Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 13th Jan 18, 6:11 AM
    • 1,233Posts
    • 11,347Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Saturday 13th January 2018
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:11 AM
    O/S Daily Saturday 13th January 2018 13th Jan 18 at 6:11 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
    Last edited by Hollyharvey; 13-01-2018 at 6:48 AM.
Page 2
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 13th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 18,184 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good afternoon everyone

I am wearing a few different 'hats' today, Steve has gone down with a nasty cold and has been up all night coughing, so I am wearing my nurse nightingale hat and looking after him, mainly keeping him supplied with cups of coffee and bacon sandwiches . I also wanted to cook today so I am wearing my chef's hat and have made a chicken korma from scratch, even grinding the spices and stuff and have just pulled a custard cream cheesecake out of my instant pot. I have washed and put away all our clothes and next I have to strip the bed and wash the sheets etc.

All of this is pure distraction therapy as I had a very distressing phone call from Becky last night. The hospital is going to definitely discharge her on Tuesday and she was sobbing saying she wasn't ready to come home yet. I feel so helpless, I have contacted the ward to tell them what she said but they just fobbed me off with the phrase "all children get anxious when it is time to leave the ward". I am not stupid, I get that she is very worried about not having the security of hospital but when my daughter is telling me that she will not be safe at home, my stress levels rocket. Anyway, I am going to wait until Monday and find out what care package they are going to offer her at home. I can't get to the big meeting on Tuesday but they will ring me afterwards to tell me the outcome.

I am going back into the germ ridden living room and get on with some knitting in a bit. I have ordered a pattern to make an orangutan bag and a baby orangutan to go in it so that will keep me busy as well.

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to and loads of hugs for the sad and poorly too xxx
    Weight Loss Challenge - 6lbs/20lbs
    January Grocery Challenge - £370/£400
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 18, 1:47 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 2,331 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good afternoon everyone,

Positive, healing & motivating vibes to one and all!

8:00 a.m. did last night’s washing up. I was exceedingly lazy yesterday - cooked twice but really did bu..er all else.
    9:00 a.m. Woke up DH with a smile & a coffee.
    10:00 a.m. Emptied, cleaned & sorted out very deep kitchen drawer. Two items relocated to their proper place, Ravioli Making Kit (still boxed) put in cs bag.
    11:00 a.m. Coffee + toast & jam - empty jar washed & recycled
    12:00 Finished menu plan for the next 7 days & completed shopping list for DH
    12:30 p.m. Another coffee & MSE OS threads reading & writing

The afternoon will be taken up with properly packing the 2 cs bags ready for delivery on Monday, dismantling the �� in which the new compost bin came (DH is currently putting it together), baking (DH has devoured all his biccies & cake).

Have a good day everyone.

MrsSD��
    • elona
    • By elona 13th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 11,396 Posts
    • 61,770 Thanks
    elona
    We all had a lovely birthday meal out last night and got home late.

Youngest dd, her bf and middle dd and her bf have all gone out for a walk and I will nip out for a few minutes to get ingredients for a home made lasagne for tonight.

Might get some ingredients for tomorrow's lunch as well as I don't know if older dd will arrive later to drive me to a bigger shop or not.

Just had a call from dd and she will get me a joint of beef and some veg for tomorrow and I can get salad and mince with garlic bread from the local shop.

Having a quick mug of soup as forgot to have lunch.

Hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 13th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 6,787 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon all
    Went to see a car today and bought it :eek:. We both liked it ( unusual ) and will pick it up on Monday, so have spent a few hours emptying and cleaning the old one. Didn't realise just how much stuff we had collected, but it needs sorting out before we put all the stuff back again :(.
    Anyway I have done 2 loads in the WM but will have to dry indoors again, because the weather is damp, dreary and it's getting darker by the minute. I have also emptied the DW and put in the breakfast dishes. Mr Fix It is pouring over car manuals and sourcing a new towbar, so he's a happy bunny :rotfl:.
    Tea tonight will be HM burgers found in the freezer, with a salad for me and oven chips for Mr Fix It.
    Nelski if you get a late mark, I'm due a suspension :D. Good luck with the phone training, hope it goes better than mine ;).
    Karcher Are you Ok ? Feel free to PM me if you need to talk.
    Dumpling hope you get things sorted for Becky and Steve gets well soon. This evening take off all your hats and relax, that's an order :D.
    I'm sending the Sandman again to the sleepless, healing vibes to the poorly and hugs all round to everyone. Take care all.
    Sorry I seem to have lost all the smilies again.
    Last edited by nannywindow; 13-01-2018 at 3:06 PM. Reason: Smilies
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 2,331 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Good afternoon everyone,

Positive, healing & motivating vibes to one and all!

8:00 a.m. did last night’s washing up. I was exceedingly lazy yesterday - cooked twice but really did bu..er all else.
    9:00 a.m. Woke up DH with a smile & a coffee.
    10:00 a.m. Emptied, cleaned & sorted out very deep kitchen drawer. Two items relocated to their proper place, Ravioli Making Kit (still boxed) put in cs bag.
    11:00 a.m. Coffee + toast & jam - empty jar washed & recycled
    12:00 Finished menu plan for the next 7 days & completed shopping list for DH
    12:30 p.m. Another coffee & MSE OS threads reading & writing

The afternoon will be taken up with properly packing the 2 cs bags ready for delivery on Monday, dismantling the �� in which the new compost bin came (DH is currently putting it together), baking (DH has devoured all his biccies & cake).

Have a good day everyone.

MrsSD��
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    NannyWindow, I appear to have lost all my smilies as well!

Have packed the cs bags, dismantled the cardboard box & put the bits out in the recycling bin & am just sending DH to sm. While he is out I will use my last egg to bake him some coconut cookies.

MrsSD
    • Floss
    • By Floss 13th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 4,185 Posts
    • 35,709 Thanks
    Floss
    Dumpling is there an advocate who will be at Becky's meeting for her if you cannot be there?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 15,444 Posts
    • 129,871 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums, I have been out this afternoon with a friend of mine at a library 'meet the author', never did get the name of him, though but the premise was a read aloud group where you read passages of stuff to the person next to you, very odd, but quite entertaining, and free coffee and posh biscuits were offered.

It took my mind off of other things.I think he was an Italian chap, but his accent was quite thick so I can't be sure. Our local libraries in the Medway area do have quite a few thing on and seem to be inundated with authors willing to chat about books.On the 22nd January we have Gerald Seymour doing a talk about his books.

Tonights dinner from the freezer is out and defrosted and I shall put it in the remoska shortly, then its feet up and a bit of knitting and some catch-up TV. Really don't fancy doing much else at the moment

Margaret stayed at her DDs last night and slept for 9 hours ,the longest she has slept since November bless her, she is exhausted poor love.

We shall here after the weekend when the funeral is.

Thanks again chums for all your kind thoughts

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 13th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 15,620 Posts
    • 65,431 Thanks
    Judi
    Dumpling is there an advocate who will be at Becky's meeting for her if you cannot be there?
    Originally posted by Floss
    What Floss said.

I know it sounds extreme but could you refuse to have her come back home? If she doesnt want to come home surely you can come up with a million reasons why you cant have her back....its just a thought...Changing the subject slightly, i hope Steve is better soon.

Shopping bought and put away. I'm leaving Grump to feast on junk tv. Im off to bed to rot.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 13th Jan 18, 5:02 PM
    • 260 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    silver-oldie

Judi.... I have no help with OH, manage on my own. His son rarely calls and to be honest he is too involved with his latest lady friend.
    Originally posted by csarina2
    What a selfish pig of a man your OH has of a Son Has he never heard the phrase 'many hands make light work?' Thank goodness you have a little help from the people closest to you though you could do with more....Still, physical help we cant give you but online support we can give you by the bucket loads here on this thread.

Many hugs.
    Originally posted by Judi
    It must be a DS thing. I manage life with DH on my own. Things aren't too bad at the moment but I do have be with him 24/7. I don't have any friends, so it can get lonely.
    Thank you for all the support here.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 6,036 Posts
    • 36,483 Thanks
    Gers
    Evening all.

My morning shopping was brief and productive, although W aitrose seem to have a supply chain problem. Some shelves bare, tons of stuff with YS and three items my DM wanted not in stock! DM wasn't too pleased.

My drive home was really pleasant until the rain arrived. There's lots of low lying cloud or mist around too.

I bought some chicken thighs, forgot sultanas and tin foil, again! They mustn't be important if I keep on forgetting them.

The bird feeders have been filled, lard left out for them as well as some soaked raisins and pieces of apple. It's almost like having children.

My work email inbox was full - students realising that they only have two weeks left and panicking about work not done. Even though I replied to some saying 'I'm away until Saturday' two replied 'but I need to know now'. Pity they didn't pay attention at the time... I don't normally take work with me to DM's as it's her time. It's amazing that they think their schedule is more important than mine.

As I got home so late I haven't bothered to light the woodburner. I'll go to bed shortly, put on the electric blanket and watch TV from there.

My thoughts are with those having a tough time. As someone else said (who?) we can't offer any practical support only virtual support, hope it all helps.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 2,331 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    NannyWindow, I appear to have lost all my smilies as well!

Have packed the cs bags, dismantled the cardboard box & put the bits out in the recycling bin & am just sending DH to sm. While he is out I will use my last egg to bake him some coconut cookies.

MrsSD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Coconut biccies baked. DH back from sm & all groceries put away & food lists updated.

MrsSD
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 13th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 2,331 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Evening all.

The bird feeders have been filled, lard left out for them as well as some soaked raisins and pieces of apple. It's almost like having children.

My work email inbox was full - students realising that they only have two weeks left and panicking about work not done. Even though I replied to some saying 'I'm away until Saturday' two replied 'but I need to know now'. Pity they didn't pay attention at the time... I don't normally take work with me to DM's as it's her time. It's amazing that they think their schedule is more important than mine.

My thoughts are with those having a tough time. As someone else said (who?) we can't offer any practical support only virtual support, hope it all helps.
    Originally posted by Gers
    Gers, I quite agree! We feed the birds & also the squirrels. The squirrels are sooo entertaining - chase each around the garden & tease the local cats. I don’t think they cost quite as much as having children + you don’t have to have them in the house & you can ignore them

They are young & thoughtless!!

I also hope that virtual support helps in some small way.

‘See’ you all tomorrow.

MrsSD
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 13th Jan 18, 6:58 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 17,461 Thanks
    csarina2
    At last OH seems to be pulling out of his attack of vertigo, he slept all morning but got up after lunch, apart from a brief lie down with a slight dizzy he is still up. He had his turkey fricassee with rice and mixed veg and a yogurt for supper. He is watching Pointless, once its finished he will go in the shower and then to bed. Fingers crossed he is ok tomorrow.......
    • Gers
    • By Gers 13th Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 6,036 Posts
    • 36,483 Thanks
    Gers
    I’ve only got elusive and barely seen red squirrels. I don’t know if it’s one or more than one, it / they were obvious in 2016 but now come and go largely unseen. Just left over empty hazelnut shells or the absence of hazelnuts, mostly delightful.

There’s also at least one woodpecker amongst the hordes of blue tits, great tits, chaffinches etc. I feel guilty if the seeders or water dish is empty.

No washing, cooking or checking of homework though.
    • dp1
    • By dp1 13th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 227 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    dp1
    Hi everyone
    So sorry to hear about Frank - he sounds like a lovely old man.
    My dad goes for his cataract operation on Monday - fingers crossed it's a success as he is so excited at the thought of being able to see again. He says all he can see is grey shapes. He's very curious to find out what his carers look like as he has never seen any of them properly, though could come out with some inappropriate comments!
    Have youngest DD signed off work with suspected glandular fever. Also thought there could be a problem with her spleen yesterday as she was, and still is, in a lot of pain. Two ambulances were called but the paramedics decided that she was best resting at home. I know how awful glandular fever is, as I had it when I was 18 and my eldest DD did too. She has managed to eat a little bit today, mainly jelly as her throat is so sore.
    In between being nurse....she keeps summoning me by text as she can hardly speak....I've cleaned, washed, ironed, sorted shopping ...usual Saturday really. I did manage to get some washing almost dry outside so that was good.
    Just going to get washed up and then see what I have recorded.
    • elona
    • By elona 13th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 11,396 Posts
    • 61,770 Thanks
    elona
    csarina

I am glad DH seems a bit better today. Dumpling, could you get an mp involved?

Lasagne, garlic bread and salad was enjoyed and dishwasher is on with the leftovers cooling in containers to be put in fridge or frozen.

I only have three family staying over tonight and there will be seven of us for lunch tomorrow. Roast beef, roast potatoes and yorkies with lots of veg planned and once everyone has gone I will be in a recliner with my feet up

JackieO

I am glad Margaret had a good sleep as she must have been beyond exhausted.

silver-oldie

You have virtual friends on here pet. Is there a carer's support group group that could help? An elderly family friend found that her son would pop round for half an hour every day so she could get out in the fresh air and have a cup of tea in a nearby cafe and just switch off for a few minutes. She was lucky that all her sons lived nearby and would pop in to help out a bit.

Hugs to all.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,811Posts Today

9,250Users online

Martin's Twitter