Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• BND2004
    • By BND2004 12th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Getting a Mortgage with partner - me awful credit history, her perfect
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    Getting a Mortgage with partner - me awful credit history, her perfect 12th Jan 18 at 11:34 AM
    My partner and I are considering buying a property together at some point in the next couple of years.. I have awful credit history, whereas hers is probably about as perfect as it gets, and she owns a property from before we met.

What are our chances of getting a mortgage? Will they ignore her history because of mine, or vice versa? Or will they just take some kind of average score? Would it make a difference whether she sold the first property (good or bad)?

Obviously now I've discovered this website I am working on improving my credit score, but that is going to be a long process.
Page 1
    • ACG
    • By ACG 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 16,483 Posts
    • 8,542 Thanks
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    It will depend on the lender really, there are lenders who will just look at the worst status and work off that, there are other lenders who will sort of average out.

There is no where near enough information and you are talking a couple of years down the line. As you have said, keep a clean nose and with a year or 2 clean I think you will have enough options at decent enough rates.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,791Posts Today

6,818Users online

Martin's Twitter