's now become possible to buy non-organic milk in glass bottles again here. But we're still waiting for organic milk in glass bottles at the moment - no-one seems to have made a decision to do them yet in my immediate vicinity - grrr! So hoicked the milk (in plastic container - grr!) out of freezer yesterday evening to defrost and decided to put the container on metal (ie in metal saucepan). This morning found it's totally defrosted - rather than just a large part of the way towards it. So it works for defrosting stuff quicker - even if it's in a container.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    [QUOTE=kittie;73853652]
    Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter QUOTE]

yes it is as is hibernating or getting more dozy in the day. I always go into hibernation indoors mode in winter. It does not do me any harm, come spring I can still ride my bike up hills, when I used to think I would be struggling after not using those muscles. I do though tend to do lots of stuff while standing as it is a mini form of exercise and I go upstairs when I need something, rather than putting it off. On sunny `warm` days then I go out and do a few things, bit of weeding, tidying etc. It is what animals do

paper tea filters: dried herbs/normal tea in pouch, put in mug, they are long so the top folds over the side. Use twice if herbs. Compost afterwards
    Yes I'm sure it's a legacy from when surviving the long dark days was difficult - carb craving as there would be little protein available and a general slowing down of the body to conserve fat reserves.
    I think in winter I'm definitely a product of my ancestors.

MTSTM - yes the "pop on metal" trick works for anything frozen. It's so handy.

No sun shining here but no snow either which is a plus. I'm hoping the cloud might lift a bit later but so far it's just wanting to give us sleety rain. Another day for lots of layers I think.

Foodwise I'm for a cheese & beetroot sarnie at lunch time and fish pie with green beans & cabbage tonight. That will use up the last of my savoy cabbage, so until my next shop my leafyveg will be need to be sprouts and or frozen spinach. As I have extra milk this week from m y Dad, I'm hoping not to get another shop until Weds/Thurs. I've lots of different veg and bread products in the freezer so it should work out ok.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 20,780 Thanks
    caronc
    A freezing start. First thing every morning what I do is open the windows/patio doors and give the room a good airing .... and then it's cold, but it does need doing daily.

Probably toasted bread crusts and baked beans for a warming breakfast.

Awaiting those shelves to arrive at the shop, so I can collect.... checked this morning and they're on their way, but not arrived.

Originally posted by PasturesNew
    These look really handy, I have a similiar set in my lean to for gardening stuff and they hold loads. Hope yours arrive soon.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 9th Feb 18, 8:58 AM
    • 14,848 Posts
    • 41,047 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    [QUOTE=kittie;73853652]
    Wonder whether it's some inbuilt primitive response that makes people feel hungrier in a winter QUOTE]

I think a fair number of people must - possibly in much of the country? I'm still getting my head around there being noticeably fewer people on the streets here sometimes in the winter....as I'm used to everyone "carrying on regardless" and that's what I expect of myself too. I think I'm very much a product of my home city - and some years spent living in hot climates as a child.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 09-02-2018 at 9:01 AM.

• PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 61,562 Posts
    • 360,551 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    These look really handy, I have a similiar set in my lean to for gardening stuff and they hold loads. Hope yours arrive soon.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I have something similar I bought from L1dl for the shed... but these specific ones state 20Kg on them and right now I can't walk into L1dl to see/check and buy more. I can't remember how much the L1dl ones were, possibly £16, these are £10 which is what tempted me to act irrationally and just buy them.

But ... for the shed ones, which I think are higher, I only ended up doing the bottom layers because adding the top layer made it too high to fit into the shed I hate it when that happens ... so I've got shelves ... and a bit left over, which is always a disappointment when you think something will solve a problem and just creates a new one (having to keep the leftover bits in case in the future I want that bit)
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 9:09 AM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 20,780 Thanks
    caronc
    I think mine originally came from IKEA many moons ago, they are not high about 5ft so fit just fine in my low lean to.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 61,562 Posts
    • 360,551 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I think mine originally came from IKEA many moons ago, they are not high about 5ft so fit just fine in my low lean to.
    Originally posted by caronc
    I originally wanted Ikea Albert shelves - and immediately bought two sets when I moved here.... but they need putting together (which is a pain in the butt) - and now can only be moved whole. They also have slatted shelving, which can cause things to not sit straight - and the shelves are just held in with small screws, so you run the risk of overloading, especially if your building skills weren't great.

These plastic ones come apart if I ever wish to move them, can be split down into two halves if I wish, in a trice, will enable stuff to sit squarely and not collapse due to relying on tiny screws. They're just more flexible and robust ...shame they're black but beggars/choosers and all that. I'm sure I could find a modular system, similar, in a sustainable wood material for £400-700 if I looked hard enough These were £10, available now and up the road.

I tend to favour furniture pieces I can manage alone, without tools. I have four side/occasional tables dotted around whose legs screw off, which is great for using them, putting them back, storing them and going up and down stairs with them. They take up little space until the next time I need one of them. e.g. I use one for Xmas.

Any item whatsoever that requires TWO people will simply never fit with my lifestyle as there are never two people here.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 09-02-2018 at 9:22 AM.
    • caronc
    • By caronc 9th Feb 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3,107 Posts
    • 20,780 Thanks
    caronc
    I originally wanted Ikea Albert shelves - and immediately bought two sets when I moved here.... but they need putting together (which is a pain in the butt) - and now can only be moved whole. They also have slatted shelving, which can cause things to not sit straight - and the shelves are just held in with small screws, so you run the risk of overloading, especially if your building skills weren't great.

These plastic ones come apart if I ever wish to move them, can be split down into two halves if I wish, in a trice, will enable stuff to sit squarely and not collapse due to relying on tiny screws. They're just more flexible and robust ...shame they're black but beggars/choosers and all that. I'm sure I could find a modular system, similar, in a sustainable wood material for £400-700 if I looked hard enough These were £10, available now and up the road.

I tend to favour furniture pieces I can manage alone, without tools. I have four side/occasional tables dotted around whose legs screw off, which is great for using them, putting them back, storing them and going up and down stairs with them. They take up little space until the next time I need one of them. e.g. I use one for Xmas.

Any item whatsoever that requires TWO people will simply never fit with my lifestyle as there are never two people here.
    Yes looking online I think my one is IKEA Albert one, my ex built it up. Modular is great , I have re-purposed old "mini greenhouse" plastic frames as staging in my greenhouse- so easy to put together and take apart when it is just you.
    GC YTD - £118/£240
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Feb 18, 10:28 AM
    • 2,695 Posts
    • 6,087 Thanks
    spirit

some click n collect's are really slow. Matalan were like that when I ordered something. Messaged them on Twatter to complain and hey presto, my order arrived in store.
    Last edited by spirit; 09-02-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 9th Feb 18, 10:42 AM
    • 61,562 Posts
    • 360,551 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I just distrust ordering things you can't see and have no control over. I like being able to walk into a shop, see it and walk out with it, which is why I started by seeing them online and driving to the store (2 miles), especially as that's my shop for "favourite chocolate biscuits" and "multipacks of loo rolls" and my shampoo, so it wasn't a wasted journey as I could get those other things.... except they didn't have the unit.

When you order online and have to register you're not sure what will happen, or what you're "signing up to". It was the 7th, the current status says they were despatched on 8th ... but now what. Will they take 3 days (site indicates 1-3 days) from the 8th?

Then, how will I know? I keep checking online in "my account" so that's handy it's there, but it's lacking in information. Certainly no "Bob is the driver and your order is currently circling the M25 ... expect it Tuesday morning".

So, let's assume the shelves arrive at the store.... will they go into the system, will there be an interruption and be put to one side/forgotten.... will a numpty accidentally put them in the shop and they get sold as stock ... will the correct ones have arrived ... when I open them will it all be there/undamaged.....

I hate all that "not knowing what the end outcome will be".
    • spirit
    • By spirit 9th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2,695 Posts
    • 6,087 Thanks
    spirit

So, let's assume the shelves arrive at the store.... will they go into the system, will there be an interruption and be put to one side/forgotten.... will a numpty accidentally put them in the shop and they get sold as stock ... will the correct ones have arrived ... when I open them will it all be there/undamaged.....

I hate all that "not knowing what the end outcome will be".

it's all computerised, a list will be printed off in store. They are packaged up as click n collect (same happens in a5da) so there's no way it'll be absorbed into normal store stock.
    Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,007Posts Today

8,824Users online

Martin's Twitter