Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • robgoode
    • By robgoode 11th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 31Thanks
    robgoode
    First Time Mortgage
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:04 PM
    First Time Mortgage 11th Jan 18 at 9:04 PM
    I was in touch with my broker today regarding my first mortgage. Got offered a few quotes on various mortgages such as HTB and 10% deposit but found most of the results were more expensive than prices I managed to find myself.

Now is this likely because the broker is steering me towards mortgages that Iím likely to be accepted for based on my criteria and circumstances and avoiding ones that Iím not likely to get?

Iím going to try a second broker to see what prices come back but wondered if anyone else is going through the same process and got any tips on good first time mortgages.
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 11th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 10,170 Posts
    • 3,980 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    A Broker would have to be pretty stupid not to be steering you toward mortgages you are likely to get and away from the others.

It’s not about price, it’s about acceptance and price.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Edi81
    • By Edi81 11th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    Edi81
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    What’s unusual about your circumstances?
    How much more expensive are we talking?
    As Ann says - it’s not a brokers interest to point you to mortgages you are unlikely to get.
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 11th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 6,777 Posts
    • 48,190 Thanks
    kerri gt
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:37 PM
    Did you actually ask your broker this question? With the best will in the world we can speculate on here but you need to have the conversation with your broker.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• robgoode
    • By robgoode 11th Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    robgoode
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    Nothing unusual about circumstances. Due to delay on site we have saved a bigger deposit than thought. So we have opted for 10% deposit instead of HTB. Got quotes on both options tho emailed through. Got a call to the broker to make at the weekend, just didn’t want to do it too late at night to ask about the prices quoted.

It’s my first mortgage application so overthinking things a little,
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,671Posts Today

11,325Users online

Martin's Twitter