Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ravmantoo
    • By Ravmantoo 12th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Ravmantoo
    Agos Encourages Bad Publicity
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    Agos Encourages Bad Publicity 12th Jan 18 at 3:28 PM
    It appears Argos has a problem with their attitude to goodwill and good publicity, both of which are very important in todays social media world. Ten years ago if you upset a customer they might tell 50 people, today its nearer 50 thousand, due to Facebook, Twitter and a host of interest forums as well. We've all seen the posts 'I bought a thing from Argos and it was broken and they wont replace it', reply is along the lines 'what do you expect from Argos!' .If you supply a lot of product some defective will get through, you just have to monitor the suppliers and sift out the poor whilst you respond well to the complainant. Senior management there should make sure the message gets through that loosing a sale hits twice as your competitor gets it and once a shopper is lost they often don't come back. So when one of their drivers hits a parked car outside the delivery address and looks at the damage you would hope they admit it then and there, but no. When Argos Incident Management then tell the victim, even after having the consignment details and knowing there are witnesses, that it was a DHL lorry you can understand the victims attitude to the company. They should have checked which lorry and driver and got the depot to check the lorry for damage and admitted their liability. But no, after nearly two month of chasing Argos's insurers the victim is told the driver denies It ever happened. That's Argos for you.
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 12th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 17,669 Posts
    • 11,935 Thanks
    molerat
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    What has a DHL truck hitting someone's car got to do with Argos. It is like saying the postie stomped on one of my flowers whilst delivering a letter from my bank so I will sue the bank !
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 12th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 2,113 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    It appears Argos has a problem with their attitude to goodwill and good publicity, both of which are very important in todays social media world. Ten years ago if you upset a customer they might tell 50 people, today its nearer 50 thousand, due to Facebook, Twitter and a host of interest forums as well. We've all seen the posts 'I bought a thing from Argos and it was broken and they wont replace it', reply is along the lines 'what do you expect from Argos!' .If you supply a lot of product some defective will get through, you just have to monitor the suppliers and sift out the poor whilst you respond well to the complainant. Senior management there should make sure the message gets through that loosing a sale hits twice as your competitor gets it and once a shopper is lost they often don't come back. So when one of their drivers hits a parked car outside the delivery address and looks at the damage you would hope they admit it then and there, but no. When Argos Incident Management then tell the victim, even after having the consignment details and knowing there are witnesses, that it was a DHL lorry you can understand the victims attitude to the company. They should have checked which lorry and driver and got the depot to check the lorry for damage and admitted their liability. But no, after nearly two month of chasing Argos's insurers the victim is told the driver denies It ever happened. That's Argos for you.
    Originally posted by Ravmantoo
    You have an over-inflated ego if you think that rambling nonsense will lose Argos fifty customers, let alone 50,000.

Not everyone lives on, and for, Facebook.

You rammed your car in to a neighbour's parked vehicle, blame it on DHL and expect Argos to pay for the damage?

Perhaps I've misunderstood. That's why happens when you post a wall of rambling text.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 12th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 2,632 Posts
    • 18,427 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:31 PM
    I 'think' that the OP means Argos blamed it on a DHL lorry rather than one of their own. But as pointed out it's a mostly nonsensical ramble so it's hard to make out.

OP, as for not admitting blame, it's a standard response which most insurance companies advise to do.

How do you know they didn't 'check the lorry for damage'? They may well have done and after finding none, dismissed your claim.

You say you have witnesses to the accident? Well then take Argos to court.

• vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 12th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 13,057 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    DHL run the delivery fleet for Argos. That's what the OP is getting at. It may be an Argos liveried lorry but it is owned (leased), operated and insured by DHL.
    The man without a signature.
    • vikingaero
    • By vikingaero 12th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 13,057 Thanks
    vikingaero
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    If you have proof of the damage and witness(es) then make a claim against DHL. Most DHL drivers are agency drivers and the driver will do his best to worm his way out of it as they are normally quite strict on vehicle damage and will drop agency drivers at the drop of a hat.

Most consumers don't realise that delivery and warehousing isn't run by the company you buy from and firms like DHL will be paid millions to run it for that company.
    The man without a signature.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 12th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 5,416 Thanks
    societys child
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    Snowflakes live on social media, the rest of the world have real lives . .

• marlot
    • By marlot 12th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    marlot
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:20 PM
    You're aware that DHL operate some/all of Argos' logisitics?

eg. https://www.logisticsmanager.com/dhl-to-move-argos-and-habitat-operations/
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 12th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:12 PM
    So because someone might post on Facebook they should pander to them?
    • Ravmantoo
    • By Ravmantoo 12th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Ravmantoo
    Interesting responses, the lorry was in Argos livery and DHL tell me they do not run lorries in others liveries hence going to Argos as they are responsible for their subcontractors anyway. It appears from most of the above comments that its now acceptable to cause damage and get away with it. That's not what the Road Traffic Act states. Hope this is not too long and rambling for some.
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 12th Jan 18, 9:24 PM
    • 15,356 Posts
    • 21,901 Thanks
    antrobus
    Interesting responses, the lorry was in Argos livery and DHL tell me they do not run lorries in others liveries......

We can confirm that an Argos vehicle, driven by a DHL driver, was involved in a fatal collision with a motorcyclist this morning on the A134 in Sudbury,” he said last night.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/motorcyclist-dies-at-the-scene-of-sudbury-collision-with-argos-lorry-1-4688753

2.2 milliseconds on Google.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 12th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 9,679 Posts
    • 10,871 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    We can confirm that an Argos vehicle, driven by a DHL driver, was involved in a fatal collision with a motorcyclist this morning on the A134 in Sudbury,” he said last night.

http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/motorcyclist-dies-at-the-scene-of-sudbury-collision-with-argos-lorry-1-4688753

2.2 milliseconds on Google.
    Originally posted by antrobus
    The only reason you found that so quickly is because you work for Argos and must have had insider knowledge about the accident!

(Just thought I'd get that in before someone else states something similar)
    • cool-dog
    • By cool-dog 13th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 125 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    cool-dog
    Societies child - you do realise this is a form of social media. Does that mean you are a snowflake?
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 18,669 Posts
    • 49,068 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Interesting responses, the lorry was in Argos livery and DHL tell me they do not run lorries in others liveries hence going to Argos as they are responsible for their subcontractors anyway. It appears from most of the above comments that its now acceptable to cause damage and get away with it. That's not what the Road Traffic Act states. Hope this is not too long and rambling for some.
    If you'd simply posted that an Argos van hit your car and are denying causing the damage, your post might have had better response than the rambling about 'goodwill and good publicity' and what would have happened 10 years ago.
    As for the stuff about 'monitoring suppliers'.......

It's not a case that people think 'that its now acceptable to cause damage and get away with it'.

Are you looking for advice or just want to have a rant?
    If you just want to rant, maybe you feel better now.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 5,416 Thanks
    societys child
    Societies child - you do realise this is a form of social media. Does that mean you are a snowflake?
    Originally posted by cool-dog
    I certainly do not live on here . .

and I'm too old to be a snowflake

I'd also point out that "snowflakes live on social media" is not the same as "all people on social media are snowflakes" . .
    nice try at trolling, but you obviously have trouble with comprehension . .
    Last edited by societys child; 13-01-2018 at 7:31 PM.

• robatwork
    • By robatwork 13th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 4,041 Posts
    • 4,408 Thanks
    robatwork
    Having been up close and personal with a couple of the drivers of Argos delivery trucks lately, I'd say this wasn't surprising.

I won't ramble....but the first driver wandered up my path, said "need to turn round and park again but this road is busy" and then muttered under his breath, I stood at the door waiting for him to come back. Was still waiting an hour later when I called them.

Was the start of a saga that's still too raw to go into.

Let's just say that I won't be using them again for delivering anything. Store purchases are a different story - no problems there.
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 13th Jan 18, 12:37 PM
    • 2,661 Posts
    • 3,661 Thanks
    JReacher1
    I certainly do not live on here . .

and I'm too old to be a snowflake
    Originally posted by societys child
    you average two posts a day and have been on the site for 7 years so it does seem to take up quite a lot of your time.

I think people criticising other people for using social media on an internet forum are sat in a glass house throwing stones
    • societys child
    • By societys child 13th Jan 18, 7:25 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 5,416 Thanks
    societys child
    you average two posts a day and have been on the site for 7 years so it does seem to take up quite a lot of your time.

I think people criticising other people for using social media on an internet forum are sat in a glass house throwing stones
    Originally posted by JReacher1
    I can make many posts in one day and not actually visit the site for a week, so hardly spending my time on here am I. Work it out Reacher . . and grow up, !!!!..

• stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 13th Jan 18, 7:42 PM
    • 378 Posts
    • 369 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    Having been up close and personal with a couple of the drivers of Argos delivery trucks lately, I'd say this wasn't surprising.

I won't ramble....but the first driver wandered up my path, said "need to turn round and park again but this road is busy" and then muttered under his breath, I stood at the door waiting for him to come back. Was still waiting an hour later when I called them.
    Originally posted by robatwork
    You see, no disrespect to you but without some key information I can't get on board with your complaint!

- Did the item being delivered require the truck to be parked up? (like a sofa etc)

- Is parking ample in the area, or did they have to trek around for an hour looking for a suitable parking spot free of charges?

- What did he mutter under his breath?

- Was it Argos delivering the item, or did they use a courier company which could potentially be used by the company you choose over Argos in the future?

This is why I take negative reviews with a pinch of salt sometimes...

But I appreciate that it is "too raw to go into" so we'll leave them as rhetorical questions
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

4,119Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin