Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mikul182
    • By mikul182 12th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 2Thanks
    mikul182
    Trouble selling house due to nuisance neighbour *Please Help*
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    Trouble selling house due to nuisance neighbour *Please Help* 12th Jan 18 at 2:33 PM
    Hi,
    I have my terraced property on the market. I currently live in quite a popular area and have had ample interest and viewings since putting my house up for sale.
    Only problem is the next door neighbour. She has 3 dogs, 2 of which bark constantly at any time of the day or night, sometimes for hours on end.
    She herself has a drink problem and can be intoxicated any time of the day.
    She smokes weed on a regular basis.
    Her back garden is a mess with a converted burger van dumped in the middle of it, which is an absolute eye sore, it was acquired last summer and used to get drunk in for a few months now sits unused in said garden to just rot.
    She has a 12 year old son who has been diagnosed with ADHD who shouts/swears at the top of his voice mostly between 7.30pm - midnight. Taken out of school a year ago to be ‘home schooled’. That itself is a joke.
    Our house has been on the market for 3 months now and the feedback from viewings is always very positive with the one deciding factor being the next door neighbour.
    I have tried so many different ways of resolving this matter as I know I have to disclose any information to potential buyers. I am an honest person and wouldn’t hide any of these facts. I would rather be disclosing it as a resolved matter rather than an ongoing ‘problem’.
    She has been irritating for 5 years now mostly we have been able to ignore the disruptions but the last year has been absolute hell since she acquired the dogs. They are untrained, never exercised and sit in the horrible stone floor garden surrounded by a near 7ft poorly erected wooden fence. She has had 2 of the 3 dogs from pups so they know no other way of life and spend their days barking through boredom and being unaware of the outside world.
    So far I have contacted the RSPCA, who were powerless to act as the dogs are of reasonably good health.
    I have contacted the dog warden who is useless.
    I have contacted the police via 101, on several occasions, to report the weed. No action has been taken.
    My local council were unable to pursue the ‘human noise’ complaint I raised of to the child shouting/swearing at all hours of the day.
    Am I missing something? I seem to have gotten nowhere in my quest to resolve these matters. The main concern being the constant dog barking.
    Myself and my family are literally prisoners in our own home here and feel intimidated by this. Myself and my partner both work and are bringing up our young daughter in these unacceptable conditions. How is anyone going to buy my house??
    It is such a shame as we have had an offer on our dream home accepted and we are desperate to resolve the problems with our neighbour in order to sell our property and move into the new house.
    Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this post. Anyone with experience in this themselves or anyone with any suggestions please reply!!!

Many Thanks
    Mike
Page 2
    • tv21
    • By tv21 13th Jan 18, 9:15 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    tv21
    Does she go on holiday? If she doesn't, can you pay for her to do so and sell while she’s away?
    • nimbo
    • By nimbo 13th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 3,253 Posts
    • 8,902 Thanks
    nimbo
    If the child is up until all hours and being poorly homeschooled with their needs not being catered for then there may be a need for social care input.

It might help get them the support that the child needs to better manage their condition.

Which in turn could have a positive impact on the noise issue. At least for a period.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jan 18, 7:34 AM
    • 14,590 Posts
    • 40,005 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Does she go on holiday? If she doesn't, can you pay for her to do so and sell while she’s away?
    Originally posted by tv21
    I would have thought that's one quick way to get in trouble with any poor person that bought the house in ignorance of what the neighbour is like - and puts in an official complaint against OP for doing that to them.

As for paying for a troublemaker to have a free holiday precisely because they are a troublemaker!!!!
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 14-01-2018 at 7:37 AM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • Mickygg
    • By Mickygg 14th Jan 18, 7:43 AM
    • 1,359 Posts
    • 1,079 Thanks
    Mickygg
    Originally posted by tv21
    I would seriously not recommend this.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 23,959 Posts
    • 90,154 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Given that it takes about 12-15 weeks to buy a house, that would be some holiday!

To my mind, there's probably only two answers here:
    • Wait it out. People with chaotic lives eventually screw-up, big time, but if this one's not paying rent, it might be a long wait. I'd investigate that situation further, if possible.
    • Take a financial hit and move on. Houses become much less desirable/valuable for all sorts of reasons, some of which are intractable. If one happens to be the owner and the object is to get out, the logical response is to market at a price reflective of the new situation. There is always a commercial buyer less concrned about the neighbours than their % return on investment.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 14th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 1,030 Posts
    • 1,106 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    Any convenants on the property retricting what can be kept on the land?

I would be tempted to negotiate with her first despite your predjudices against her lifestyle and behaviour. She might be a reasonable person whose life has just fallen into a mess and you could be the catalyst to put things right.

Failing that, start loading her up with police complaints, council noise, other neighbours etc.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jan 18, 10:21 AM
    • 23,959 Posts
    • 90,154 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I would have thought that's one quick way to get in trouble with any poor person that bought the house in ignorance of what the neighbour is like - and puts in an official complaint against OP for doing that to them.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    There's the matter of the TA6 too.

I ought to know this by now! Is it question 2.1?

Yes, it is.

https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/support-services/advice/articles/ta-form-specimens/
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 14,590 Posts
    • 40,005 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    That's exactly the one I meant Dave - had forgotten the number of that particular question.

Not so sure on people that lead chaotic lives always coming to grief eventually. By my age (60's) I can see some "chickens coming home to roost" a bit down the line for a few. But I can certainly think of someone a little bit older than me (a former friend) that hasnt had it catch up with her yet - that ball has been passed down the line to her children (who are likely to fall out big-time with each other in, I estimate, 20 years time). Make that 10 years if her faulty memory she is demonstrating sometimes these days is "the start of....".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 14-01-2018 at 11:05 AM.

• londonwayfarer
    • By londonwayfarer 14th Jan 18, 11:09 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    londonwayfarer
    give her a taste of her own medicine
    1/ buy a solid music system with big speakers
    2/ Figure out when she sleeps (or she/children/dogs don't make noise)
    3/ At those times, play the music system at full volume to give her a taste of her own medicine
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 14th Jan 18, 11:21 AM
    • 14,590 Posts
    • 40,005 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    3/ At those times, play the music system at full volume to give her a taste of her own medicine
    Originally posted by londonwayfarer
    Then OP gets a name as a troublemaker too

No - much more practical, I feel, is the "attack from all sides" scenario (ie police complaints, council, other neighbours) approach advocated by another poster on here. I know of one instance where it worked.

Though it has to be said that I know of another one (against a decent person) where it didnt work - because said "decent person" knew what the neighbours were up to and "rode it out" until they stopped "playing silly b&ggers" against the person.

• TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 14th Jan 18, 11:40 AM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    TheGardener
    A relative had a similar problem - she found a contact with one of the more 'militant' animal rights groups and they relieved her neighbour of the dogs and found them good homes.
    A similar line of 'contacts' who travel though the area maybe happy to relieve her of the burger van. Sometimes, although not exactly within the realms of the law - fighting fire with fire can have some benefits - although of course I am not suggesting you do anything illegal...
    The only way to deal with the child is to persist in approaching social services and the education dept about what appears to be neglect. The neighbours behaviour suggests she too may well be in need of help.
    Check with your council if there are any public protection orders in the area that could deal with AS behaviour.
    Last edited by TheGardener; 14-01-2018 at 11:43 AM.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 14th Jan 18, 11:41 AM
    • 23,959 Posts
    • 90,154 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by londonwayfarer
    Sorry to be a little rude, but if you'd read the OP's posts carefully and understood the clues in them, you'd know this will never happen. Even if it did, it might have as much effect as the changing weather.

Taking the battle to the enemy isn't for everyone and relying on third parties to do it is not a guaranteed route to success either. Both approaches can become fraught with anxiety -inducing situations and exhaust those involved.

How is anyone sure what the council will do, when their main concern will be to protect public funds? Like the RSPCA and social services, the default position is to be seen to do something, but in the real world that means ticking a few boxes, sending out warnings and having 'consultations' or 'mediation.'

The latter is still a far better idea than yours, but, given the circumstances, I wouldn't put any money on it succeeding.
    • Noctu
    • By Noctu 14th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 1,689 Thanks
    Noctu
    We had a similar situation (although not quite as bad as what you're describing). We part exchanged with a local builder. 3 years later we couldn't be happier
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 14th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    Smodlet
    I sympathise so much, I really do. We live the other side of a party wall from the neighbour from hell. The only thing that really got the council's attention was a catalogue of sound recordings; have you tried this?

I realise the child's noise is probably inadmissible if it has "issues" (don't get me started) but, if the mother gets off her head and makes noise at anti social hours, that should provide evidence of her neglect. It will take a long time and be even more stressful than filling out a nuisance log but, if it yields results, will be worth it.

I wish you luck... If you like, you can do the same for me; the fight continues...
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

215Posts Today

1,819Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin