Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • foolishboy
    • By foolishboy 12th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 320Posts
    • 94Thanks
    foolishboy
    Faulty item return to retailer - postage costs?
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    Faulty item return to retailer - postage costs? 12th Jan 18 at 10:52 AM
    I'm returning an item to the tesco_outlet ebay store, it's around 9 months old and failed under the 12 month warranty they state on the invoice.

They're saying (as do their T&C) that I have to pay for return postage. I'm sure I read before that if I ship back to the retailer (who I had the contract with) under a warranty claim situation I shouldn't be out of pocket for the costs. Had I returned to the manufacturer it would be a different story.

Having trouble relocating where I read this. Anyone have a link to clear things up?

thankS!
    FB
Page 1
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 12th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    wesleyad
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:42 AM
    Hi FB,

If you are returning under warranty then it is down to what the warranty terms state. All warranties are different, but there's nothing stopping them asking return costs if that's what it says. You should only be not responsible for costs if you are returning under statutory rights (normally within 6 months).

So basically try and find the t&c's of the warranty and check
    • foolishboy
    • By foolishboy 12th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    foolishboy
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    Hi FB,

If you are returning under warranty then it is down to what the warranty terms state. All warranties are different, but there's nothing stopping them asking return costs if that's what it says. You should only be not responsible for costs if you are returning under statutory rights (normally within 6 months).

So basically try and find the t&c's of the warranty and check
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    Fair enough, that's what their T&C states, seems unfair if an item fails during warranty you get stung for returning it but so be it - guess that's the trade off for online shopping :-)

Cheers!
    • wesleyad
    • By wesleyad 12th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 106 Thanks
    wesleyad
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    Well a warranty is above and beyond your statutory rights so really it's an added bonus. Some are great (5 years, new for old, they pay postage etc), some are not so good, some are non existent. Really they don't have to offer anything so it's a bit harsh to call it unfair; with a lot of other companies you would currently be left with a faulty item.
    • foolishboy
    • By foolishboy 12th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    foolishboy
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    Well a warranty is above and beyond your statutory rights so really it's an added bonus. Some are great (5 years, new for old, they pay postage etc), some are not so good, some are non existent. Really they don't have to offer anything so it's a bit harsh to call it unfair; with a lot of other companies you would currently be left with a faulty item.
    Originally posted by wesleyad
    ..within a year? I can't remember the last time I saw an item (new) with less than 12 months warranty on it. Points taken
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

254Posts Today

2,414Users online

Martin's Twitter