Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • martindow
    • By martindow 12th Jan 18, 11:48 AM
    • 7,342Posts
    • 4,117Thanks
    martindow
    Moving data and apps to new phone
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:48 AM
    Moving data and apps to new phone 12th Jan 18 at 11:48 AM
    I've a MotoG4 running Android 5.1 and will be moving to a G5 soon which I think runs v7. Can anyone give me advice on how best to transfer data and apps to the new phone?

I have a gmail account with back up my data and automatic restore enabled but I'm not sure how complete this is. What does this actually save for reinstalling?

There are no music or photos that are important as I have those on my PC but I want to be sure that I don't lose my phone contacts and text messages.

Moving apps across is not vital but it would be a pain to reinstall them, although maybe I should probably take the opportunity to weed some out I don't use. But I would not want to lose photos and videos currently in Whatsapp.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 12th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 32,136 Posts
    • 37,868 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    Motorola phones have a migrate tool

Or logging into your Gmail account does it, all apps are downloaded as on the original phone

You just need to verify WhatsApp again and enter a few password for wireless etc
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 12th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 3,496 Posts
    • 1,798 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    Apps etc will be Ok, just sign in with ur google account details

However your sms messages will not move
    • martindow
    • By martindow 12th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 7,342 Posts
    • 4,117 Thanks
    martindow
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    Thanks both. Is there a separate way of moving the SMS messages?

I found reference to Motorola migration tool but according to this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.motorola.migrate&hl=en_GB

it looks as if it doesn't work on Android 6 or higher.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 12th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 1,386 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    WhatsApp backup to Google drive is, I think, monthly by default. To make sure it's up-to-date before you change phones:
    Menu > Settings > Chats > Chat backup
    Do a backup and when you sign in on the new phone it should be all there, including videos if you ticked for them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,555Posts Today

10,545Users online

Martin's Twitter