Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Niki777
    • By Niki777 12th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Niki777
    Effect of satisfied CCJ on rating?
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    Effect of satisfied CCJ on rating? 12th Jan 18 at 2:52 PM
    My partner just realised while checking his loan eligibility that he has a CCJ from August last year - this was the first we'd heard of it and his credit rating has always been excellent before this.

Having checked the register it turned out it was an outstanding water bill from our last house (we moved in June). It was a complete oversight - we forgot to notify united utilities when we moved and the landlord / new tenants didn't set anything up when they moved in either.

He's now paid it off and will contact the court to have it marked satisfied - my questions are

a) how negative an impact will the satisfied CCJ have for the next five and a half years?
    b) is there any point in trying to have it set aside? He didn't receive any of the paperwork relating to the CCJ but that is entirely our fault - we did notify our other utility providers and register on the electoral roll right away so it's fairly obvious we weren't hiding, but I'm not sure how much weight that would hold.

I blame the fact that we'd been living in Scotland (where the water bill is included in the council tax) for the past few years for the oversight - any advice appreciated!
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 12th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 387 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:59 PM
    Answers to

a) It depends what you're looking to do in the next 5 and a half years - how much was the default for?

b) As you've paid it off now I'm pretty sure you can't get it set aside - besides it will still show on your file
    • zx81
    • By zx81 12th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 14,949 Posts
    • 15,796 Thanks
    zx81
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    There's nothing you can do.

It's obviously not good, but at least you have settled it and its impact will reduce over time.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 12th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 13,097 Posts
    • 12,398 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    Hi,

You cant set aside a judgement that has been paid, you apply for set aside because you dispute the judgement, paying it accepts liability and there fore that matter is now closed.

The CCJ`s effect on your credit file, already pointed out, will not be positive, but will lessen over time.
    Last edited by sourcrates; 12-01-2018 at 3:55 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Niki777
    • By Niki777 12th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Niki777
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    Thanks guys - had a feeling that would be the case. It was £352 so not huge, just annoying because it would have been so easy to avoid.

We bought the house we moved into in June, so we shouldn't be applying for any mortgages for a while (although towards the end of the five years it's a possibility). We were looking at taking out a loan for home improvements / buying a car but it looks like we can do that in my name if needed.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,332Posts Today

9,459Users online

Martin's Twitter