Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > Boost your income article discussion (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Boost your income article discussion
Closed Thread
Views: 40,706
Old 16-10-2007, 8:25 PM   #1
MSE Lawrence
Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is to discuss the

Boost Your Income article

Please read the article first, as this discussion follows it.

Click reply to discuss or suggest new sections for this article.

Last edited by MSE Researcher; 15-06-2010 at 2:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Lawrence For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
soodie
Old 17-10-2007, 10:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Although you do have to be careful and fully check out before handing over any money, there are some good opportunities in those "need extra cash" adverts. If you can discipline yourself to go out there whatever the weather then things like Kleeneze, Betterware and Avon are all good ways to earn yourself some extra money. These are reputable companies with a proven track record.
The Following User Says Thank You to soodie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
krishna
Old 19-10-2007, 3:01 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Martin's email suggests that there is an initial fee for selling books on Amazon. In fact you pay NOTHING until your book is sold.
The Following User Says Thank You to krishna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
advanta
Old 19-10-2007, 1:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Related comment on amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishna View Post
Martin's email suggests that there is an initial fee for selling books on Amazon. In fact you pay NOTHING until your book is sold.
A related comment on amazon and affiliate programs in general. It is really, really tough trying to make it as an affiliate. So much depends on traffic and the search engines. To make minimum wage+ you really need to do it full-time, and you probably need to invest money to get quality traffic.
I've had a good little amazon affiliate site for almost ten years and its only made a couple of hundred dollars.
# 5
saraharrow
Old 03-11-2007, 8:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

A new kids modelling agency has been set up, the web address is http://www.modelkidsonline.co.uk
Instead of having to pay huge registration fees to be on the books, they just ask for 15 for 6 months on the website to help towards upkeep and promotional costs.
The owner used to work in a kids modelling agency and saw how many parents walked away when asked for 200 to join, so she has a tiny fee to help with the phone and the site upkeep in the hope more parents will allow their kids to take up modelling.
I have spoke to her partner Shamus, and he says that they regularly contact all the ad agencies who need child models and other companies. I asked him how much promotion goes on (natural sceptic) and he told me he makes 15 calls a day related to the agency, the rest is done by his partner, also called Sarah.
I am going to give it a try, who knows one of my little treasures may earn a few bucks towards their gap year travelling :-)He did ask if I mentioned this site, would I ask people to put Sarah in the promo code so they would know the parents came via word of mouth rather than an advert.
Hope this is useful, I cant wait for the day we can sell the kids on ebay ;-)
SArah
Sarah
The Following User Says Thank You to saraharrow For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
neilmk77
Old 16-01-2008, 9:37 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

After spending a fortune on "biz ops", get rich quick schemes/scams and wasting time trying to make affiliate programmes work... I found the best way to make a really decent second income is to create a simple info product like an 'eBook' on a subject that you know a little bit about. Create a simple 1-page website and promote it for free on the internet; forums, chat groups, social network sites, perhaps some advertising on Google and have affiliates selling your product for you.

I did this with a simple little ebook on 'travel' and ended up making more money than my regular job inside 12 months. I now have several of these little 1-page websites - each churning out several hundred pounds a month on complete autopilot. I work from home and about half as hard as I did in my job. Forget selling other peoples stuff or spending money on business opps - create your own stuff! It's got to be one of the easiest ways possible to make a good 2nd income. It takes a little bit of effort in the beginning (to create the ebooks etc) but the rewards are definitely, definitely worth it.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to neilmk77 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
NigeWick
Old 16-01-2008, 4:55 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I second Neilmk77's idea. It is something I have looked into and in the process of having a go at. Profits are better than wages, as somebody once said. I will keep working at the day job until I am making enough to pack up.

Nigel.
The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
Oliver Wendell Holmes
# 8
IainJ
Old 17-01-2008, 7:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Extra Income opportunities

Soodie is absolutely right - be careful and be disciplined.

I joined Kleeneze last February and last year regularly earned an extra 300 - 400 every 28 days just doing catalogues. You can also team build and then your bonus goes up - There is a guy called Gavin Scott who earns 400,000 per year from this although he has been there 15 years - these incomes are real but not going to happen overnight.

My team last year did 25,000 for Kleeneze.

It works, it really does, but you need to work it too.

feel free to come back to this thread and I'll show you proof.

good luck everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by soodie View Post
Although you do have to be careful and fully check out before handing over any money, there are some good opportunities in those "need extra cash" adverts. If you can discipline yourself to go out there whatever the weather then things like Kleeneze, Betterware and Avon are all good ways to earn yourself some extra money. These are reputable companies with a proven track record.
# 9
IainJ
Old 17-01-2008, 7:48 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

NeilMK - I've never heard of this ebook - how do you do it? can you direct me to a link or start up site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmk77 View Post
After spending a fortune on "biz ops", get rich quick schemes/scams and wasting time trying to make affiliate programmes work... I found the best way to make a really decent second income is to create a simple info product like an 'eBook' on a subject that you know a little bit about. Create a simple 1-page website and promote it for free on the internet; forums, chat groups, social network sites, perhaps some advertising on Google and have affiliates selling your product for you.

I did this with a simple little ebook on 'travel' and ended up making more money than my regular job inside 12 months. I now have several of these little 1-page websites - each churning out several hundred pounds a month on complete autopilot. I work from home and about half as hard as I did in my job. Forget selling other peoples stuff or spending money on business opps - create your own stuff! It's got to be one of the easiest ways possible to make a good 2nd income. It takes a little bit of effort in the beginning (to create the ebooks etc) but the rewards are definitely, definitely worth it.
# 10
rachaelamy
Old 17-01-2008, 9:28 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I'd relly love to write an e book and find out how they work as I've no idea! Please give me a shove in the right direction!
Thanks
Rachael
# 11
set
Old 23-01-2008, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi

I would like to write an e book, pehaps recipes or something?? but where do you start and how do you do it?

Any help would be great.
# 12
beantrees
Old 21-06-2008, 8:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

It's not going to make you a fortune, but if you don't like the idea of taking part in biomedical experiments, there are others which don't involve the use of drugs! Our local university's Experimental Psychology department has loads of postgrad students wanting your time, paid at around £10/hour (usually a one-off visit for up to an hour). It's also very interesting - I've taken part in studies on memory, language, cognitive function, interaction with food and alcohol etc. If you contact your local higher education institution they should be able to tell you whether they do that kind of thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beantrees For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Tetherend
Old 21-06-2008, 11:45 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Lightbulb Get paid for referals

As soon as the economy starts to look... dodgy, people tend not to change jobs and this has caused a reduction in the availability of talent in some industry sectors.

To overcome this shortage of job-seekers, many recruitment agencies (including my own) pay a finder's fee to registered candidates who introduce a friend or colleague who is then successfully placed in a new job. The friend or colleague may not even be looking for a new job but wouldn't say no to a better offer. Fees vary depending on the the agency or job type probably starting around 150 but one recently offered 1000 - you won't make a living from it but it's a little 'beer' money. If you are registered with an agency, check their website or give them a call.

Be warned - if you do receive a finders fee, you are responsible for paying the taxman.

# 14
GlynJ
Old 17-07-2008, 5:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I know I'm a bit late on the scene here, but I like the sound of these ebooks - only problem is I don't know how top go about it!
Can anyone enlighten on how to set one up & how to make money from them etc.

Cheers
Glyn
# 15
sophpollard
Old 11-08-2008, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beantrees View Post
Our local university's Experimental Psychology department has loads of postgrad students wanting your time, paid at around 10/hour (usually a one-off visit for up to an hour).
I think this is a great way of earning a few extra pounds, I sometimes go in for these experiments at the Experimental Psychology Dept. Its also really easy to sign up via their online webpage etc. Worth looking out for at local Universities!
Student loan: 450 + paid off (40.00 a month)
Credit card: 0.00 (now stuffed in the back of my drawer, not in my wallet!)
Overdraft used : 0.00
Extra cash earned in June : 100
# 16
essjayar
Old 20-09-2008, 9:43 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Basic Guide To Ebooks

There's a few questions here about writing and selling eBooks, so I thought I drop y'all a few pointers and hints. I can't go into too much detail or this post would go on forever! Perhaps this site could have a section on "internet marketing" to cover this kind of thing?

Writing Your Ebook

Write your book in Word or OpenOffice.org and save as a "PDF" file. That's a format that can be opened on most computers. It's more or less the standard for this kind of thing.

What To Write About

Write about what you know, what you are interested in, or what you have some knowledge about. But there's another consideration - will people want to buy this? The kind of book that garners interest is something that imparts some insight about your choosen subject, so How To's and Tips format guides work well. For example, How To Improve Your Golf, How To Fish, How To Service Your Car etc. Top marketers will research what people want to know FIRST then write the guide to service that need.

Selling Your Ebook

You really only need a couple of things. A Domain (eg. www.whatever.com - domain names themselves are very valuable) and a host (somewhere to put your ebook on the web). You then create a website that is basically a one page advert about your book, with an order button. PayPal lets you create order buttons and accept payments for free, but they take a percentage cut. You can set the order button to go to another webpage once payment is completed, so you have a second page on your site that "delivers" the book, i.e. the customer gets to download it.

Marketing Your Site

Once you have a website that sells your ebook, you need to market it, or advertise it. This is a whole new can of worms! Tips include making sure your website gets listed in the search engines, buying ads from google (called Adwords), and visiting forums and blogs that are in the same subject area as your book and posting there.

If all goes well people who are interested in your subject will come across your site, like what they see, click the order button, and download the book. All automatically.

You don't even have to sell your book, you can give it away, but have links in your book that lead to sites where you get a commission. You can have affiliates yourself, who get a cut of the sale when they sell your book for you (try clickbank.com), and much more. You can even use print-on-demand services and have your book listed as a real world harcopy on amazon.

There is of course much, much more to this but that is a broad outline of the process. Use google and search for internet marketing etc and you'll find a whole new world if you're not already familiar with it
Stuart Reid, NetpreneurNow.Com
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to essjayar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
xavierforex
Old 12-12-2008, 11:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi,

Building an affiliate business is one of the easiest ways to start a business online. You don't need your own products, you don't have to provide customer service, and in fact, you don't even need a website. If you want to earn real profits from an affiliate business though, then you need real strategies for getting traffic and earning profits.

Regards

Hi, weve had to remove your signature. If youre not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if youre still unsure - MSE Forum Team
# 18
millie 1
Old 31-01-2009, 6:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Another great way to earn extra cash is to become an health care assistant, which involves visiting the elderly in their homes preparing meals, chatting, shopping for them, perhaps taking them to the libarary,doctors or dare I say the bingo, just spending some time with them and maybe a bit of personal care but you can specify if you do not want to help with bathing etc.
Agencies are desperate to recruit new people you do not have to have any previous experiance as full training is given and you are also paid to take nvq exams in health care. I work a couple of hours a day and get an extra 200/250 per month which fits around my other work and raising a child.
Men are also needed for this type of work. It may not be an area you have considered before but it is actually great fun and not difficult. Check out your local paper or the lady magazine for agencies Saga, Bayada nurses, and Allied Healthcare all need extra people and you get great back up support from the office. Worth a thought !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to millie 1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
max2009
Old 11-03-2009, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

So far just 2 people trying promote their services on this thread.Yet another kleeneze and Wikaniko.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to max2009 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
CliffShahman
Old 16-03-2009, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

There seem to be more and more sites in the UK to help you sell nowadays:
- Music Magpie - sell CDs and DVDs
- SpeedSell.com - sell Playstation, Nintendo and Xbox consoles and games (not Sega though, for some reason)
- MoPay and Envirofone - sell mobile phones.

I think there is one for jewelery as well but I haven't used it.
Closed Thread