Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikul182
    • By mikul182 12th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 5Thanks
    mikul182
    Trouble selling house due to nuisance neighbour *Please Help*
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    Trouble selling house due to nuisance neighbour *Please Help* 12th Jan 18 at 2:33 PM
    Hi,
    I have my terraced property on the market. I currently live in quite a popular area and have had ample interest and viewings since putting my house up for sale.
    Only problem is the next door neighbour. She has 3 dogs, 2 of which bark constantly at any time of the day or night, sometimes for hours on end.
    She herself has a drink problem and can be intoxicated any time of the day.
    She smokes weed on a regular basis.
    Her back garden is a mess with a converted burger van dumped in the middle of it, which is an absolute eye sore, it was acquired last summer and used to get drunk in for a few months now sits unused in said garden to just rot.
    She has a 12 year old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD who shouts/swears at the top of his voice mostly between 7.30pm - midnight. Taken out of school a year ago to be ‘home schooled’. That itself is a joke.
    Our house has been on the market for 3 months now and the feedback from viewings is always very positive with the one deciding factor being the next door neighbour.
    I have tried so many different ways of resolving this matter as I know I have to disclose any information to potential buyers. I am an honest person and wouldn’t hide any of these facts. I would rather be disclosing it as a resolved matter rather than an ongoing ‘problem’.
    She has been irritating for 5 years now mostly we have been able to ignore the disruptions but the last year has been absolute hell since she acquired the dogs. They are untrained, never exercised and sit in the horrible stone floor garden surrounded by a near 7ft poorly erected wooden fence. She has had 2 of the 3 dogs from pups so they know no other way of life and spend their days barking through boredom and being unaware of the outside world.
    So far I have contacted the RSPCA, who were powerless to act as the dogs are of reasonably good health.
    I have contacted the dog warden who is useless.
    I have contacted the police via 101, on several occasions, to report the weed. No action has been taken.
    My local council were unable to pursue the ‘human noise’ complaint I raised of to the child shouting/swearing at all hours of the day.
    Am I missing something? I seem to have gotten nowhere in my quest to resolve these matters. The main concern being the constant dog barking.
    Myself and my family are literally prisoners in our own home here and feel intimidated by this. Myself and my partner both work and are bringing up our young daughter in these unacceptable conditions. How is anyone going to buy my house??
    It is such a shame as we have had an offer on our dream home accepted and we are desperate to resolve the problems with our neighbour in order to sell our property and move into the new house.
    Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this post. Anyone with experience in this themselves or anyone with any suggestions please reply!!!

Many Thanks
    Mike
Page 3
    • GwylimT
    • By GwylimT 4th Feb 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6,031 Posts
    • 11,231 Thanks
    GwylimT
    What did social services and the nspcc say when you reported child neglect and exposure to drugs?
    • martindow
    • By martindow 4th Feb 18, 11:07 AM
    • 7,439 Posts
    • 4,193 Thanks
    martindow
    I see a lot of comments suggesting to take a financial loss and just !!!8216;get out!!!8217;.
    Originally posted by mikul182
    This is odd - I've noticed on other posts that MSE seems to be printing html code rather than quotation marks today.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 4th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 24,253 Posts
    • 90,856 Thanks
    Davesnave
    There's no such thing as a free ride; you either have to take the fight all the way no holds barred, or you do the alternative thing and sell your property at an investor's price.

When I had a similar sort of problem some years ago, I made it my business to find out what my difficult neighbour didn't like, then I served that up to them until they decided they were losing more than misbehaving was worth.

However, that's me, not you, and as I hinted earlier, I don't think you'd be dithering this long if you were the sort who could take the fight to the neighbour or respond in kind.

It's true that unless your neighbour leaves, you will probably end up having to disclose the situation, or it will become apparent on viewings. If that helps you to decide the next move, fine, but doing nothing isn't delaying a choice; it is one.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Money maker
    • By Money maker 4th Feb 18, 11:23 AM
    • 4,919 Posts
    • 11,206 Thanks
    Money maker
    Think its only apple products that produce it.
    Please do not quote spam as this enables it to 'live on' once the spam post is removed.

If you quote me, don't forget the capital 'M'

Declutterers of the world - unite!
    • The Palmist
    • By The Palmist 4th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 696 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    The Palmist
    1/ buy a solid music system with big speakers
    2/ Figure out when she sleeps (or she/children/dogs don't make noise)
    3/ At those times, play the music system at full volume to give her a taste of her own medicine
    Originally posted by londonwayfarer
    What's the bet that the authorities will be on him like a lead balloon as soon as OP does the above.
    Nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. - Alex Supertramp
    • PhilE
    • By PhilE 12th Feb 18, 12:04 PM
    • 249 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    PhilE

I disagree that barking dogs are the worst form of noise nuisance: Screaming, swearing chavs are far, far worse. I have lived the other side of a wall from both and would welcome the dogs back with open arms.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    Yes, the chav infestation of Britain is reaching epidemic proportions, and its about time this disease was addressed.

As with barking dog owners, they are not suitable for civilized society.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 12th Feb 18, 12:24 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    ashe
    I see a lot of comments suggesting to take a financial loss and just !!!8216;get out!!!8217;. The only fear I have there is that when it comes to the conveyancing side of things and me having to disclose any issues that the buyer then pulls out!
    Originally posted by mikul182
    You will absolutely have to disclose it and then they may or may not pull out. As you have reported them to various agencies, you will need to disclose this unfortunately unless she moves away.

I can totally empathise as we had all sorts of trouble with similar sounding people. Drugs on street, 4 kids in a 2 bed and all of them were terrors, basically let them play in our garden because they didn't have one. We were so lucky they just moved out one day and it changed our lives.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,239Posts Today

9,022Users online

Martin's Twitter