Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GKOMW
    • By GKOMW 11th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GKOMW
    Children’s Earnings viral video
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    Children’s Earnings viral video 11th Jan 18 at 11:16 PM
    Hi
    My toddler starred in a video that went viral and made her some money. This all started when I posted the video on my YouTube account and media company spotted it. I want her to have all the income from it but fear I may have messed up. I signed the contract as the owner of the video and the earnings are in my paypal/bank account. I want to set up an account for her to transfer the money into, but I am now worried that I may be liable for tax (I am a employed.) If all the earnings the video made were to be deposited in her account will that be enough to satisfy HMRC. The earnings are below the child’s personalTax threshold. Thanks
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 11th Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    • 2,997 Posts
    • 1,712 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:52 PM
    Presumably you made the video? If you made the video, signed the contract for media rights and received the money I’d say it was your video and your income, not your daughter’s unfortunately.

Also bear in mind, if it’s a significant amount and you put it into an account in her name, if it earns more than Ł100 interest in a year then you’ll be taxed on that too, unless you put it in a junior ISA.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 19,187 Posts
    • 14,843 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    Your toddler can't sign a contract anyway (practically and legally) so it's either pay the money to you or don't have any at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,726Posts Today

9,532Users online

Martin's Twitter