Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• LosPollosHenmanos
    • By LosPollosHenmanos 11th Jan 18, 10:05 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Britannia Parking PCN Portswood Centre, Souhtampton
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:05 PM
    Britannia Parking PCN Portswood Centre, Souhtampton 11th Jan 18 at 10:05 PM
    Hi All,
    I’ve read the newbie thread and would just like some pointers before lodging an appeal for overstaying by 17 minutes at the Portswood Centre car park in Southampton (managed by Britannia Parking). Date of notice is 8th Jan. I’ve read a few appeals now (and some ongoing) for this car park and the PPC across this forum and pepipoo. Great effort in compiling all the helpful info.
    Notice was posted to relative who is the RK. It was at night with the car park poorly lit with woefully inadequate signage. Driver has not been disclosed (and will not be). I plan to submit a soft appeal using the BPA member template, just wanted to know if the below could be considered not complying with POFA? Also should I bother including the DVLA/keeper paragraph in the BPA template seeing as postal charge notice was served (no window). I guess I should just keep it in as it will probably be just a generic response from BP anyways and the first appeal is only going to go one way.
    The Charge notice initially states in the largest lettering that payment of £100.00 is to be made within 28 days but then contradicts itself by mentioning 29 days two consecutive times after on the front page of the charge notice. See extract below.

“Parking Charge Amount Due £100.00
    Payment to be made within 28 Days of issue
    The parking charge is discounted to £60 if paid within 14 days of the date of issue
    After 29 days the full parking charge amount is due
    Contravention: Parked longer than the maximum time permitted
    Entry Details: -
    Exit Details: -

Later POFA paragraph on front page:
    You are notified under paragraph 9(2)(b) of schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedom Act 2012 that the driver of the motor vehicle is required to pay this parking charge in full. As we do not know the drivers name of current address, and if you were not the driver of the vehicle at the time, you should tell us the name and current postal address of the driver and pass this notice to them.
    You are advised that if, after 29 days from the date given, the Parking charge has not been paid in full and we do not know both the name and current address of the driver, we have the right to recover any unpaid part of the Parking Charge from the registered keeper. This warning is given to you under Paragraph 9(2)(f) of schedule 4 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 and is subject to our complying with the applicable conditions under the schedule 4 of that Act.”

Would this discrepancy be worth including at the second stage of appeal (I’m on the yes side)? If so I would likely be including the following points at a POPLA appeal:

1. Inadequate signage – using info posted on newbie thread plus photo evidence
    2. Contradictory Non POFA PCN (28 or 29 days to pay, make your mind up?)
    3. No evidence of landowner authority.
    4. Mention of grace periods IF the signage was adequate to begin with in the poorly lit carpark at night time (referring to BPA COP).
    Fortunately I have a relative in Southampton who was also invoiced (and planning to appeal) and lives in close proximity to the car park and so should be able to provide ample photo evidence particularly of poor signage on entry in the dark.
    Once again, thank you for all the effort put into this forum.
    Any other pointers let me know. Look forward to Britannia’s rejection and the ensuing POPLA appeal. Will post second stage appeal drafts on this thread. Thank you for your time.
Page 1
    • Redx
    • By Redx 11th Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    • 17,448 Posts
    • 21,897 Thanks
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:42 PM
    change the blue text appeal by adding 6 characters to that paragraph making it into the past tense

Should you have obtained

it really is that simple, then submit it as KEEPER

use each and every point you possibly can in the POPLA APPEAL , including

any BPA CoP failures
    any NTK failures
    any POFA2012 FAILURES
    not the same as BEAVIS

Newbies !!
    Private Parking ticket? check the 2 sticky threads by coupon-mad and crabman in the Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking Board forum for the latest advice or maybe try pepipoo or C.A.G. or legal beagles forums if you need legal advice as well because this parking forum is not about debt collectors or legal matters per se
    • LosPollosHenmanos
    • By LosPollosHenmanos 15th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:20 PM
    Just a small bump to update on the progress of appeal.

First appeal was made and rejected (unsurprisingly) with a letter that included the ANPR photos and signs from a different car park and not signs from the actual Portswood Centre car park.

Additionally Britannia incorrectly stated in the letter that the grace period for the car park was 10 minutes, wrongly lumping the grace period allowed for locating signs, locating parking space and reading the poorly written terms and conditions, with the minimum 10 minutes grace period to leave at end of parking.

Bit behind on the POPLA appeal draft but slogging away. Should be a beautiful bulky document once finished.
    • LosPollosHenmanos
    • By LosPollosHenmanos 15th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    One more question I forgot to ask. Can you upload multiple documents to the POPLA website or will it have to be one single beast of a document?
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 15th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 54,755 Posts
    • 68,440 Thanks
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    • 15th Mar 18, 9:42 PM
    You WANT it to be one beast of a document with pictures. NOT lots of uploads.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,778Posts Today

6,860Users online

Martin's Twitter