Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rejtan
    • By Rejtan 12th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Rejtan
    2 meters - can we use different suppliers?
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    2 meters - can we use different suppliers? 12th Jan 18 at 2:17 PM
    Hi,

My mother still uses storage heaters as there is no gas in the property. There are 2 meters, one standard, one off-peak (currently 14 hours supply, changing to Economy 7). Both the meters are connected to one 100A supplier fuse coming in on one supply cable.

The meters have separate MPAN nos. When I inquired about switching, one potential supplier said that this was possible as long as the meters are no longer marked as "linked" in the national database. She said that this can only be done by the current supplier, but that this was possible.

Anyone know if this is right? Could I use 2 different suppliers?

The legacy tariff on the 14 hour supply jumped to 15.5p last year and we are now facing an extra £120 charges. We can't invest in the setup as the house will have to be sold when my mother moves out in the next few years.

Thanks for any help.
    Richard
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 4,858 Posts
    • 2,973 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    Hi,

My mother still uses storage heaters as there is no gas in the property. There are 2 meters, one standard, one off-peak (currently 14 hours supply, changing to Economy 7). Both the meters are connected to one 100A supplier fuse coming in on one supply cable.

The meters have separate MPAN nos. When I inquired about switching, one potential supplier said that this was possible as long as the meters are no longer marked as "linked" in the national database. She said that this can only be done by the current supplier, but that this was possible.

The legacy tariff on the 14 hour supply jumped to 15.5p last year and we are now facing an extra £120 charges. We can't invest in the setup as the house will have to be sold when my mother moves out in the next few years.

Thanks for any help.
    Richard
    Originally posted by Rejtan
    Welcome to the forum. I would have thought not unless two separate bills are being produced at the moment. Most E7 users get the benefit of low cost energy overnight but pay more during the day.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 4,066 Posts
    • 1,630 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    Hi,

Thanks for any help.
    Richard
    Originally posted by Rejtan
    What do you mean by "currently 14 hours supply, changing to Economy 7" ?

If you have 2 MPANS then you have metering to support a legacy tariff.

Please follow my Golden Rule:
    Do not attempt to switch supplier with this type of metering in place. Attempts by others to do so previously have invariably ended in tears.

Good luck!
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 12th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    Sounds like they're on an E10 type tariff currently, maybe their current supplier has offered an E7 to them. Personally with storage heaters and no Gas E10 normally would be better sticking with , follow Footyguy's rule though, trying to change always ends up messy
    • jk0
    • By jk0 12th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 2,147 Posts
    • 23,867 Thanks
    jk0
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:02 PM
    I suspect you would end up paying two standing charges, which rather defeats what I think you are trying to accomplish.
    • Autumnella
    • By Autumnella 13th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 450 Posts
    • 1,508 Thanks
    Autumnella
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    It would be done by your current supplier, but they would not do this because the meters are linked, unrelating them on the national database would be incorrect and MPAS who process the data would probably reject the request anyway.
    • Rejtan
    • By Rejtan 14th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rejtan
    • 14th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 6:32 PM
    Thanks for all the comments and answers.
    To explain a bit more background, the legacy tariff called "Off Peak" provides 14 hours a day of power and switches off outside these hours due to a supplier clock between the meter and the supply.
    This tariff went up in price to about 15.5 pence last summer from 11.5. So now our bills are £280 / month instead of £175.
    So I think we have to move to Economy 7 and if required just top up the heating with portable heaters from the other standard meter. There don't seem to any other options on the market. SSE, our supplier, didn't offer us Economy 10.

I would be quite ok with paying 2 sets of standing charges as that would cost less that £100 /year extra, still leaving us with a huge saving.
    It's only a terraced house, but if all 9 storage heaters were powered up at the same time, then the current would easily exceed 100A. I guess that is why the supplier originally put in 2 meters.
    • Rejtan
    • By Rejtan 16th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rejtan
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    Or is it possible to also make the second meter also "standard", and accepting that both meters come from the same supplier? Even doing a 12 month fix with the current supplier would be much cheaper than the 14 hour "off peak" supply.
    We would then pay for an electrician to install our own clock or clocks to control the storage heaters.
    Could we then change supplier if the current one was too expensive?
    • Rejtan
    • By Rejtan 16th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rejtan
    • 16th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    Ok. This has clarified itself. The SSE engineer installed the Economy 7 meter and removed BOTH meters. SSE had said on the phone that the other meter would stay, which was the reason for my question. Sorry for wasting people's time.
    I queried removing both meters with the engineer, as the total power consumption could be about 130A if everything was switched on. The engineer, who was clearly very experienced, said this wasn't a problem even though the Economy 7 meter is rated for 100A.
    Thanks everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

7,797Users online

Martin's Twitter