Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnc104
    • By Johnc104 12th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Johnc104
    Mortgage with partner on benefits
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    Mortgage with partner on benefits 12th Jan 18 at 8:08 PM
    Hi guys hope you can help

Im currently looking to buy a house (first time buyer) with my partner. I am in full time employment but she is on benefits and with some debts to her name. We are working through clearing those to help her credit score. Mine is is good shape. So my question is would we be able to get a mortgage together with her benefits as the income? Or would it be based solely on mine?
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 32,619 Posts
    • 17,560 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:21 PM
    Possibly.

Get broker assistance.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • whattodo7
    • By whattodo7 12th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    whattodo7
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    Highly unlikely a mortgage lender would take into account benefits as an income. I'd say there is no chance of that happening.
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 12th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 32,619 Posts
    • 17,560 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    Highly unlikely a mortgage lender would take into account benefits as an income. I'd say there is no chance of that happening.
    Originally posted by whattodo7
    They do. I wouldn't.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 16th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    Hi guys hope you can help

Im currently looking to buy a house (first time buyer) with my partner. I am in full time employment but she is on benefits and with some debts to her name. We are working through clearing those to help her credit score. Mine is is good shape. So my question is would we be able to get a mortgage together with her benefits as the income? Or would it be based solely on mine?
    Originally posted by Johnc104
    Which benefits is she claiming?

Does the DWP know that you are living together?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,452Posts Today

8,312Users online

Martin's Twitter