Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soooophie
    • By soooophie 12th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    soooophie
    How should I pay for repairs when settling minor car accident privately?
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    How should I pay for repairs when settling minor car accident privately? 12th Jan 18 at 7:51 PM
    I recently scrapped the car of a fellow employee which resulted in a small dent and scratch to her bumper. We agreed to settle privately and she has got an estimate for repairs which came to £160. She wants the money in hand but is it better to do a bank transfer or write a cheque to the company doing repairs so that I have a record of money exchanging hands. Should I get her to sign a written agreement too?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 12th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 34,027 Posts
    • 17,961 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:07 PM
    You have come up with the problems of doing things outside insurance

You cannot force the other party to sign anything (though you can try)

You are in their hands should you pay up and they discover more damage etc.
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 13th Jan 18, 6:49 AM
    • 2,900 Posts
    • 2,403 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:49 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 6:49 AM
    If you trust her then it doesn't really matter how you pay our what she signs.

If you don't trust her then you shouldn't be trying to settle privately with her.
    • Jocelyn-:-)
    • By Jocelyn-:-) 14th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jocelyn-:-)
    • 14th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 7:55 AM
    I would always do an agreement stating that she would not claim on your insurance after the payout, otherwise if she does, you lose the £160 and increase in insurance premium - for me this is essential. My relative has done this before, but it had never happened to me.

I would prefer doing it through bank transfer (and surely how would it matter to her, she can withdraw it right away).
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 14th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 2,568 Thanks
    csgohan4
    • 14th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    I would go through insurance, because nothing stopping them claiming anyways and your 160 is gone
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • ashleypride
    • By ashleypride 14th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 609 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    ashleypride
    • 14th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    You have to declare it to your insurance anyway so there is no point paying directly.

Phone up your insurance company, tell them what happened, and that you want to pay for it. Your insurance company will then call the 3rd party, and sort that out, then you can reimburse your insurance company.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 14th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 978 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 14th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    If you know them well then just give them the £160, but if you don't then ask them to sign a 'full and final settlement' receipt for the cash.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,806Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter