Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • harz99
    • By harz99 12th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 2,622Posts
    • 2,545Thanks
    harz99
    Faulty Moto G5plus mobile phone.
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    Faulty Moto G5plus mobile phone. 12th Jan 18 at 12:43 PM
    Hi, back in May '17 I bought the above phone new and sim free from Carphone Warehouse with a 2 year warranty.

It worked perfectly up to November '17, at which point it started firstly dropping the phone signal and refusing to reconnect without being turned off and rebooted, secondly it also started frequently dropping the wifi connection at home or elsewhere.

Shortly after Christmas I went back to the CPW shop I bought from, they pointed me to Motorola and returning direct to them for repair which I did.

Having had the phone back for a week, although the phone signal seems steady, the wifi connectivity has gone back to being as bad as previously and I know its not my router etc. as my old Samsung S3 maintains continuous wifi connection with no problems.

Can I return the phone to CPW as faulty and insisit they deal with it via replacement or am I going to be stuck in a continuous loop of returning for repair until the warranty finally runs out?

Advice gratefully received.
Page 2
    • hightara
    • By hightara 19th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    Motorola is not much better harz99. Finally got them to agree to take my phone back for a refund. Can not count the emails and time on the phone to them. Resolver I believe has hastened the process. My phone was bought in November, sent for repair in December.

The Wifi issue seems to be an inherent problem with this particular make.

Good luck, keep going through Resolver. Persistence is key. Even if you are about to throw the blerdy thing through the window.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 20th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    Another day, another incorrect assertion from CPW, apparently I'm out of their warranty, no I'm not according to the terms and conditions they linked me to.

Ping...
    • harz99
    • By harz99 23rd Jan 18, 1:30 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    As per previous post.

Ping.

Soon be time to take further action.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 26th Jan 18, 1:29 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    Update, CPW seem to be ignoring me now, so just asked them for the correct address to send an LBA before Small Claims.

Three more days before Resolver escalate the matter, so S75 now or wait, hmm.
    • hightara
    • By hightara 26th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    I escalated yesterday harz99, got this today

Dear Mrs XXXXXX,

I would like to inform you, our department confirmed, all the provided details are correct, we can proceed with the swap. Also, please note, as this procedure can take up to 6-7 weeks.

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to contact us, quoting your Customer Reference number. We are reachable on 03339 997 550 to discuss the matter further with one of our experienced customer service agents. Please contact us any time between the hours of 8am and 6pm from Monday to Friday.

Kind regards,
    György Andr!s
    Complaint department

Moto & Lenovo Customer Service Centre
    www.motorola.co.uk
    www.lenovo.co.uk

I hope that when they said swap, that it was a refund (I have just asked them to clarify)
    But 6-7 weeks to send the refund back to my account
    Again I have asked them to justify this time frame, and also directed them to this thread.

This was not from the Director to whom I have escalated the case to yesterday.
    Last edited by hightara; 26-01-2018 at 2:51 PM. Reason: more info
    • harz99
    • By harz99 26th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    Thanks Hightara, interesting result. I wonder whether you escalating yesterday to Resolver was the cause, or if by coincidence Motorola just made their own decision.
    • hightara
    • By hightara 26th Jan 18, 7:38 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    They have not got back yet, but I believe it was coincidence as it was from the Customer Service Centre.
    The escalated case was to Marcus Frost, Chief Executive Officer.
    • hightara
    • By hightara 29th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    Was on chat yesterday. Got nowhere.
    Got this email this morning

Dear Customer,

I would like to inform you, that this is the standard timeframe for the refund procedure, unfortunately, we can not do anything to hurry up this procedure. You asked for a full refund, and we are proceeding with, but this could take 6-7 weeks, until the money it arrives to you bank account.

Once again, please accept our apologies occurred here, during this procedure.

For any further assistance or information please do not hesitate to contact us, quoting your Customer Reference number. We are reachable on 03339 997 550 to discuss the matter further with one of our experienced customer service agents. Please contact us any time between the hours of 8am and 6pm from Monday to Friday.

Kind regards,
    György Andr!s
    Complaint department

Resolver has not worked in this instance.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 29th Jan 18, 12:47 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 4,056 Thanks
    DoaM
    In either or both of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 there is a definition of how long a seller has to make a refund. I'm pretty sure that 6-7 weeks exceeds the statutory requirements.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • hightara
    • By hightara 29th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    thank you DoaM
    they will not budge, even with me sending all the details via Resolver, escalating to the Director. So from late November until now..I have not had a phone. It is with them.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents

DoaM which section should I try?
    Last edited by hightara; 29-01-2018 at 2:39 PM. Reason: info
    • harz99
    • By harz99 30th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    So, I decided to see what escalating via Resolver brings, apart from learning of the 21 days they then require you to wait before a final escalation - not a lot so far.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 30th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 4,013 Posts
    • 4,056 Thanks
    DoaM
    DoaM which section should I try?
    Originally posted by hightara
    It seems to me that Section 20 (15) may be relevant.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • hightara
    • By hightara 30th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    Thank you DoaM
    Lenovo/Motorola really make you jump though hoops harz99.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 30th Jan 18, 10:22 PM
    • 166 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    newatc
    This is probably too late and not relevant to this particular situation but I was having problems with wifi dropping.
    But the situation on my phone seems to have been resolved by changing the wifi setting "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Always.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 31st Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    This is probably too late and not relevant to this particular situation but I was having problems with wifi dropping.
    But the situation on my phone seems to have been resolved by changing the wifi setting "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to Always.
    Originally posted by newatc

Thanks, but makes no difference to mine.
    • hightara
    • By hightara 4th Feb 18, 12:27 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    newatc thank you, but harz99 and I have done I imagine everything suggested,

I got this

Thank you for contacting Moto & Lenovo customer support.

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the provided timeframe for a refund. Unfortunately your purchase was completed with PayPal, which does not allow refunds after 60 days from the date of purchase. Hence your refund has to be issued by a different department, located in the US. This type of refund has a standard timeframe of 6-7 weeks for processing, as you have previously been advised.

I have forwarded the case to the relevant department in order to find out whether this timeframe could be shortened. Their answer is the following:

"Once the echeck is created (should be done today), we can request an expedite. However, for out of country check refunds they typically take the full 6 weeks."

This means that we will do the utmost in order to try and shorten this timeframe, however we can make no promises on the outcome and you should expect at least 6 weeks for the refund to be processed. I am sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Yours sincerely,
    Giulio
    Moto & Lenovo Customer Service Centre
    www.motorola.co.uk
    www.lenovo.co.uk
    Question Reference # 180131-025519
    Date Created: 31/01/2018 10.10 AM
    Date Last Updated: 31/01/2018 10.10 AM
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 4th Feb 18, 9:00 AM
    • 19,432 Posts
    • 15,116 Thanks
    agrinnall
    So https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/resolver did not work in my case, Martin Lewis...could you check who will actually help me and harz99
    Originally posted by hightara

Nobody other than you is going to help you (and certainly not ML). If Resolver hasn't worked then realistically all you are left with is a Letter Before Action followed by a Small Claim, if you think you have a strong enough case to win at court.
    • hightara
    • By hightara 4th Feb 18, 10:31 AM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    thank you agrinnall, only another couple of weeks for the refund.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 4th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,622 Posts
    • 2,545 Thanks
    harz99
    So, I decided to see what escalating via Resolver brings, apart from learning of the 21 days they then require you to wait before a final escalation - not a lot so far.
    Originally posted by harz99

No contact or response to my escalation whatsoever.

Am now taking another tack to see where that leads while the clock ticks on to enable the final Resolver escalation date.
    • hightara
    • By hightara 11th Feb 18, 7:35 PM
    • 190 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    hightara
    harz99.
    thank you and to Doam agrinnall newatc for your help
    I still have not got a refund.... I did send this..please correct me if I am wrong.

Marcus Frost, Chief Executive Officer
    Motorola Mobility UK Ltd
    Redwood, Crockford Lane
    Chineham Business Park,
    Basingstoke, RG24 8WQ

Dear Mr Frost

Reference: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Consumer Rights Act 2015

I am writing with regards the MOTO Phone XT1805 GB 3+32G GR DS
    I purchased from you on 05 NOV 2017 for £ 223.10 which is not as described, of satisfactory quality nor fit for the purpose due to the following problems:
    Wi-Fi persistently dropping. Further details to support my complaint are enclosed.
    The Consumer Rights Act 2015 states that goods should be as described, of a satisfactory quality and fit for the purpose. As the Mobile phone is not, you are therefore in breach of contract and I would like to reject the goods and request that you issue me with a full refund immediately.
    You have already had one chance of repair, which did not work. I was told my refund would be forth-coming.

I look forward to a full response to my letter within 7 days or I shall seek legal advice in order to take the matter further.

I will of course be sending this via post. For legal reasons.

Yours faithfully,

xxxxxxxx xxxxxx

really appreciate it DoaM if you could help harz99 and I
    Last edited by hightara; 11-02-2018 at 7:58 PM. Reason: added message to DoaM
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter