Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 11th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 528Posts
    • 428Thanks
    Rich2808
    Council tax support claim - joint accounts with partner who has moved to care home
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    Council tax support claim - joint accounts with partner who has moved to care home 11th Jan 18 at 8:25 PM
    My father moved into a nursing home last month permanently and the costs are being fully picked up by the NHS - it is end of life care so is expected to continue until he dies.

My mother has made an application for pension credit as she would be eligible based on her savings and income backdated to when he moved to the nursing home - but we were told we wouldn't hear the result of the application for up to six weeks. They have a joint bank account and savings account - although my fathers pensions are now paid into a separate account in his own name and my mothers attendance allowance/own modest state pension is paid into another account in her sole name.

The joint savings account has about £13,000 in it and the joint bank account around £250 i.e. less than £16,000 savings limit. She has no other savings.

When I tried to apply for council tax support online for her it asks for balances on all accounts - but makes no differentiation between sole accounts and joint ones. So I stalled the application to get more advice first.

When I am asked for the balances on the joint accounts do I input 50% of the balances or 100% on the online form. When we applied for pension credit they asked me to quote 50% - but the CTS claim asks for the total balance and seems not to allow you to say if an account is joint or sole? Is it different if the joint account is held with a partner as opposed to someone else?

Also would it be better to close the joint savings account and split the proceeds 50/50 between two sole accounts before applying. In practice it is really all my dad's money from his pensions and my mum doesn't save her money but spends it!
    Last edited by Rich2808; 11-01-2018 at 8:33 PM.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,136Posts Today

8,325Users online

Martin's Twitter