Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • slipsmckenzie
    • By slipsmckenzie 13th Jan 18, 4:19 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    slipsmckenzie
    Expat Pension/Investing help
    • 13th Jan 18, 4:19 AM
    Expat Pension/Investing help 13th Jan 18 at 4:19 AM
    Hi MSExperts!

I am a UK citizen living overseas, and have been for almost 10 years. Having my finances/life in order, its now time to start planning for retirement (I'm currently 30). I live in China, and investing here is not an option.

There are a couple of things I would to achieve -
    • Set up an investment portfolio - index funds and ETFs - relatively hands off and put money in it every month to passively invest over the next 20/30/40 or so years for retirement (wherever and whenever that may be)
    • Private Pension - also to plan for retirement. My work does not currently pay a pension.
    Are the two different, or can the index funds essentially be the pension? There seems to be no benefit to having a private pension overseas (no tax benefits and no employer contribution) so would the passive portfolio be the best option here?

Secondly, being an expat its my understanding that I can't take advantage of ISA's, SIPPs etc. So would I have to set up an investment portfolio in an offshore account (thinking internaxx)?

Edit: I have started voluntary NI contributions.

If anyone has advice or experience of this that would be great. There seems to be a lot of 'financial consultants' getting in touch recently who want to 'help' me invest, but would prefer not to go down this path!

Thanks
    Last edited by slipsmckenzie; 13-01-2018 at 4:46 AM. Reason: added NI info
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 13th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 24,011 Posts
    • 14,025 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:40 PM
    Don't accept "cold calls".

Obtain expert, independent advice.

You can research on the net. Example

https://harrisonbrook.co.uk/expat-financial-advice-china/
    • bostonerimus
    • By bostonerimus 13th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 1,405 Posts
    • 821 Thanks
    bostonerimus
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    Well done setting up the Voluntary NI, its a good move. I did that 30 years ago and I'm so glad that I did.
    One company that seems pretty legit is "The Fry Group". I talked to them a long time ago, but realized that being in the US they couldn't offer me much, but China might be different.
    Misanthrope in search of similar for mutual loathing
    • slipsmckenzie
    • By slipsmckenzie 14th Jan 18, 12:45 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    slipsmckenzie
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:45 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 12:45 AM
    Thank you for your answers. I will speak to an independent advisor about my options.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

2,210Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin