Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Colinloc
    • By Colinloc 12th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Colinloc
    'Old' versus 'New' ESA
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    'Old' versus 'New' ESA 12th Jan 18 at 5:38 PM
    Hi,

I read somewhere that the Gov't is changing ESA and that it may be available to those who can't get Universal Credit.

Will existing ESA (Support Group) claimants have to change and/or re-apply for 'new' ESA?

I am concerned not just with the ordeal of reapplying (I renewed it last year) but also my Councils says that Universal Credit for Housing Benefit will be rolled out this year to new claimants and "those whose circumstances change".

Will I have to apply for 'new' ESA as an existing claimant? I'm concerned this would be a change of circumstances per the Council and UC/Housing Benefit. Otherwise I'm good for another year and hope to be back at work before then.

Thanks for your help.
Page 1
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 12th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    New ESA is just what was contribution based ESA as Universal credit is only income based benefits, including Income based (means tested) ESA.

If you are on income based ESA presently you will be at some point migrated over to Universal Credit.
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Colinloc
    • By Colinloc 13th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colinloc
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:24 AM
    Thanks. I started with contribution based ESA and have remained on it for a few years because I am in the Support Group.

I'm concerned whether my transfer to new ESA will be 'automatic' of if I will need to reapply. If reapplying counts as a change of circumstances then my Housing Benefit will transfer to UC this year rather than 2019.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 13th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    epitome
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    If you are on ESA Conts...there will be no transfer to Uni credit and no transfer to ESA New Style.

Or if there is eventually a transfer to ESA New style it will be seamless and you won't notice any difference.

ESA Conts Support Group is £219.30 a fortnight...is this what you get?

Why are you only on Conts? Is it because:

You have savings over £16,000
    You have a partner who is working full time?
    You have partner who is claiming Income Based benefit?
    • sammyjammy
    • By sammyjammy 13th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 4,587 Thanks
    sammyjammy
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    Can you answer Epitome's questions? You first post implies you might be claiming housing benefit?
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
    • Colinloc
    • By Colinloc 13th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colinloc
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:08 PM
    Thanks epitome, you've answered my question. My ESA is contribution based because it was for the first year because I had sufficient contributions and has stayed contribution based because I am in the Support Group. My benefit is more than the figure you mention. I have a Brain Tumour.

Sammyjammie - the position with my HB claim is at the nub of my question. In my second post I wrote "If reapplying counts as a change of circumstances then my Housing Benefit will transfer to UC". Thanks
    • epitome
    • By epitome 13th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    epitome
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:49 PM
    If you have more than £219.30 a fortnight,...(you probably have £251.10 ....) anyway, if you have more than £219.30 then you are not on ESA Conts but you are on ESA Income Related, but within your ESA award of £125.55 is an award of ESA Conts £109.65

So you have 109.65 conts plus IR top up of £15.90 and the whole thing is called an Income Related award.

In this case, if you have a change of circumstances ... you may be compelled to claim UC if you want to have all the benefits you are entitled to..... or you can choose not to claim any UC and just be left with ESA Conts £109 per week
    or
    You may eventually be migrated on to UC....and again you will keep your ESA Conts at £109 per week plus whtever you get on UC.

In the Support Group it is possible to end up better off on UC.

Also when you get onto UC you will remain in the same group but you will be referred for a new medical assessment.
    • Colinloc
    • By Colinloc 14th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Colinloc
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    Thanks again epitome. One last question if I may ... Do you sense that any migration to New ESA will happen any time soon for existing claimants?

The DWP did once tell me my ESA was income related but other info I had contradicted this, including still receiving an Xmas bonus from Her Maj!
    • epitome
    • By epitome 14th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 3,089 Posts
    • 1,871 Thanks
    epitome
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 14th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    "new ESA" is ESA Conts, they are exactly the same and you are already on that (included within your award of ESA IR)
    My sense is, as they are exactly the same, there will never be any migration between the 2.

If you meant a migration of your ESA IR to UC then my sense tells me it will be done over the next 20 years and it will start in about 3 - 5 years.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

25Posts Today

4,937Users online

Martin's Twitter