Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 12th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 249Posts
    • 4,955Thanks
    YorksLass
    Thread gone AWOL
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    Thread gone AWOL 12th Jan 18 at 6:49 PM
    Where has the Love Food Hate Waste thread started last year by the lovely JackieO gone? I can't find it anywhere. Or am I missing something?

And I'm sure my post count has gone down too!
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

2018 - Jan £53.34/£140 10/28 NSDs
    2017 - £144.10
Page 1
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 12th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:59 PM
    Oh no! That's a brilliant thread and it would be awful to lose it. I think the people that run the technical side of this site really need to address this problem. It's not fit for purpose if threads just keep disappearing. I know they've said previously that threads get deleted if to many spam reports are made against them but they're going to need to find some way of reversing that.

Are you listening techie people??
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 12th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    Callie22
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    Oh no! That's a brilliant thread and it would be awful to lose it. I think the people that run the technical side of this site really need to address this problem. It's not fit for purpose if threads just keep disappearing. I know they've said previously that threads get deleted if to many spam reports are made against them but they're going to need to find some way of reversing that.

Are you listening techie people??
    Originally posted by Ginmonster
    If that's the case then the 'spam' button needs to be moved. It's way too easy to hit it by accident when scrolling through a thread and I'd imagine that a good proportion of the reports are accidental. If too many reports means a thread gets deleted with no hope of return than that puts pretty much all of the long threads at risk, many of which have a huge amount of great information in them. So, either move the button or make reporting spam a two stage process - for example the reporter has to type in a short explanation of their reason for reporting a post as spam before it's accepted. That would get rid of the accidental reports immediately.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 12th Jan 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 28,571 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    I posted on it this morning - it's definitely gone. That's the second in a week.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 15,626 Posts
    • 39,414 Thanks
    elsien
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:05 PM
    Did it get too long? You could always post any comments in the site feedback bit of the forum.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 19,181 Thanks
    JIL
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    Another thread gone, I really think as many posters as possible need to bring this to the attention of the relevant people on the site feedback.

This is an old style helpful site, it's such a shame that so many helpful threads get deleted.

It also following a pattern it's never just one thread that disappears, it's always at least two. Then nothing for a while and then it happens again.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 12th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 28,571 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    I've just emailed forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

I've mentioned both missing threads JIL
    Last edited by CRANKY40; 12-01-2018 at 10:31 PM.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 12th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 2,787 Posts
    • 19,181 Thanks
    JIL
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:23 PM
    Thanks, I have posted on the site feedback and also on the disappearing threads and the like on this board.

Such a shame to lose them.
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 13th Jan 18, 12:21 AM
    • 7,462 Posts
    • 362,059 Thanks
    purplevamp
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:21 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 12:21 AM
    I thought I was going mad!! I love that thread. Hope it comes back
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £131,000.00 Feb 2038
    MFW #84 £0.00/£2,500

Swagbucks ~ £10 (2017 ~ £335)
    Surveys ~ £30.30 (2017 ~ £292.30)
    PTC, etc ~ $13.58 (2017 ~ $342.32)

“I Love You" "I Know"

Money's money my little honey! A rich man's jokes are always funny
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 13th Jan 18, 6:47 AM
    • 14,589 Posts
    • 40,002 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    The last time threads went missing I seem to recall there had been a bad bout of spam attacks.

We are certainly getting spam attacks again. Every morning for the last few days I've turned on of a morning and thought "There's been an overnight spammer by the look of it".

I am guessing MSE "ramp up the volume" so to say of whatever they are doing against these attacks and it accidentally "catches" threads we want to keep at the same time.

So we all complain - and MSE does another bit of tweaking and it stops until the next bout of spamming. Rinse and repeat.

That's my guess fwiw.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 18,671 Posts
    • 49,065 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I've commented on this thread which gave a link to JackieO's fabulously informative and inspirational thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5772660

and I've pmd MSE Sarah to tell her the link is currently invalid, although I don't hold out much hope for reinstatement.
    • Islandmaid
    • By Islandmaid 13th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2,284 Posts
    • 34,885 Thanks
    Islandmaid
    Hope they find it - great thread..

It’s almost like someone is intentionally sabotaging threads, weird that it never used to happen, then just started..... I hope as am wrong BTW

These threads are so useful x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

January GC £250.00/157.00
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 13th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 3,214 Posts
    • 29,386 Thanks
    maddiemay
    The last time threads went missing I seem to recall there had been a bad bout of spam attacks.

We are certainly getting spam attacks again. Every morning for the last few days I've turned on of a morning and thought "There's been an overnight spammer by the look of it".

I am guessing MSE "ramp up the volume" so to say of whatever they are doing against these attacks and it accidentally "catches" threads we want to keep at the same time.

So we all complain - and MSE does another bit of tweaking and it stops until the next bout of spamming. Rinse and repeat.

That's my guess fwiw.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Thank you for this, I had not appreciated the bigger picture with regard to spam attacks, now that I am not in the world of work a lot of such things do rather pass over my head, even if I try not to become too insular
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 18,671 Posts
    • 49,065 Thanks
    Pollycat
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5680765
    I think this ^^^^ thread was kicked off by the 'auto-deletion' of the original 'what are you having for dinner' thread. Our 2nd one has just gone AWOL too.

There's some comments about other long-running, many-post threads.

And this - which explains why the thread has been deleted and also that it can't be reinstated:
    Hi everyone!

Firstly a huge thanks to zippychick for flagging the disappearing threads up to us

Secondly, don't worry, there isn't a technical reason for these long running threads being removed.

Simply put, the "spam button" was clicked on them enough times that they were automatically deleted.

In the two instances we're aware of we believe this was just down to forum members accidentally clicking the button. These things do happen sadly.

As zippychick explained, we very sadly can't reinstate the threads but it's best to look on the bright side - often a shiny brand new thread can give us a fresh start and help our motivation.

Thanks for your patience with this everyone, it really is appreciated.

Andrea
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    Where has the Love Food Hate Waste thread started last year by the lovely JackieO gone? I can't find it anywhere. Or am I missing something?

And I'm sure my post count has gone down too!
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    Yes, your post count will have gone down as the thread that you made a lot of posts on has been deleted. It's as though you never posted.
    • YorksLass
    • By YorksLass 13th Jan 18, 3:11 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 4,955 Thanks
    YorksLass
    If that's the case then the 'spam' button needs to be moved. It's way too easy to hit it by accident when scrolling through a thread and I'd imagine that a good proportion of the reports are accidental. If too many reports means a thread gets deleted with no hope of return than that puts pretty much all of the long threads at risk, many of which have a huge amount of great information in them. So, either move the button or make reporting spam a two stage process - for example the reporter has to type in a short explanation of their reason for reporting a post as spam before it's accepted. That would get rid of the accidental reports immediately.
    Originally posted by Callie22
    I know you can "un-report" if you press the Spam button by accident but not everyone may realise that so agree with your suggestion. On the bright side, Jackie has kindly started another thread for us all, link below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774545
    Be kind to others and to yourself too. Life has its ups and downs, use the ups to overcome the downs!

2018 - Jan £53.34/£140 10/28 NSDs
    2017 - £144.10
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 15,435 Posts
    • 129,742 Thanks
    JackieO
    Onwards and upwards chums we will rise as the phoenix from the ashes of the old one please join in when you can

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Callie22
    • By Callie22 13th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    Callie22
    I know you can "un-report" if you press the Spam button by accident but not everyone may realise that so agree with your suggestion. On the bright side, Jackie has kindly started another thread for us all, link below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774545
    Originally posted by YorksLass
    The Spam and Thanks buttons need switching round. Far better to give an accidental thanks than an accidental report of spam
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 15th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 8,876 Posts
    • 21,278 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi everyone, thanks for the feedback.

Yes, having checked who clicked the spam button these do seem entirely accidental.

I just wanted to post here to let you know we are aware and are taking action.

Thank you everyone!
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,166Posts Today

9,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin