Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sadders
    • By sadders 12th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 5Thanks
    sadders
    Dismissed on the grounds of redundancy
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    Dismissed on the grounds of redundancy 12th Jan 18 at 8:59 PM
    I work for the NHS and my position is being made redundant. I have been offered suitable alternative employment which I turned down for versions reasons that I outlined in my formal refusal.

Before I refused I asked for a meeting without predudice. I had two, the first with a senior manager and then with her superior. I was essentially told that they felt the offer was suitable and if I refused it I would be making myself unemployed. There would be no offer of redundancy.

I have just had a formal letter to invite me to a formal notice of redundancy meeting.

In the letter was the following sentence:

Regrettably, I must advise you that the outcome of this meeting is likely to be that you will be issued with formal notice of your dismissal on the grounds of redundancy.

What exactly does this mean? Will there be a formal redundancy with payment or am I just losing my job?

With thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 13th Jan 18, 8:13 PM
    • 4,410 Posts
    • 7,345 Thanks
    sangie595
    I do understand this which is why I stated that I know that I won’t get any compensation.

I am surprised there isn’t more protection.

Because some are in a worse position doesn’t mean that I shouldn’t feel agrieved about my situation. Race to the bottom?

I don’t feel the role offered is suitable as it will require me to throw away 23 years of training and experience and start retraining from scratch. Essentially !!!!!!s up my career. This is of more value to me than the pay protection. I know that the law doesn’t seem to rate this as a factor.

I intended to continue my career in this department possibly to retirement. I love(d) the people and the place so this does hurt a lot.

The new job I applied for was only after the offer of alternative employment was made. Would prefer a pay loss to throwing away my knowledge and experience.

Despite apparently having no legal rights in this I do have every right to feel royaly f’d off about it.
    Originally posted by sadders
    You may well do. But it is not about a "race to the bottom" as you put it. It is about the fact that you have, as is your right, exercised your right to make choices. But redundancy pay is not a leaving gift. It is intended to compensate people for having no choices. You had choices. You used them. You can't have everything. You could have taken the alternative, which gave you three whole years to find a better job, in the right area, and do what you wanted. You choose not to take that. So you chose to take another job at lower pay. These were all your choices, but you seem to blame everyone and everything else for them. You had a lot of "legal" rights - better than most people do - and you chose to go another route. That's great. But don't blame others. The right to retain your pay and conditions for three years whilst learning new skills and extending your professional expertise is hardly to be sniffed at. The fact you don't see it that way is perhaps the problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,084Posts Today

10,050Users online

Martin's Twitter