Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 12th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 62Posts
    • 20Thanks
    Jm90
    Trying to rent with CCJ
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    Trying to rent with CCJ 12th Jan 18 at 10:10 AM
    Hi all, myself and family have fallen in love with a property.

We have said yes and paid £275 for the referencing checks and were honest about husbands ccj from years ago.
    We earn nearly 50k a year combined, however they still wanted a guarantor, thats fine, my dad was happy to do this he lives off savings of 15k for now.
    I told the estate agents this before paying an additional £50 to reference him, we also owns on home outright as of april.
    However, they came back and said he would actually need to be earning 28k per year to be able to be put down as a guarantor - 12months rent.
    We explained hes due to start employment in march they said it needed to be now, can't he be employed now at the time of referencing.
    My husband called them and said well what if i employ hom at 30k through my own business. They said that should work? Will it?
    Before we asked if our business could act as guarantor and they said no as been going just under a year.

They said we could pay 6 months up front then bond they would hold that until the end of the tenancy then we get it back. Our vat bill is due and we arnt able to do that plus carry on paying rent as other things will fall behind.

Can anyone advise what else we could do?

Thanks
Page 1
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 12th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 6,148 Posts
    • 7,913 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    Could your dad lend you the money to pay the 6 months up front?
    The short answer is that the landlord is entitled to decide not to rent to you unless they are satisfied that the rent will be paid.

It might be possible for you to try to negotiate - for instance 3 months up front rather than 6, but you can't force them.

If your company were to employ your father you would have to pay tax & NI, do normal employee checks and enroll him in a pension, and I think there might still be issues if the reality is that he isn't actually working for you- you'd need to check with your accountant whether it would be allowable, but I suspect that unless he is going to be a genuine employee it might well create any number of issues (and the letting agency will not be experts in employment or tax law or in any position to advise you about whether this is really an option)
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:23 AM

We have said yes and paid £275 for the referencing checks and were honest about husbands ccj from years ago. - satisfied?
    We earn nearly 50k a year combined, however they still wanted a guarantor, thats fine, my dad was happy to do this he lives off savings of 15k for now. - he only has 15k??
    I told the estate agents this before paying an additional £50 to reference him, we also owns on home outright as of april.
    However, they came back and said he would actually need to be earning 28k per year to be able to be put down as a guarantor - 12months rent. - They're stupid then. As the annual income is irrelevant on a monthly rolling debt!
    We explained hes due to start employment in march they said it needed to be now, can't he be employed now at the time of referencing.
    My husband called them and said well what if i employ hom at 30k through my own business. They said that should work? Will it? - maybe. I don't know. I think you're jumping thru too many hoops.
    Before we asked if our business could act as guarantor and they said no as been going just under a year.

They said we could pay 6 months up front then bond they would hold that until the end of the tenancy then we get it back. - they're even more stupid. Taking such a large deposit puts you in a very strong position (automatic right of assignment) - it's a premium Our vat bill is due and we arnt able to do that plus carry on paying rent as other things will fall behind.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jm90
    Find another property. (with a different agent)
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 12th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    Thanks both, I'm going to speak to the accountant today.
    My father only has 15k at the moment and his house, he lost his job, and due to start another in march.
    They have said he would need 28k annually to be able to cover the full 12 month rental? Seems odd. They wouldnt even consider a 6 month tenancy.

I feel like we are jumping through every hoop possible to be honest at the moment. Im not sure what to do now.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 12th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    Thanks both, I'm going to speak to the accountant today.
    My father only has 15k at the moment and his house, he lost his job, and due to start another in march.
    They have said he would need 28k annually to be able to cover the full 12 month rental? Seems odd. They wouldnt even consider a 6 month tenancy.

I feel like we are jumping through every hoop possible to be honest at the moment. Im not sure what to do now.

What's the monthly rent? - im not sure why im even entertaining the agents suggestion, because the length of the tenancy isn't relevant, but anyway
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 12th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    Its £795 per month
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 1:21 PM
    Well it isn't a complete waste of time at least you now know what the agent is like and how they are likely to act during the tenancy? Has the debt that caused the CCJ been paid off? If not you are going to find it difficult to rent anything because a CCJ that hasn't been satisfied is a red flat to a landlord that a tenant is not good with money and paying what is owed so it could put their rent at risk.

If this property is desirable and easy to let the agents will prefer someone who doesn't have a CCJ or a guarantor who doesn't have a job and is living off £15k savings so they are likely to be looking for someone else. In which case whatever you do you won't get this property.

You wouldn't be considered for one of our properties if the CCJ debt has not been paid. If it had the letting agent would ask for a guarantor who could afford to pay the rent if you didn't.

It sounds as if the agent in your case doesn't think that your father can be relied upon to pay the rent because at present he is currently unemployed and living off savings.

I think it is unlikely that you will get this property.
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 13th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    Right, so a few of you have asked if this CCJ in question had been settled.
    We didn't know the answer to this as we were completely unaware of husband ever having one in the first place.
    It came up on clear score recently after we checked before applying for private renting.

We have been trying to find out where its came from and thought experian would hold more details of this CCJ

However they have no record of it now or in the past?
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 13th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:05 AM
    I assumed said ccj was from years ago, but we didnt know where from as we definitly have not had one recently.
    It says online i can pay to check but i have to put in an address and we have moved 3x in the last few years so i dont know whether to trust experian or leave them thinking we have a ccj, incase they feel we are trying to say anything to get the place
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 13th Jan 18, 1:17 PM
    • 3,522 Posts
    • 4,874 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    I assumed said ccj was from years ago, but we didnt know where from as we definitly have not had one recently.
    It says online i can pay to check but i have to put in an address and we have moved 3x in the last few years so i dont know whether to trust experian or leave them thinking we have a ccj, incase they feel we are trying to say anything to get the place
    While that CCJ keeps turning up on the credit checks it is going to make renting anywhere difficult so if you want to rent somewhere it would be a good idea to find out what it is and whether the debt has been paid.
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 13th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    I agree but the ccj only comes up on clear score, not on experian, we have also paid for a full credit report and it is not on there anywhere either
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 13th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    Comms69
    FGS the CCJ is a PUBLIC record. The only thing that agents can check.

Want more details go to: trustonline.org.uk - holds all CCJs
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 13th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    Sorry!
    I didnt realise how it all worked
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 13th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    England and wales orders and judgments: Nothing registered

England and wales high court judgments: Nothing registered

Thats off the trustonline website
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 13th Jan 18, 4:02 PM
    • 8,713 Posts
    • 5,163 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Ask Clearscore to check their records and explain why they show a CCJ not listed anywhere else.
    • parkrunner
    • By parkrunner 13th Jan 18, 4:10 PM
    • 871 Posts
    • 1,290 Thanks
    parkrunner

We have said yes and paid £275 for the referencing checks and were honest about husbands ccj from years ago.
    We earn nearly 50k a year combined, however they still wanted a guarantor, thats fine, my dad was happy to do this he lives off savings of 15k for now.
    However, they came back and said he would actually need to be earning 28k per year to be able to be put down as a guarantor - 12months rent.
    My husband called them and said well what if i employ hom at 30k through my own business. They said that should work? Will it?

They said we could pay 6 months up front then bond they would hold that until the end of the tenancy then we get it back. Our vat bill is due and we arnt able to do that plus carry on paying rent as other things will fall behind.

Thanks
    Just do that and get your dad to pay the six months upfront out of his £15,000 savings.
    • Jm90
    • By Jm90 13th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 62 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    Jm90
    As much as i would love it if he would do that for me, he wouldn't.

I will contact clear score

I just assumed if you was given a ccj it would show on all of the main credit report agencies
    • WorkingTowardsDebtFree
    • By WorkingTowardsDebtFree 13th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    WorkingTowardsDebtFree
    I've seen landlord insurance companies setting requirements in the past on tenants credit histories in order for their insurance to cover the tenant not paying.... It means that they have to be entirely comfortable and pretty darn sure that they're not going to be out of pocket - which means the risk is practically zero and they're just cashing in off the landlord.

These schemes can get pushed by estate agents who I believe get a commission.

Going to another agent, therefore, may result in similar situations, unfortunately - but it's really down to the agent, any landlord insurance scheme, and ultimately the landlord of any particular property you're looking to rent.

With regards to the CCJ, if TrustOnline doesn't show it and only ClearScore does, I would suggest that this could be an issue with the Equifax report. Double-check the address that the CCJ is registered against on ClearScore - make sure that it matches an address he's lived at and that the address is the one searched through TrustOnline.

The three Credit Reference Agencies should all be pulling from TrustOnline (Equifax, Experian, Call Credit). As long as all three have all addresses that he's lived at for 6 years, if it's on one then it should be on all. Likewise you can access the reports from the three CRAs through ClearScore, MoneySavingExpert Credit Club and Noddle respectively, and as long as all addresses from the past 6 years that he's lived at are registered with those websites, if it's on one then it should be on all.

If something is wrong (address isn't one of his addresses, name is wrong, it's definitely not on TrustOnline) then contact ClearScore to raise a dispute and get it removed. As that can take 28 days and be more painful than it should be explaining the situation and having to bounce backwards and forwards to get it sorted, also explain the situation to the Estate Agent and ask them to search TrustOnline directly for proof. Offer to cover the £4 per address he's lived at for the past 6 years if that helps and you really want the house.

Hope that helps, and good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

838Posts Today

6,624Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin